relationships after "the aftermath"

Old 11-17-2010, 06:33 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

A number of years ago I bought a book called "Idiots Guide to Healthy Relationships". If you aren't familiar with Idiots books, they are like the For Dummies series. No offense meant by the title - its supposed to be funny / quirky.

When I bought it, I did so because I had recently come to the conclusion that I really had no idea what a healthy relationship looked like. I certainly had never had one!

It had a lot of good information in it, some questionnaires etc. I didn't agree with everything it said, but it made me think and evaluate my history, past relationships with friends, co workers, family and significant others.

I have healthier relationships today. It took learning, and practice, guidance, counseling. I had to unlearn a whole lotta stuff...
Old 11-17-2010, 07:16 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

"Idiots Guide to Healthy Relationships".
well, i gotta say, i am going to check it out on amazon.
i have no idea, absolutely none, how a healthy relationship works.
i only know i don't want.
LOL
gotta go see it.
Old 11-17-2010, 07:44 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Floss View Post
That's great news hmbld! You're living proof, learning to love yourself attracts people who love and accept you back!
Below is what he sent me when I was balking at getting serious. I bombarded the man with anything and everything I figured he would not like about me and things I've done in my past that I'm not proud of. I even sent him here to read my posts to show him that I was not this perfect, wonderful person that he thought I was. Even after all of that he still thought I was pretty perfect and still does. It's only been ten months, but it gets better and better every day.

"I just wanted to say that you are my world. You are the girl that I have wanted all my life. I know that we have many obstacles ahead of us but I know that we will get through each and every one of those together. We both have pasts and there might be some things in our pasts that we are not proud of, but I think that we should just chalk that up to experience. All I care about is our future together. It is going to take time but I do know that everything is going to work out for us. I adore you. I always have. You are the one for me. Now and forever. I am in awe of how much I care about you. All I want to do is care for you and make sure you are happy the rest of your life."

This is far better than the constant barrage of angry insults by a raging alcoholic.