stange odor

Old 01-29-2007, 05:43 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Apart from the "reek-o-death parfum de alcoholique" the snoring was unbearable. And he was always sweating. SO attractive! Oooh...and a huge beer gut too! Awww...you pee'd all over the bathroom floor again. Isn't that cute?
What? You can't have a normal conversation? So what? You manly man, you!

Last edited by Dolorosa; 01-29-2007 at 06:07 PM.
Old 01-29-2007, 06:53 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

I forgot to mention the swollen face. Is that common? His face just kept getting bigger. And of course, he had the droopy eyes. I never knew WHAT he was on. Oh! And the slow motion thing. When he'd eat, he would cut up his food reeealllyyy slowwwwly. It was the weirdest thing. I'm sure I'll think of more....
Old 01-29-2007, 07:08 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

I can't believe it any human beings choice to live this way, watching and feeling your body decaying.
Old 01-29-2007, 07:25 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

wow. i hope someday i can laugh at this too. it is totally disgusting. and i smelled it too. a lingering odor in my office. or in our bedroom in the middle of the day. it was so gross and made me cringe. the worst part is knowing it was coming from me.

there was always a constant worry that that i smelled if i went to a board or work meeting, or when I dropped off/picked up my kids from school. totally revolting. made me feel even worse. made me not want to face myself. made me want to run away and hide. made me want to drink more and just dissolve myself into an unknowing state.

no. i don't think it was my choice. it was my addiction.

thanks for the reminder. i needed to hear this.
Old 01-29-2007, 07:31 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

They say that your sense of smell, that is the things you smell, create a memory greater than any other sense. That is you will remember a smell, much longer than you will something you see, hear or touch.

God.......I remember that smell. Sickly sweet, and like you guys said, a smell I associate with illness. I remember my wife giving off that odor. The smell is associated also with the visual of a once beautiful woman, getting thinner, losing body mass...... as her drinking changed her into someone I know longer know. A person I do not want to know.
Old 01-30-2007, 04:30 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

scootinbabe.....

my xah would worry constantly about his hygiene. he would take at least 3 showers a day. he said he was rotting from the inside out. he did not drink around me after the first two weeks of our marriage....he would leave on bingers.

but even not drinking, he always had an obsession that he was rotten smelling. i never smelled it except for the times i would pull him out of motel rooms, near death from alcohol poisoning. and the first two weeks we were married.

but he still was obsessed about this issue. it was really sad. it hurt my heart for him.

and, no, i can't believe anyone would want this. it is a humble reminder that in active addiction, my husband had truly lost his way.

unfortunately, i did, also.
Old 01-30-2007, 04:40 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  
The girl with the broken smile

Originally Posted by guyinNC View Post
They say that your sense of smell, that is the things you smell, create a memory greater than any other sense. That is you will remember a smell, much longer than you will something you see, hear or touch.

I've heard the same and believe it to be true. The 1st thing I do when I am thinking of Mom is grab her scented lotion she always wore and put a dab on.
Old 01-30-2007, 07:07 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

My ABF's skin is yellowish on his upper cheeks just below his temples, and his face and neck are always beat red. He is starting to get that A-nose too. But those two places are the only yellow on him (except what is excreated from his feet) It has been that way for a long time. Even durring visits to the doctor with blood tests and everything. I keep thinking they will find SOMETHING!
Old 01-30-2007, 09:14 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

I never realized that the "yellow tint" to his undershirts, socks, was him sweating it out. How naive of me !!!!!! He also has the red tint to his face and nose, with droopy eyes. Oh, my goodness,
Old 01-30-2007, 09:15 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Every now and again he would complain about a pain in his lower rib cage area. Is that where the liver is?
Old 01-30-2007, 09:17 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lilac View Post
I never realized that the "yellow tint" to his undershirts, socks, was him sweating it out. How naive of me !!!!!! He also has the red tint to his face and nose, with droopy eyes. Oh, my goodness,
(((lilac))) I've had so many "oh my goodness" moments these last 2 years. Nothing like getting it all out in the open and realizing it's the same for everyone. Sometimes I feel like a real dope LOL.
Old 01-30-2007, 09:42 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  
The girl with the broken smile

Originally Posted by lilac View Post
Every now and again he would complain about a pain in his lower rib cage area. Is that where the liver is?
My husbandcomplains of the same thing. I'm not sure what it is. Anyone have any ideas?
Old 01-30-2007, 09:44 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Wow. My husband's pillow had yellow stains on it. And yes, his face was always yellow and red (and as I mentioned, swollen). Massive weight gain, too. I still can't believe he will NOT admit he has a problem.
Old 01-30-2007, 09:47 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Heavenlyx3 View Post
My husbandcomplains of the same thing. I'm not sure what it is. Anyone have any ideas?

could also be pancreas
Old 01-30-2007, 11:36 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  

It IS the pancreas.....for sure. I've done my homework...right before my ex left his pancreas was all messed up....
Old 01-30-2007, 12:19 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  

http://www.abc.virginia.gov/Educatio...lcoholBody.pdf

"The pancreas can become inflamed and leak digestive enzymes, which then attack the pancreas itself. "

I wonder if this could be what is causing the yellow secreations in ABF's feet!
Old 01-30-2007, 12:40 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Pancreatitis is unfortunately very common in alcoholics. BTW the liver (right abdominal area) and pancreas are neighbors.
Old 01-30-2007, 12:47 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Yeah, I'm reading some pretty scarry stuff on the internet.
Old 01-30-2007, 05:28 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by stillsearching View Post
Hi everyone,

I posted awhile ago about my husbands drinking...right now he is in the "I will cut back stage...again" But, I know he is still drinking heavily...but I have promised myself I am not going to search for it or bring it up again...because I know how it is...he does not want to quit, he has told me so...he does not want to go to counseling, he told me so. He does not believe that he chooses alcohol over his family...but he does...I know I could go on and on..and you too have heard it all before....he is nothing but a liar...who is manipulating his way through. He used to chew gum to cover up his breath, but guess that doesn't work well enough anymore..now he uses the "breath strips" And the funny thing is he thinks he has gotten everyone fooled....!! I have made the decision to do what is right for myself and my children, to work on my education and get a job.

But, I do have a question...does anyone else's husband "stink"?? I don't mean like booze, and I even smell it when he is showered, and not drinking...it's not a body odor either...it is hard to describe...but it smells to me like "sickness"?? Wondering if anyone else knows what I mean?? I know it sounds kind of weird...but I know I am smelling something.

Thanks....

fetor hepaticus is the term used to describe what you possibly may be smelling. (i still remember something from medical school)
Old 01-30-2007, 07:30 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  
Wipe your paws elsewhere!

In my boyfriend's case, the strange smell was caused by a condition called ketoacidosis, which is a buildup of by-products of fat breakdown, called ketones. This occurs when glucose is not available as a fuel source for the body, and fat is used instead. This also results in severe weight loss and muscle wasting.

Ketoacidosis is often associated with uncontrolled diabetes or folks suffering from other disorders of the pancreas. As we all know, long-term alcoholism can harm both the pancreas and the liver.