Courage to Change ~ December 19

Old 12-19-2006, 06:07 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Courage to Change ~ December 19

Alcoholism is a three-fold—physical, emotional, and spiritual—disease. Because I’ve been affected by another’s alcoholism, I check on my own physical, emotional, and spiritual well-being by asking myself:

Is my physical well-being a priority? Do I eat well and get enough sleep? When was the last time I had a check-up or went to a dentist? Do I keep myself clean? Take breaks? Exercise?

Do I ask for or give a hug when I need to? Am I growing more aware of my feelings? Do I have a sponsor and Al-Anon friends to help me through the rough times? Can I celebrate when things go well? Am I taking time to enjoy myself? Is any of the attention I once gave to negative thinking now focused on gratitude?

Do I have a relationship with a Power greater than myself? If not, am I willing to give it a try? Do I make time for prayer and meditation? Am I more willing to ask for help? Do I regularly attend Al-Anon meetings, read Al-Anon literature, and apply the Steps and other tools to my everyday life? Do I recognize and acknowledge my growth?

Today’s Reminder

By simply taking inventory of my self-care habits, I am beginning to improve them.

“Better keep yourself clean and bright; you are the window through which you must see the world.”

George Bernard Shaw
Old 12-19-2006, 06:10 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

This is a very powerful reading. For me, it gives me a road map for my own recovery. If I do the things listed above, I will get better...

The Suggested Opening for Al Anon meetings gives a promise of hope:

"We, too, were lonely and frustrated but in Al-Anon we discover that no situation is really hopeless and that it is possible for us to find contentment and even happiness, whether the alcoholic is still drinking or not"

It just doesn't get much better than that!

Hugs
~Cat
Old 12-19-2006, 06:29 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Amen!

I often find myself still having a hard time with self-care (2 months post separation). Instead I find myself obsessing about someone elses issues etc. etc.

But slowly, slowly....... One day at a time, right?