View Single Post
Old 12-19-2006, 06:07 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
CatsPajamas
Forum Leader

Courage to Change ~ December 19

Alcoholism is a three-fold—physical, emotional, and spiritual—disease. Because I’ve been affected by another’s alcoholism, I check on my own physical, emotional, and spiritual well-being by asking myself:

Is my physical well-being a priority? Do I eat well and get enough sleep? When was the last time I had a check-up or went to a dentist? Do I keep myself clean? Take breaks? Exercise?

Do I ask for or give a hug when I need to? Am I growing more aware of my feelings? Do I have a sponsor and Al-Anon friends to help me through the rough times? Can I celebrate when things go well? Am I taking time to enjoy myself? Is any of the attention I once gave to negative thinking now focused on gratitude?

Do I have a relationship with a Power greater than myself? If not, am I willing to give it a try? Do I make time for prayer and meditation? Am I more willing to ask for help? Do I regularly attend Al-Anon meetings, read Al-Anon literature, and apply the Steps and other tools to my everyday life? Do I recognize and acknowledge my growth?

Today’s Reminder

By simply taking inventory of my self-care habits, I am beginning to improve them.

“Better keep yourself clean and bright; you are the window through which you must see the world.”

George Bernard Shaw