This weekend he wound up in restraints

Old 07-02-2008, 08:12 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lilyflower View Post
Reach out to your family SadandHopeless, there is nothing for you to feel ashamed of at all!! They probably know you are going through something, mine did.

This is his disease, all you have done is try to get your life back together, why should you feel badly about that?

I understand it is hard, making changes is never easy. I know from my experience and from what I have learnt in recovery so far that looking to myself and caring for myself first and foremost is the healthy thing to do. At first I thought it was selfish behaviour, but I soon realised that no one else out there was loking out for me, and to be honest, it wasn't their job to. I am an adult.

I used this realisation toward my ex, he was an adult and needed to take responsibility for himself. It wasn't my job to find him a AA group, or make sure he attended counselling. It wasn't my job to teach him how to take responsibilities either! It especially wasn't my job to get him sober.

All the time I spent doing those things for him, took me to a very low place where I was so miserable and felt exhausted, used lonely and unloved. i took his consequences away and enabled him.

i hope you talk to your family and keep progressing in YOUR recovery. Now that your AH has his tablets and is detoxing, he needs to take responsibility for his sobriety, that is not your job. I hope he gets into a recovery programme though as few make it without one. My exabf quit for weeks at a time, but always went back to it. Something would happen, go wrong, a party, a birthday, sometimes nothing at all would happen. he would always find a reason to drink again. I spent a year living on that roller coaster ride, before I finally knew I was done with it.

love and serenity to you
Lily xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Thank you for everythign you have said. you can tell for sure I am still in part denial not as bad as I used to be becuase i am hear. I am still hoping for a cure - today he actually called and scheduled himself to start an outpatient program and made all the calls to the insurnace, co and advised his weekly therapist of everything that is going on. This is the most responsibility he has taken regarding his addiction since I have known him. He is only 33 years old hopefully will have a long life ahead of him if he learns to care for himself. I did advise him that he needs to take his meds himself (I won't remind him or count pills) he needs to make sure he goes to his therapy on his own (I won't take him - unless there is no other option) and it was his own free will to seek out the outpatient - i was shocked as could be when he said he wanted to do it. I have heard him say a million times he was going to stop but never followed by actually wanting and seeking help.
Old 07-02-2008, 08:16 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lilyflower View Post
Reach out to your family SadandHopeless, there is nothing for you to feel ashamed of at all!! They probably know you are going through something, mine did.

This is his disease, all you have done is try to get your life back together, why should you feel badly about that?

I understand it is hard, making changes is never easy. I know from my experience and from what I have learnt in recovery so far that looking to myself and caring for myself first and foremost is the healthy thing to do. At first I thought it was selfish behaviour, but I soon realised that no one else out there was loking out for me, and to be honest, it wasn't their job to. I am an adult.

I used this realisation toward my ex, he was an adult and needed to take responsibility for himself. It wasn't my job to find him a AA group, or make sure he attended counselling. It wasn't my job to teach him how to take responsibilities either! It especially wasn't my job to get him sober.

All the time I spent doing those things for him, took me to a very low place where I was so miserable and felt exhausted, used lonely and unloved. i took his consequences away and enabled him.

i hope you talk to your family and keep progressing in YOUR recovery. Now that your AH has his tablets and is detoxing, he needs to take responsibility for his sobriety, that is not your job. I hope he gets into a recovery programme though as few make it without one. My exabf quit for weeks at a time, but always went back to it. Something would happen, go wrong, a party, a birthday, sometimes nothing at all would happen. he would always find a reason to drink again. I spent a year living on that roller coaster ride, before I finally knew I was done with it.

love and serenity to you
Lily xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I can't reach out to my family until I am passed the shame. He had a mild drinking problem when we married and I should have known then what was to come. I have reached out to my brother that my AH is very close with and my brother in law that is an doctor - my sister is mildly aware of the situation as well. Of course none of them know the extent of it at all, but it was a big step for me to say he got drunk a couple times in a month...I know that was a lie to them, but it was my first step in letting them know something was not right and I may need them. I know eventually will have no choice and will have to stop making excuses. The day has just not arrived for me yet. I find this site to be a great help to me and a great support to me.