Emotional Abuse Article, "From the Abuser's Point of View"

Old 12-07-2011, 04:46 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Thank you for reposting this. I mean, Holy Tamale. If that wasn't my boyfriend who wrote that, then I don't know who did it. I am on to his game and I am beginning to find myself now. What a great validation for ME to be able to read what I have been trying to say for years! Sigh, living with alcoholism/addiction makes a heart quite heavy, doesn't it?
Old 05-05-2012, 10:24 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Oh my god. Was this written by an actual abuser? It's almost...psychotic, the *manipulation* that goes into this. It is exactly what I am living right now. I can't even pick something to highlight as a similarity because it all fits. It all. Fits.
Old 10-07-2012, 08:25 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

This is a great article and totally seems spot on with what I have been through
Old 10-07-2012, 09:21 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

On the website is a comment "you are a target, not a victim". I think this is really important to remember for most of us here.

Thanks for the bump, Ziggy.
Old 10-07-2012, 11:22 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  
Iceberg Ahead!

The same lines can be heard when one tries to get marital counseling with an alcoholic/addict:
"We are different people so we communicate differently so we're like incompatible so counseling is a waste of time, it's too hard and I'm not putting any work into it."
Well, aren't we all different people? Weren't we different when we first met? Didn't we communicate when we met, dated, got engaged, got married, had kids, etc.? Isn't the very essence of communication having two different people on the same page, connecting, speaking the same language? How was that done all these years then? So we were incompatible from the start and at every marker and milestone? You mean you're averse to work even though you're a workaholic? You mean doing something for our family and us is a waste of time? Don't tons of couples get marital counseling for communication or other differences? One can't make "sanity" out of the A's "insanity."

What's really going on is "self-will run riot," the "isms," the "stinking thinking" surrounding the "addictive" or "self-loathing" core of the A's brain. A brain in need of Sobriety-Recovery. Generally, the alcohol and addiction must be dealt with first. That seems to be the answer.
Old 10-07-2012, 12:54 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

This is so my soon to be ex-husband...everything. Scarily accurate.
Old 10-07-2012, 01:23 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

I've read this before but felt the need to print it today! I'd say that 90% of it applies to my A. Crazy stuff!
Old 10-07-2012, 03:42 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Boy, I can say that none of this applies to my husband.

But I wonder if any of it applies to me? Hmmmmm . . . it's very interesting to turn this all around and use "he" instead of "her". I'm not sure this only applies to the person with the addiction -

"if I let my partner get into my head, I will be under his rule and will be smothered. I will lose myself. To prevent this, I will subconsciously and consciously distance myself from my partner to keep him from overtaking me, while giving him fleeting moments of tenderness to keep him near me."
Old 10-07-2012, 03:42 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

I have also printed this today, 100% accurate and a great reminder to watch for the signs and get out early before things get too emotionally difficult
Old 10-07-2012, 05:16 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Chrysalis123 View Post

I will interrupt her and dismiss her opinions.
He has not allowed me to finish a sentence in over a year.

I will scoff at her interests as well as her choices and habits.
Yep.
My opinion about ANYTHING is wrong.

I will make sure I tell my friends and family that her only moods are depressed, hysterical, joyless and bitter, and nothing I do is ever enough for her. That way I can make an ironclad case that proves to everyone, including myself, that it is her fault when she leaves me.
Bingo.
Old 10-08-2012, 06:21 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  
cli

Originally Posted by JenT1968 View Post
partners aside, in all honesty I can see my behaviour in some of this.

I'm not proud of it and its not intentionally, (or perhaps better worded as not consciously), done in the way the article articulates. Not that it makes a bit of difference to the person on the receiving end. Do you think anyone who uses these techniques does so consciously?

This is how I learned to argue, and its poisonous, I know,
JenT1968, that was my first thought as well! It's important for us all to realize, whether we're the abused or the abuser, that these are not purposeful Machiavellian evil conspiracies. No one consciously "targets" a "victim" with the ultimate endgame of sucking the life out them.

Yeah sure, ultimately the life was sucked out of me, but it wasn't because my RAXBF consciously and consistently invented new ways to demean me. He just wanted what he wanted, and he said and did things to get what he wanted immediately at the moment. (Of course I happily gave him my whole world, but that's between me and Al-Anon now.)

I do appreciate these "inside the mind of..." posts, but from my own experience, true evil is not that smart!
Old 10-08-2012, 07:45 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  
Iceberg Ahead!

Except for some psychopaths.
Old 10-08-2012, 07:53 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by cli View Post
JenT1968, that was my first thought as well! It's important for us all to realize, whether we're the abused or the abuser, that these are not purposeful Machiavellian evil conspiracies. No one consciously "targets" a "victim" with the ultimate endgame of sucking the life out them.

Yeah sure, ultimately the life was sucked out of me, but it wasn't because my RAXBF consciously and consistently invented new ways to demean me. He just wanted what he wanted, and he said and did things to get what he wanted immediately at the moment. (Of course I happily gave him my whole world, but that's between me and Al-Anon now.)

