Notices

Opiates and Heart Palpitations??

Old 01-18-2006, 04:18 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Opiates and Heart Palpitations??

Hello. I have been on the site on-off for a year. Addicted for some time. Been trying to quit...

Anyway, my current question is that I was wondering if anyone gets heart palpitations after taking Hydro's. The past month I have been experiencing alot at night when I use most.

Any input?

Thanks
Old 01-18-2006, 04:59 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Eagle1
Anyway, my current question is that I was wondering if anyone gets heart palpitations after taking Hydro's. The past month I have been experiencing alot at night when I use most.
Yup.

Time to quit.

The disease of addiction KILLS.

I don't know what else to say except there is a way out.
Old 01-18-2006, 05:24 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

whew.. I'm 55 and beginning to feel the damage I've done to my heart with years of using everything I could get my hands on. Phinny is right. It's time to stop... If I would've known then how I would feel now I would've NEVER put my young body through that chit.
Old 01-18-2006, 05:28 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

This is obviously not the result of one time using. This is what happens when you use for a period of time. This is your clue that you need to quit, i'm glad you have recognized this. We are here for you, I am an ex opiate addict and experienced many things with my body. They were all just telling me it was time. If you need anything or just want to chat pm me.

here for you
samantha
Old 01-18-2006, 05:30 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I have been doing the taper method as of Monday. This is my second try. I found SR last year when I was tring to kick. I got alot of support here and made friends. I did get clean. Then a car accident happened and I was given pain meds while I was all messed up from the crash. Of course I started up again slower, but here I am again. I'm not trolling on this site.
Today is day three and I am doing well mentally. Of course, the physical stuff is bad right now. My question about heart palps was general and wondering if I was alone.

I see now that this site has gotton "clicky" and if you are not "in" then I see the amount of support.

Your answer to me was short and curt.
Old 01-18-2006, 06:05 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

My reply was to the first reply of my post.
Thanks for the support
Old 01-18-2006, 06:07 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I am so sorry, you would be surprised at how many people are going along real well until they need pain meds for a legitimate purpose. It is a really sad thing because we are caught in a catch 22. We hurt but we are scared too. What do you do? Well, you have already done it as have a lot of us on here, but it's ok, you are still on the right track because you are here. I am really glad you came back.
Old 01-18-2006, 10:47 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
You're never alone!!

I have been doing the taper method as of Monday. This is my second try. I found SR last year when I was tring to kick. I got alot of support here and made friends. I did get clean. Then a car accident happened and I was given pain meds while I was all messed up from the crash. Of course I started up again slower, but here I am again. I'm not trolling on this site.
Today is day three and I am doing well mentally. Of course, the physical stuff is bad right now. My question about heart palps was general and wondering if I was alone.

I see now that this site has gotton "clicky" and if you are not "in" then I see the amount of support.

Your answer to me was short and curt.

Eagle,,

I too am sorry that you feel that way. But I don't believe that anyone here had any intention of making you feel bad. SR is a really cool place, with much support.

The answers you recieved were actually right on.. Do you think maybe it is just the fact that you aren't feeling well? I know how that is. It is a terrible feeling. I too suffer from heart palps, from using.

I can explain maybe why you recived some of the answers you recieved..

When we use, in the beginning, and for alot of people, for a long time, the drug high is just wonderful, I loved that high, but, that same wonderful feeling just doesn't hang around forever. I can tell you that after a period of time, from using, the drugs have a terrible effect on your body, and they begin to do damage, and when that begins, you get just as sick from using, as you do, when you aren't using.

That is what happened to me, and I believe that is what is happening to you.
That is when the heart palps set in, as well as other side effects.
I also began to suffer the effects of withdrawl, even when I was using, no matter how much I used.. Because of the damage I had done. I ended up in the ER alot. I knew at that time, it was time for me to STOP.. I had to stop, it wasn't even a matter of choice anymore, if I wanted to live, I was very, very ill. I had counselors, and nurses and doctors working with me, telling me, I was dying, I needed to get help, and stop and get clean, like right away.
I was a bit beyond the heart palps, but not far..

