Notices

Finding my way out of the fog!

Old 09-20-2005, 08:39 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Finding my way out of the fog!

Hi! Found this board a few weeks ago and finally decided to share my story. My DOC was marijuana and I had been smoking regularly for the past 9 years. I used to love to get stoned all the time. I would smoke every day usually with my friends. All we would do was sit around and get stoned. Before I knew it, weed was running my life! Always thinking "I can't wait to get high!" Soon, I stared to drift away from some of my stoner friends and often smoked alone. At times, I couldn't even image coming home from work and not smoking. I knew I had a problem when I would run out of weed and spend hours searching around the house for misplaced weed or roaches! I even searched around my driveway with a flashlight because I thought I dropped a roach a couple a days earlier. Talk about pathetic! After a while, I became very passive and apathetic. I started to effect my job because I was such a pot burnout, I often felt like I had no brain. Seems like I could hardly even think. I felt like I was always in a daze. My short term memory was virtually non-existant. I was alway confused and in a fog! Never knew what to say, always looking for the right word but could never find it. Weed always made me so tired and had no motivation at all. It took me a while to realize all this. Much time went by, thinking all was normal. Finally, I realized that I didn't want to smoke anymore and pot was killing my career and me as a person. About 6 months ago I quit, but that only lasted for a month and soon I was back to my old ways. Then once again back to hating weed! I quit again, although only for 13 days so far. I know this time I've quit for good, if I want to enjoy life and succeed in my career, I can't smoke again. Surprisingly, both times I've quit, I have had almost no withdrawl. No irritability and absolutely no desire to smoke! I've had some insomnia, but I remember smoking 3 or 4 times in a day and still not being able to sleep. I have been reading this message board often and also visiting the Marijuana Anonymous website. Hanging around people who smoke isn't really a big issue, cause I only currently have one stoner friend. The others have either quit or I have drifted away from them over the years. So far I feel great and am looking forward to getting out of the fog! That's it, sorry for the long post and i'll post updates in the future! Thanks.
Old 09-21-2005, 09:52 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
REZ

BC1027, Congrats so far! I hope you doing more than online recovery. For me, I also need to go to meetings, work with a sponsor, have friends in recovery, work the steps, pray, meditate, do service work. Marijuana was also my DOC. I got clean long before there were electronic discussion boards. Online interactions are helpful to me, but I need contact with people in recovery in the real world too.
Old 09-21-2005, 09:54 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Well done on making the decision to get clean. Your life will get so much better. This is so totally worth it.
Old 09-26-2005, 07:30 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Happy to report that I have completed 19 day of not smoking Marijuana. I feel great and really do feel more clarity and still no desire to smoke! I was even hanging out with one of my smoker friends today and he was trying to get me to smoke and I was able to confidently tell him NO! So far, I feel I have so much more confidence and self esteem! My negativity and second guessing of myself has vanished so far. Thinking of not smoking for 19 days brings me back to about 3 years ago when I had moved out of state and had no connections and ended up not smoking for 6 weeks. However at that time I was not ready to quit, so I started up again at the next opputunity I had. Too bad I wasted 6 weeks of being sober. So now I am ready to continue my abstinence from smoking! Just the thought of smoking makes me feel ill! I will continue to post updates, wish me luck! Thanks
Old 09-26-2005, 08:23 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Not all better, getting better

Glad to hear it BC, your story reminds me of mine, except I went on like that for 17 years and ended up truly ruining my entire life. I'm glad you didn't have to take it as far as I did. All the best to you. Take care.
Old 09-27-2005, 04:33 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Congratulations BC!!! Weed is also my DOC and I'm still using. It makes me feel so good to see that you've been able to step out of the fog. Gives me some hope for myself. Please keep us posted.
Old 10-05-2005, 03:45 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Day 27 winding down! I feel great, not even a thought of wanting to smoke! I feel like I can remember things now, my mind is clear and I can actually think. Good thing cause my job requires me to do a lot of thinking and decision making. These areas suffered greatly when I was smoking every day. The tiredness, apathy and lack of motivation was really affecting me at work. Happy to be approaching the 30 day mark! Things can only get better from here. Thanks everyone for your previous supportive replies!
Old 10-05-2005, 04:13 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 27 beautiful days. The great news is that it gets so much better than this! so that is a lot of good stuff to look forward to!

It is wonderful when we get our clear thinking back!!!
The joys and miracles of sobriety.
Old 10-05-2005, 05:12 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Support our Troops.

Good for you

I am always glad to hear when another pothead becomes a former pothead!

Life is great when you know whats going on around you.
Old 10-05-2005, 08:01 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
"The BAND" workshop ROCKS!

