Intervention show

Old 03-24-2007, 07:22 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Intervention show

Is there anyone who left their A and regrets not trying an intervention?

I watched a couple of the successful ones last night and started thinking maybe I should have looked into it for my exabf. Again, ultimately it's the A's choice, right? An intervention is not a cure, especially for an A in denial.

Maybe I shouldn't watch these types of shows. I get hooked into them, though hoping for a positive outcome. Then I get sad that my ex doesn't see that he needs help.
Old 03-24-2007, 07:28 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
I'm growing

I am the same way. I watch them too and feel the same things. I am still with AH though. Also wish he would see that he needs help.
Old 03-24-2007, 08:46 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

an intervention purpose is to break through denial (at least during the intervention) and compell them into treatment. hopefully the treatment will lead to lasting recovery
Old 03-24-2007, 09:02 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hey Aztchr...I watch that show all the time. And I always wonder if I did enough to get my AH into treatment. Did I do it the "right" way? If I had approached it just a bit differently, would he have gone and gotten better? And then reading "Beyond the Influence" and the HBO Addiction website they both talk about how for many addicts the only thing that finally gets them into treatment is multiple and persistant interventions (or mini-interventions) from loved one. It's enough to make a girl go crazy(-ier).

I guess I get some peace knowing that I've told my AH from the start that the minute he wants help, I will get him into a rehab center. I don't know what more can be done.

What always makes me feel so bad and confused is when I think about how I've read that the alcohol makes them so nuts that they can't think rationally anymore...then I ask myself, it that's the case, then how is my AH ever going to realize that he needs help?
Old 03-24-2007, 09:06 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I think we spend a lot of time worrying about what we could have done differently and maybe had a more positive outcome---well it's not us--it's the A---we can't stop them...
Old 03-24-2007, 09:08 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I wonder---do you think an A know they are an A??? I think so---it's like telling someone they are fat---pointless because everytime they look in the mirroe they know it...
Old 03-25-2007, 09:39 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

yOU WILL ALWAYS THINK THERE IS SOMETHING YOU MISSED, SOMETHING ELSE YOU COULD HAVE DONE. let it go !!!!! i MADE MYSELF CRAZY ABOUT WHAT ELSE i COULD DO AND WHAT DID I MISS. WHY CANT I HELP HIM. THEY HAVE TO HELP THEMSELVES WE HAVE TO TAKE OF OURSELVES. tHEY OWN IT. yOU OWN YOU!!