Making things easier for me - How would you handle it?

Old 11-17-2006, 06:44 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Thanks for all the replies.
I have decided to not bother with the truck, it's not worth the aggravation. I am however going to take the plates off of it. The registration is in my name and if something happens it can come back on me.
As for the house, I am not asking to hold him responsible for half the debt. I am keeping the house. We have only been married for three years. I bought my house by myself before we met. My thinking was if I have all the debt and I'm not trying to get money from him for it then I should have all the things that were aquired in my name. Sometimes there is a cost for peace of mind though and if it means letting him keep what he has then that's fine. I may ask for something toward some credit cards of his that I paid off. (I really haven't made the best financial decisions while with him) Live and learn I guess.
I know he's going to get picked up at some point. It's sad but inevitable. I am just doing what I need to do for me now. I am putting his belongings in the garage, changing the locks and concentrating on getting my life back in order.
Old 11-17-2006, 06:56 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Sounds like a good plan to me.

What I learned, over a long period of time and after ALOT of suffering, no price was too steep for my own peace and serenity. "Things" (cars, houses, clothes, etc) just weren't worth the aggrevation. They could be replaced. Lost days (because I was too wound up to enjoy them!) could not.

Live and learn I guess.
I think this sums it up beautifully.

Good for you!
:-) Shannon
Old 11-17-2006, 07:04 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Just be sure that you can not be held liable for his debt, the debt he may have and the debt he may get into between now and January.
Old 11-17-2006, 08:18 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Thanks, I've looked into that, NH is not a state the holds spouses responsible for credit card debt, if you are not on the account as a user. I don't believe he's in any position to incur any more debt simply because he is not working and has no verifiable income. I'm not real concerned about it because I really believe he is either going to get picked up very soon or he's going to take off. I have taken steps to protect myself, and am keeping an eye on my credit report.