16 year old nephew on a downhill slide

Old 12-27-2008, 04:33 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Your first concern is your kids. All you can do for your nephew is give him the ideas that have been posted and encourage him. Prayers for you and your family.
Old 12-27-2008, 05:13 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Thanks Copperpenny - short and to the point. I am beginning to feel more confident in making the decision to not take him in. I will always love him and try my hardest to let him know that my love is genuine.
Old 12-27-2008, 05:32 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Please don't try as far as love goes - just actually love him. That's what he needs. He is only 16 - he needs love and limits.
Old 12-27-2008, 06:38 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

First off, no your aren't being selfish in the least. You do what you need to for your family!

Second I highly recommend those boot camp schools. I put my son in one when he was 14 and it changed his life. He is now 19 and in college and a fine young man.

Most of the boys at the school my son went to were placed there by the juvie system. They paid all the very considerable costs. See if you can get the court to place him there. If not, well, that $50K was the best I have ever spent.
Old 12-27-2008, 07:04 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Toomutch View Post
Thank you for your post Freedom. I admire you for getting through those times. How are you and your daughter doing now?
We communicate better now than we ever have. She is now 20 and still living at home with me. She has periods where she will binge drink (away from the house, my home is alcohol-free as I am in recovery), and then will go for months not drinking, but has a lot of codependency traits. It's been tough to sit back and allow her to make her choices, right and wrong, but I am beginning to see some maturity in her.

She does hold a steady job, makes her own car payments/insurance payments, and has trained her own horse that she's had a little over a year now. He is her pride and joy, and I truly believe her passion for horses, and now having her own have kept her from going down the path of addiction that my 30 year old still is on.
Old 12-27-2008, 09:55 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
get it, give it, grow in it

Helping to find a proper placement may be the best you can do.
Your home is not an option until he proves that he has changed over a long
period of time. Your family does not need the chaos that an addict brings.

You can be an influence without him in your house. Although if he goes right back to
using upon release, it will be hard to positively influence him. Knowing that you care and are there when he is ready to quit drugs is okay