Thanks for posting BC, I know a lot of people will find strength through your story. Good of you to share. Best luck in quitting the evil weed.
Old 10-05-2005, 08:41 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Wow--32 years of smokin for me-with about 5 years clean 4 years ago. Marijuana came to be a part of my life so much so that I do not even want to think of what life would have been without it. And it all started so innocently. I always liked it but the world moves too fast for tokers and to keep up I have to go without. Every time I clean out I start accomplishing alot of the things I know I am capable of, in all ways, personal, spiritual, and professional. Now I need a good clean run for about 30-40 more years and they can bury me a man that knows what he could do drug free. It should keep me going trying to make up for the lost time Thanks for the thread BC. Twenty six days without for me and starting to see clearly. If I average 1 post per day for the next 30 years I will have about 11,000 posts. I want them to all be weed free.
Old 10-05-2005, 09:30 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

All-Thank you for the supportive replies! I appreciate it! There was a time when I could not picture my life without marijuana. I remember waking up after smoking too much the previous day and I would feel like **** and think to myself "no smoking for me tonight." I would hate those pot hangovers, I would always feel so tired and anxious the morning/afternoon. But of course later that night I would be puffing away night all over again. And the vicious cycle would carry on. Usually I would work 2nd shift and towards the end of the night I would think about what I was going to do after work. At times I couldn't imagine not going home a toking up. "What else do I have to do, anyways?" I would think to myself. Well, those days are over. I know its hasn't really even been that long since I quit, but I know deep down, I'll never go back to it. Can't go back to that lifestyle, all the bad side effects of it. When the negatives start outweighing the positives, then you really know it's time for a change and that's exactly what happened to me and Marijuana. Thank God! Once again, thanks to everyone for your support and for those of you who are battling drug addiction-especially addictions tougher then marijuana, KEEP YOUR HEAD UP AND KEEP ON BATTLING!
Thanks, Brian
Old 10-06-2005, 02:41 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
"The BAND" workshop ROCKS!

I found it easy to give up pot, once I became a coke addict. Now I've quit it all after about 30 years of wasting my life away. It's nice to have time and money to do stuff.
Old 10-06-2005, 08:37 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
NA Rocks!

Hey BC! What an inspiration you are! So great to hear you've given up your past way of life and found a better way to live. Good for you! Keep it up, and please keep the updates comin'!
Old 10-18-2005, 06:51 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hi All!
Just wanted to post an update! Tomorrow (10/19) will be 6 weeks since I've quit Marijuana! I continue to feel great! Don't miss it at all. I can't remember the last time I was thinking so clearly. My mind used to be so jumbled up that I could hardly think. I feel like I can get things done now and not forget everything. I'm really feeling great and lovin' life! I feel more optimistic now. Before I used to be cynical, negative and paranoid. So glad that I could finally quit this time. Last time I tried to quit, which was a few months ago, I had stopped for 25 days and then started up again. I tricked myself into thinking I could smoke only once in a while. My goal was to smoke only once a week. In less than week, I was back to smoking everyday. I then continued my sorry lifestyle for 6 more months till I finally quit for good! Since I had a few weeks off of pot under my belt, decided to take on another challenge! I quit smoking cigarettes too! Today makes 1 week! It's been tough, but I've stuck too it so far! Well, that's all for now! Thanks everyone! Brian
Old 10-18-2005, 10:21 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
You're never alone!!

Originally Posted by BC1027
Hi All!
Just wanted to post an update! Tomorrow (10/19) will be 6 weeks since I've quit Marijuana! I continue to feel great! Don't miss it at all. I can't remember the last time I was thinking so clearly. My mind used to be so jumbled up that I could hardly think. I feel like I can get things done now and not forget everything. I'm really feeling great and lovin' life! I feel more optimistic now. Before I used to be cynical, negative and paranoid. So glad that I could finally quit this time. Last time I tried to quit, which was a few months ago, I had stopped for 25 days and then started up again. I tricked myself into thinking I could smoke only once in a while. My goal was to smoke only once a week. In less than week, I was back to smoking everyday. I then continued my sorry lifestyle for 6 more months till I finally quit for good! Since I had a few weeks off of pot under my belt, decided to take on another challenge! I quit smoking cigarettes too! Today makes 1 week! It's been tough, but I've stuck too it so far! Well, that's all for now! Thanks everyone! Brian

Congrats to you on your 6 weeks,, :bravo

And you also quit smoking cigarettes too! Today makes 1 week! :congrats

That is SO huge,, I can;t imagine giving up both, great for you.. That is so excellent,,

Keep working really hard, and keep posting her at SR, if you dont need the support ( but i think we all do) then come support some of the people coming in here and let them know that they too can make it through the fog

Thanks so much for sharing, it's always so great to hear about people that are workin it, and doing well...

Lots of love,
Becky
Old 10-19-2005, 05:46 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Support our Troops.

Originally Posted by BC1027
I tricked myself into thinking I could smoke only once in a while. My goal was to smoke only once a week. In less than week, I was back to smoking everyday.
I know if I tried to smoke once in a while this would be the result for me.
I quit smoking cigarettes before I quit smoking pot. I feel SO much better now after doing this, I know you will too.

Congratulations!
Old 10-19-2005, 05:01 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

BC - Thanks for sharing your story. Always comforting to know there are others out there facing the same challenges I am.

It is so easy to remember the good times getting high. It is remembering the bad times that keeps me clean of the green.
Old 10-19-2005, 05:42 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PlanoTexican
I know if I tried to smoke once in a while this would be the result for me.
I quit smoking cigarettes before I quit smoking pot. I feel SO much better now after doing this, I know you will too.

Congratulations!
that's what recently happened for me after 28 days without smoking.
Old 10-20-2005, 07:55 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Support our Troops.

Sounds to me like a bunch of us are starting to really enjoy life.