Happy Holiday to Me

Old 12-18-2006, 07:30 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Recovering Nicely

Happy Holiday to Me

Last night AH was having more than a few and a friend of ours, who lives 40 miles away, called to wish us happy holidays. AH proceeds to invite him over Christmas Eve when we will have a houseful of family. Since this friend lives pretty far, AH tells him to spend the night and they'll sit around and have a few cocktails. Yay for me!!! What fun!!! I told AH that I didn't want overnight company, that after everyone leaves I like down time on Christmas Eve, I don't want to entertain all night, and that's the time AH and I usually exchange presents. AH thought I was so mean and said "is it so bad if he stays over?" Yes, it is.
Anyway, I've decided rather than get all mad, I am going to have to re-arrange my holiday schedule. I am going to have people over Christmas Eve (because they are already invited), give my adult kids their presents then (instead of Christmas morning when they come to my house) and I am going to sleep at my daughter's Christmas Eve, and wake up with my grandkids. I am not going to exchange gifts with AH till whenever and he can sit there all night with our friend drinking cocktails.
AH is a pathetic piece of **** who would much rather spend the night "having cocktails" and his drunkfest with his friend then have the family thing, which to me says it all. I'm a little annoyed but being annoyed is only going to hurt me, it won't change anything, so I will get over it. It just bugs me because his whole family and mine are coming over Christmas Eve, I have to do all the work, to be put second again. Anybody got any other ideas?
QT
Old 12-18-2006, 07:36 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Practicing the lion's roar

Doesn't the friend have his own family to spend Christmas Eve with? If he insists on coming, and your husband insists on having him, I think you've made a reasonable decision.

Of course it hurts to come in second again. It should never feel good. I see no reason why you shouldn't go through with your plans to stay with your daughter.
Old 12-18-2006, 07:47 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Recovering Nicely

Alltoosober,
No, this friend is divorced and doesn't really see the xwife and kids. This friend used to have a drinking problem, quit for many years, but now drinks again. He's a nice guy, just a pain in a way. I just don't think Christmas should be a drunkfest but to A's I guess it is. Thank God I have my kids and grandkids, I really won't miss the stupid drunk.
QT
Old 12-18-2006, 07:52 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

One of the gifts of Al-Anon to me was the understanding that AH doing these things (and every holiday became a drunk fest) had nothing to do with rejection of me and everything to do with embracing his addiction. The last birthday I had while still living with AH, he stayed home and drank with his brother and I spent the day with some friends at a local gardens that I love. I had a wonderful time. It was a small inkling that I could be happy, whether the alcoholic was drinking or not.

Sounds to me like you are making the Christmas you want - good for you!
Old 12-18-2006, 07:56 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I think have made a good choice. You will enjoy Christmas morning with the grandkids. A sleep over may be a lot of fun! Enjoy it!
Old 12-19-2006, 06:37 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Always hopeful...

Making lemonaide out of lemons. .......
You'll get such a grin out of the kids that morning, and bring you true joy!
This would have been something mine would have done, and been so excited over....to drink w/ a buddy, more than enjoy just family. In fact he kinda did it last year on Christmas day, unexpected guests......well, I guess it is his holiday too! Choices?