My First Meeting...

Old 07-20-2007, 02:47 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My First Meeting...

Just wanted to let you guys know I went to my first meeting today. Wow. There I sat in a room full of people who got it. As I listened to those who shared, I found myself nodding like a bobble head doll, because I knew what they meant. Literally knew, not just felt sympathy. After the meeting I spoke to several people who listened to me, didn't judge or criticize, who understood. For any one out there thinking of going to a meeting, run, don't walk. Just, for once, to have real live, honest to God people hear what I needed to say and not only didn't look at me like I had three heads ~they knew exactly where I was coming from, and I was okay.
Can't wait to go again!!!
Old 07-20-2007, 03:05 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Ahhh, the music of recovery. I could listen to it all day long:-) Glad you enjoyed it, and I hope you continue going.
Old 07-20-2007, 03:14 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Ain't it great ? AA is the same way.
Old 07-20-2007, 03:19 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
I'm no angel!

Great! So many people fight going to meetings,fear of facing others, who really do understand. Meetings were my life raft.
Old 07-20-2007, 07:06 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Congrats on your first meeting! keep going, it was the best thing I ever did and I dont know why I waited so long.

I felt the same way you did after my first meeting. I felt SO GOOD to see people smile and nod their heads when I told my story. All these years I felt alone but now I realize that there are lots of people just like me out there experiencing the same things.
Old 07-20-2007, 10:03 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I went to my first Al-Anon meeting tonight as well. It felt strange saying my name without further qualification.

I found myself identifying with the issues of everyone in there. God does this disease go deep.
Old 07-21-2007, 03:58 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Good for you!!! I'm so glad you enjoyed your meeting and it sounds like you'll be going again.
Old 07-21-2007, 04:33 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I've been to two now, and they are like breathing pure oxygen. I love it.
Old 07-21-2007, 06:34 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

It's amazing the sheer relief you get by being surrounded by people who understand. Especially if, in your "normal" life, you have spent way too much time trying to explain why you've done/felt/tolerated what you've done/felt/tolerated to people who think they have the answers ~ and have no idea what the questions are.
Another amazing thing is just looking at the peole in the meeting. They aren't specific, and you truly get that alcohlism is an equal opportunity disease that doesn't care how much money you make, where you live, or how your last name is spelled. For the time I was in that meeting, no matter who we were we were all a family. I can't wait to go again, hopefully I can get to a meeting today.
Old 07-21-2007, 06:41 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
spirit

meetings are so good for the soul, it is sooooo good to be reminded about why one should go to them

hugs to you
kath