First time here

Old 05-09-2007, 04:10 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
ICU

Welcome SerenitySeekr. Glad to have you join us. When you're ready, please feel free to start a new thread of your own so that we may all begin to get to know you a little better too!
Old 05-09-2007, 06:34 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
let it grow!

Nice to meet you, VVV and Serenity Seekr. Blessings, K
Old 05-09-2007, 07:33 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

And I really do wonder how damaging it is for my daughters to see Mom putting up with all this **** from Dad. I sure hope they don't follow my example.
Welcome to SR VVV & Serenityseekr.

VVV I am a recovered alcoholic, I am also a parent, I can tell you right now that not only are your children being damaged by watching the way he treats you, they are being damaged by the things he does to them and him simply being around.

Think about the good of your kids, one of the rare instances where I will not say think about your self first, but by taking care of your kids you will indirectly benefit.

I have 6 kids, the 3 oldest are grown and have been out of the house for almost 10 years now, they did not have to suffer under me during my worst years of drinking, but they still carry a few scars due to me even then. My 3 youngest we raised during my worst years, the twins who were 14 when I sobered up still have a lot of issues even though I have been sober for over 7 months.

They have quit a few issues now due to my drinking, my sobering up has helped but they have a long way to go. They lost all respect for me resulting in them having a hard time being respectful of adults, they still resent me for all the times I embarrased them in front of thier friends because I was drunk. They have very little trust in men at all, they are getting better, but they have a ways to go, one of them tried to commit suicide before I sobered up.

An active alcoholic in the home causes so much mental harm and possible physical harm to children, I know, I live with the guilt of it every day. Right before I sobered up my wife was actively pursuing leaving me with the kids to save them and herself from me. Things are a whole lot better now, but it has taken a lot of work on my part to change the man I was, stopping drinking was simply a beginning to me getting sober, it has taken a lot of work on my part working the 12 steps of AA and attending meetings and working with my sponsor for me to change all of the other baggage I had other then drinking to start repairing the damage I was doing to my family.

As a recovered alcoholic I see the damage I have done to my kids, being sober now I can see that my wife was doing the right thing for my children.
Old 05-09-2007, 06:32 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Smile

Hi VVV, just wanted to say Hi. Your situation sounds very much like mine. I don't post much but I read a lot. SR is a great place, even for us lurkers.