I do appreciate these "inside the mind of..." posts, but from my own experience, true evil is not that smart!
I really have to wonder. I mean, my ex repeated the same patterns of verbal abuse and anger with every woman he has been seriously involved with in the last 10 years. In spite of the fact that he must have known he was hurting people, he never tried to get any help. Of course why I stuck with him for so long, yeah that's totally my crap to deal with but anyway..... at least when I have a problem I will try to resolve it through therapy, meditation, or any means possible.
Old 10-08-2012, 09:48 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  
cli

Originally Posted by Titanic View Post
Except for some psychopaths.
Originally Posted by ZiggyB View Post
In spite of the fact that he must have known he was hurting people, he never tried to get any help.
Yes, exactly! I'm not excusing psychopathic behaviour, I'm merely pointing out that it may not be as systematically cruel and evil as it seems to us "victims" in hindsight.

Real-life villains don't plan their evil deeds from the beginning, like in a movie. Psychopaths are still just people, who may be incapable of caring how their actions hurt others. They may pretend to care, pretend to apologize, pretend to make amends, because they need to keep their friends. Because friends give them what they want...

As much as I despise my RAXBF at the moment, I don't doubt that he started our relationship with an open heart. He didn't fall in love with me because I was an injured lamb, ripe for his slaughter. He didn't look at me and consciously think, "Yeah, I'm going to ruin that powerful woman's life and have fun doing it."

No, he was simply a jerk. A psychopath. An addict. He wasn't capable of empathy, seeing things from other's POV, so all he saw was what he wanted and how his "loved ones" could be controlled to give it to him.

Of course I'm only speaking from my own experience. Perhaps y'alls partners truly are genius super villains, evil plotting from the day they met you, just like in a comic book. But I must content that you're probably giving too much credit to a dipstick. A mean and very dumb dipstick.
Old 10-08-2012, 09:53 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Well said, cli. My experience reading in the alcoholism forum and the newcomers to recovery forum is most don't set out to become what they are today. And most are genuinely horrified at how they treated people. But addiction is driving their brain and behavior.

Its not an excuse for bad behavior; it is an acknowledgement of compassion. And because I can have compassion doesn't mean I have to put up with bad behavior. But I can attest to compassion being an antidote to anger.
Old 10-08-2012, 10:26 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  
Iceberg Ahead!

Did Ted Bundy really "fall in love" with that girl in college who dumped him and broke his "heart" before he began killing her lookalikes? Was he capable of "love" as an untreated psychopath? Are there people who are incapable of any loving/empathetic feelings? If so, would most of them fall in the non-A camp because a great number of As drink to numb, repress or mask feelings?

I don't know the answers.
Old 10-08-2012, 11:06 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  
cli

Hey Titantic. Come on. You're so awesome, and I know you know better than this... Not all psychopaths are serial killers, and not all alcoholics are psychopaths. I actually prefer the term "sociopath" instead. It means exactly the same thing, but without the Ted Bundy associations...

Sociopaths have feelings, but only their own feelings. The suffering of others doesn't phase them very much. It's most marked by the lack of empathy or remorse, especially when it was suffering that they caused themselves. I'm not psychologically diagnosing anyone, or even calling anyone "crazy", but doesn't that blatantly selfish behaviour sound a bit like an addict to you? Especially an abusive addict..?
Old 10-08-2012, 11:11 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  
cli

Originally Posted by Tuffgirl View Post
Its not an excuse for bad behavior; it is an acknowledgement of compassion. And because I can have compassion doesn't mean I have to put up with bad behavior. But I can attest to compassion being an antidote to anger.
I adore this! Compassion, but without sympathy...
Old 10-08-2012, 12:00 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  
Iceberg Ahead!

Originally Posted by cli View Post
Hey Titantic. Come on. You're so awesome, and I know you know better than this... Not all psychopaths are serial killers, and not all alcoholics are psychopaths. I actually prefer the term "sociopath" instead. It means exactly the same thing, but without the Ted Bundy associations...

Sociopaths have feelings, but only their own feelings. The suffering of others doesn't phase them very much. It's most marked by the lack of empathy or remorse, especially when it was suffering that they caused themselves. I'm not psychologically diagnosing anyone, or even calling anyone "crazy", but doesn't that blatantly selfish behaviour sound a bit like an addict to you? Especially an abusive addict..?
Thanks cli! I wasn't drawing any conclusions ... just throwing out some food for thought and asking for enlightment ... "If so" was a poor choice of words ... and I learn something new every day!

I agree with you that there probably are some alcoholics who are sociopathic.
Old 10-08-2012, 01:19 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  
cli

Originally Posted by Titanic View Post
Thanks cli! I wasn't drawing any conclusions ... just throwing out some food for thought and asking for enlightment ... "If so" was a poor choice of words ... and I learn something new every day!

I agree with you that there probably are some alcoholics who are sociopathic.
Oh, of course! Titanic, you didn't make a poor choice of words, or say anything wrong whatsoever. I just happen to be very passionate about this issue, so I springboarded straight into my own rant...

Speaking of which! All I meant to say was that abusers, alcoholic or not, sociopathic/psychopathic or not, are still just humans. The train of thought outlined in the OP isn't literally what the abuser was thinking. Most likely, he or she wasn't thinking at all except for how to get more booze or more money for booze, and to invent new excuses to keep the "loved ones" just barely happy (or especially totally unhappy and/or trapped) enough to not leave them. It's not so Machiavellian. It's more just plain stupid...