AH in hospital with liver failure

Old 02-16-2010, 03:25 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

AH in hospital with liver failure

On Sunday, he called an ambulance, and then he called me at work. I got home within five minutes cos my boss drove me. He was in cardiac arrest, and they took him to local hospital, and he got taken to the city hospital, and he has liver failure, and all the fluid build up, his guts was bloated out like a nine month pregnant woman with twins, and his feet ankles and legs were blown up. The toxins caused a heart attack, and they are draining him slowly, and its painful as hell for him. A needle and a hose in his abdomen, they drained seven litres over 12 hours, and his guts keeps filling up. I know he cant drink there, I know i say he ***** me, but I am not ready to lose him. I hope this will wake him up, and he gets better.
Old 02-16-2010, 03:28 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Im so sorry your going thru this. it must be so heartbreaking. You are in my thoughts and prayers
Old 02-16-2010, 03:34 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

thanks deb, I dont know whats going to happen, Im seeing him tomorrow night, my friend is driving me there to the city to see him, but when I stayed the whole night and next day with him, he was so awful to me, the nurse told me to go home cos he was being so mean to me.
Old 02-16-2010, 03:49 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I will keep updating, if Im not on for a while, its cos im not able to sit and get online. I did this weird thing yesterday, I came home and cleaned the house, and I cooked massive amounts of pumpkin soup and my famous vegetarian lasagne, and i didnt eat none, I packed up 30 containers, and froze them. NFI why I did that. I will post back soon as I am able. God bless all, love Lea
Old 02-16-2010, 04:33 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

sometimes i cook when i'm anxious. my daughter bakes. the other kid cleans. we don't eat the food, but somehow it's theraputic to be in the kitchen and cooking. i'm so sorry that he is in the hospital and you are on the receiving end of his ugly. he is probably full of fear and that generates anger and you happen to be there to receive it. the nurse gave you good advice and hopefully when you do go visit him again, you will put on your thick skin.
Old 02-16-2010, 05:03 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

((())) for you and your family CF. My thoughts are with you.

the nurse told me to go home cos he was being so mean to me.
sounds like a wise woman, she will have seen all of this before, he is in the best place with the people who know what to do caring for him.

Are you getting some respite? someone to talk through your fears and hopes with? I would have said someone to cook you a hot meal but you appeear to have that well covered!
Old 02-16-2010, 05:42 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
peaceful seabird

(((Leah)))

Your A is in the care of professionals. You have done all you can. Let them care for him now. You don't owe him anything. He made the choice to keep drinking against doctor's orders. The doctor told him if he continued it would kill him. This is his chosen path.

Remember: You didn't cause this, you could not control this and you will not be able to cure this for him.

Your life is precious. How much more of your one precious life are you willing to give away to alcoholic chaos?

I was a fixer and giver. Always doing for others to the point of my own exhaustion. I am finally learning to accept my limitations and establish my own personal boundaries.

I learned a visual analogy about caring for myself (leaerned it here at SR). This is how:
When you fly on a commercial airplane, part of the pre-takeoff checklist is a safety speech by the flight attendant. The crew demonstrates what to do in case of an actual emergency. In the event of loss of cabin pressure, the air masks will drop down. We are instructed to put on our OWN airmask BEFORE assisting other passengers.

I can't be supportive to another passenger in life, if I have failed to take steps to support my own life.

It is not selfish to detach from an alcoholics drama in order to take care of ourselves.
Old 02-16-2010, 05:55 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Prayers coming your way for comfort and peace

This is not your fault...don't think that for a minute.
He did not listen to the doctors....that is a fact.
It's sad....it's tragic but it's also a true fact.
Old 02-16-2010, 06:12 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

We are here and we understand. It was important for me to remember those 3 c's:

I didn't cause it
I can't control it and
I can't cure it.

Trust me, we've all tried. We tried hard. We did everything we knew how to do to get our loved ones to quit self destructing and to come back to the ones who loved them. Some of went to meetings, others did all sorts of research. And somehow we landed here... where we could listen to those who had gone before us.

There aren't easy answers, but there is hope, and there is light and life and happiness out there for you, whether your loved one continues to drink/use or not. For me, the changes came in baby steps - little things I did differently for myself, boundaries I set. And my life got better.

I hope you're able to get some good rest and find some peace of your own during this difficult time.
Old 02-16-2010, 06:12 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

thank you everyone, I just cant sleep, Im wired, Pelican, thats an amazing comparison with the air flight, Im fine, i really am. Love leah.
Old 02-16-2010, 06:19 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Leah,

Just offering my little cyber-hug. Try and take care of yourself.
Old 02-16-2010, 06:20 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

sending you hugs and restful thoughts, all the way from Canada.
Old 02-16-2010, 06:20 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thanks cats, carol, and insulated and JenT, Im reading, I got one thing to say, and its thanks. Thanks you all.
Old 02-16-2010, 06:26 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
peaceful seabird

We're here for you Leah.

WE love you and support you!
Old 02-16-2010, 06:27 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

(((((((((((((((CashFan)))))))))))))))
Thoughts and prayers going out to you today....
peace-
b
Old 02-16-2010, 06:29 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

thanks coffee and no day.
Im trying to get my shyte together, hey I better go to bed, its 1 am here. Thanks everyone, Im doing OK. You know, in my head, I wanted this, for him to die. In my heart, I cant bear to lose him. I am going to bed, but thanks everyone here for being an ear for me. Im OK, thanks for being my mates. Leah
Old 02-16-2010, 10:28 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

Hi Leah.... offering hugs and support. Down here it is a very very sunny, wonderful day, I wish you were here to enjoy it. I too tend to clean at odd times of the night, it is great to get rid of stuff and clean things, I try to think I am also cleaning my soul...

Hand him to HP, hand yourself to HP.... those are his consequences... and no, you dont owe him anything, and if he is mean you dont have to be there absorbing his anger and pain.. it is his.

A visualization technique is to imagine him and you tied with all sorts of cords, you can imagine their color, their texture, where the connections are.. (coming out from your mind, heart, gut, wherever you feel them) then imagine a bright golden light dissolves them one by one...and you can cut them one by one as well....
Old 02-21-2010, 07:25 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Taking charge, thats a good idea, I try and be spiritual and visualise. He is home, he hasnt drank, and I really believe he is too afraid to. He also needs no salt, and no fat. he is on a heap of meds, but is not allowed any pain killers, even panadol/tylenol. He is pretty well useless. What I dont understand is his life expectany. Here in Aus, well South Aus, the doctors are not even allowed to tell the wife anything. I wanted to ask if his liver can get better or if its too late. Hubby says they never told him, but the nurses there told me "He knows". On his release forms, they have put alcoholic hepatitis on background of liver cirrohsis. I googled, and I see some say that developing alcholic hepatitis while at cirrohsis stage is near the end. Im confused, cos I read that alcholic hepatitis can be reversed if alchol is ceased. Sorry for spelling mistakes. Sadly, my husband suffers Lupus (I have scleroderma), so I know that will complicate things. I am fine, but basically I am his carer not his wife anymore.
Old 02-21-2010, 07:37 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

*Prayers*
Old 02-21-2010, 07:39 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Thank you barb