That is why you got the answer you got. They meant it when they said, it is time for you to stop. If I left, and walked out on every couselor, or doctor, or person that told me that it was TIME to stop, and they didn't tell me nicely, Eagle, I would be dead. So please, don't leave because you don't like the way someone tells you something. This isn't about the way someone talks to you, it's about your life. You choose.

We can say it very nicely, and I normally do, and I am, and will continue to.. Please, please, please, get help.. If youa re having heart palps, it is your body telling you,, giving you a warning, that it has had enough.. Go to the doctor, or check into treatment. No one here can give you ANY advice on detoxing yourself, not when you are having that going on. You need help. So please, don't ignore your body..

I do hope you will not take things personally.. Please don't. We have all been where you are. We all care very much, because we have all been there.. We understand,, we are not clicky. We will be here for you at any time.. I promise you that.

I will say a pray for you tonight, and hope you will do the same..
Praying helps me alot. But god gave us doctors for a reason.. Please go see one. If nothing else, they can check you over good, and you will know that you are ok, and they can giv eyou help to detox..

Please keep us posted..
I pray we will keep hearing from you..

Love,
Becky
Old 01-19-2006, 06:40 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks for all the kind words. I am on day 4 of tapering. I am so ready to stop. Believe me. I hate it. I have for a long time. The main reason i asked about the palps is because I have had them on and off for most of my life. But not in a long time. So, threw the process of elimination I was tring to figure out what is causing them now. My Dr. always said anxiety. But the past month I noticed that after using...palpitations started...and heart pounding.

Ayway. I am feeling good....keeping the faith.
Old 01-19-2006, 07:06 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
You're never alone!!

Eagle,,

It is great that you are back.. I am very happy to see that.. See, that's me smiling, LOL..

Yes, I suffer from anxiety as well, alot of anxiety. I also suffer from panic attacks, which got much, much worse after using. Especially during times of detox. But all of this got much worse since using, as I said. I did much damage to my body..

Now it's a matter of staying clean everyday, and helping others, and just being thankful to god for everyday that I have clean, and everyday that I have here.. I also just keep plugging away everyday at all the issues I do have, so that I continue to grow stronger. Stopping drugs is just the beginning of the long process. It's really a life long process of straightening out your ( I mean my) life, which I am sure you know, and just living each day, for what it is.. Thanking god all along the way

I hope I make sense to you..

Anyway, I as well as everyone else are here for you, whenever you need us, we not always answer posts right away, depending on who's around, but please, be sure to hang around, and give us a chance, as you did before. You need the support,, and you can also be here for other people that come in, and are sick, and afraid, and detoxing, and need support as well.. It's a great thing to do, helping people,, it helps you stay clean, when you help others that need help..

Hang in there,, you are doing great..
Get some outside support, it really helps..

Keep praying, that also helps tremendously....
Love,
Becky
Old 01-19-2006, 07:13 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
T1
sparkly clean

Thanks for all the kind words. I am on day 4 of tapering. I am so ready to stop. Believe me. I hate it. I have for a long time. The main reason i asked about the palps is because I have had them on and off for most of my life. But not in a long time. So, threw the process of elimination I was tring to figure out what is causing them now. My Dr. always said anxiety. But the past month I noticed that after using...palpitations started...and heart pounding.

Ayway. I am feeling good....keeping the faith.
I'm not an expert but I have read numerous ppl posting on other health boards that they get heart palps as well from doing hydro/opiates. It appears to be pretty common from what I've read, however being an x-hydro user myself I never got them.
Old 01-19-2006, 02:42 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thank you all. No need to say sorry or explain anything. I am the one who was UPTIGHT!!

Feeling good. Tonight will be tough....no work tomorrow. But I have palns to keep myself busy.

Thanks
J
Old 01-20-2006, 03:18 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Good luck, Eagle, you can do it. My heart's a lil messed up from heavy cocaine use in combination with opiates sometimes. Getting better tho.
Old 01-20-2006, 04:31 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

wearing a holter moniter today.....hearts going crazy. Not using either.....
Old 01-27-2006, 03:47 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

the only time i got the palps from the painkillers was when i combined them with an antidepressant. once i got rid of the anti-d they went away. i guess thats how i discovered that.
Old 01-27-2006, 04:06 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
"It is what it is"

Yep

I have been addicted to opiates, rx pain meds for 2 years. I noticed in the last year of my addiction tightness in my chest, actue shooting pain in the chest and yes, palpitations. All signs of overdosing. You don't need to end up with your stomach being pumped in the er to suffer from overdose. Throwing up, heart problems, unexplained pain etc are all signs. I have made the choice to get off the meds and find other ways to care for my chronic pain. It has been over 1 week now and it's been a hell of a week but I am still determind, for my health, my soul and my family. Hope you'll take the warning signs as seriously as I finally did. I hope you are a faster listener than I was because I ignored them forever!

Best Wishes,
Stef
Old 01-27-2006, 09:16 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
*~10 YEARS BABY~*

Ahh Eagle, I'm sorry you were feeling a bit shunned or whatever it was. The first poster to your thread, is one of the best people on this site, I really mean that.
The majority of people on here would never do anything to try and make you feel bad.

I remember in the beginning of my withdrawel, I took so many things people said personal. I got mad and yelled at the most innocent ones here too, lol, luckily for me they forgave me and also understood my craziness.

I'm so glad you are here and doing okay. It's a long road, but so worth it.

I'm sorry I didn't post to this thread sooner. I'm trying to get better at posting to even things I don't understand. I have a bad habit of not posting to the ones I don't understant because I'm afraid of saying something way dumb.

Anyway, like I said to you earlier, I am looking forward to getting to know you better.
Hang in there.
Old 02-20-2006, 03:12 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

My abf is off of Lortabs, and while he was using, he had awful heart palps. Especially at the end of his use.....he was taking 30 a day! It was awful. He was on the road to death, and fast. We have been so blessed he found a new plan.
Glad you have the will to do something about it, you will be so relieved and proud of yourself. Keep up the good work. Hang in there and keep the posts coming.
Old 02-20-2006, 08:42 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Eagle,

I've had palpitations before opiates, during opiates, and oddly, even more after opiates (I'm six weeks off of a 15 mg/day HC habit). During the opiate phase they would just come and go and I learned to live with them, . . . . . more or less.

I wonder if the non-opiates (e.g. Tylenol or Advil) that are in most of these meds add to the problem . . . . . ?

I tapered before I quit C/T and for the first day or two after quitting had very noticible symptoms (in my case they are called extra systoles, or the feeling that the heart skips a beat). I've had them a lot since I've been clean - swimming helped for a couple of days afterwards. But Friday I swam more than 1/2 mile and it didn't seem to help. Maybe thee is a good balance point there.

I'm pretty certain my symptoms are due to anxiety and depression. Over the last couple of days I've been anxious. I'm hoping to find a constructive solution to that that doesn't involve meds . . . .

Anyway, the problem is that the more you stress over the palps, the worse they seem to get.

Your doc is wise to put you on a Holter. That way, he can see if there are other problems. But the fact is that most people have palpitations. Some don't feel them, and others seem to feel every one. I'm in the latter category.

Extra systoles (skipped beats) are benign - i.e. HARMLESS. By themselves, they are not a sign of disease and do not mean that you are more prone to a heart attack, etc. However, if your palpitations include many sequential skipped beats or a racing heart rate, then a trip to the Dr. is in order to rule out other problems.

I think it is a good idea to get good nutrition. I take magnesium supplements. Magnesium is an essential electrolyte that helps to maintain nerve function and heart regularity. I understand that sometimes heart patients in the ER will get a shot of magnesium sulfate solution to calm things down.

Avoid caffeine, chocolate, and stimulants of any kind. Wine and other forms of alcohol are partiuclarly bad for mine, so I rarely drink, and when I do, it's not much.

My grandmother had bad palpitations for many years and died at age 92. So take care and don't worry! It's gonna be fine!!!

Buzz