Notices

how bad is this?

Old 10-20-2005, 07:27 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

how bad is this?

I feel like I am asking a lot of questions, but it is just so refreshing to finally have people to talk to about this secret life of mine. I am getting ready to quit vicodin as I have already posted, and I have been on here all day reading and trying to get as much info. as possible to prepare myself. From what I have read, it seems like I take much less than a lot of other people did on here. I know it is still an addiction, and I am not trying to justify it, but my usual amount is about 6-7 of the 7.5/500mg hydros a day. (sometimes less, sometimes more). All this withdrawal/detox stuff I'm reading really scares the sh*t out of me, and I'm wondering if maybe mine won't be as bad since I don't take all "that" much. Any ideas? Also, how long does it take to completely get out of your system? Thank you so much to everyone who has replied to my other questions. I hope I'm not bothering anyone, I am just finding this very helpful.
Old 10-20-2005, 08:42 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

you have to tray i was teking norco10/325mg abut 10to12 tb a dya and i quit
you have to fait the first dya good help you .....and you will quit god luck
Old 10-20-2005, 10:55 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Farmer's daughter

Hi there,
It's great that's you've come here. I've found so much info on here and everyone is so dang nice and supportive!!! My loved ones, God bless 'em, try to get it, but they just don't understand like everyone on here what you're going through physically and mentally. However, when it comes to stepping up to the plate to help get me clean... they were my godsend. I used suboxone to get off of 150mgs a day of Vicodin and then tapered off the suboxone. I think my detox would have been soooooooooooo much worse with out it, but that's just me. On here, you will read that some people say go to an inpatient detox because it's so much easier, then others will say that they much rather be in the comfort of their own home. It will be up to you how and where you detox. If you want to know more specifics about suboxone... I will be happy to share the details of the program my doc outlined for me.
It was such a dirty little secret for me as well. And, it felt so awful... getting drugs from a few different online pharmacies, a few docs, going into urgent care, stealing from anyone that had a medicine cabinet I could look in... it really sucks... really, really sucks!! But, you've made the first step to unvail your secret... now who do you have to tell to get the help you need?? When I told my husband he said, "I know that took a lot of courage to tell me." He was so sad that he thought I felt I couldn't come to him, but that was just because of the shame.
Next, detox is not fun!!! You have to be aware of that and be ready for it. This is day 7 for me on my third attempt and this is the longest I've ever made it! I also tried with a doc's supervision to taper the Vicodin (twice)... this did not work for me and in the end I felt really discouraged and that's how I got up to 150mgs. But, I don't think the number of mgs really matters in wanting to get clean, but I think it does play a roll in your detox... plus, how long you've been dependent on them. By playing a roll I mean, how bad and how long your detox takes... but, don't quote me on this. There are some wiser individuals on here that can give you some insight into that. You had a question of how long does it take to get out of your body? Well, I was told by my doc 5 days. What do I say to that... you're gonna have to take it one day at a time. Day 7 and I feel much better, still have some shivers, but I got out today finally. I was so miserable the other days that I really didn't want to do much. But, don't let this discourage you... you can definitely do this!!! I am the biggest baby in the world and hate hate hate pain of any kind and I made it this far!! When you decide what action you are going to take to get clean... let us know!!! I wish you well and God Bless!
xo,
shelly
Old 10-21-2005, 08:12 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks for all the input, Shelly. There is absolutely no way I can go to an inpatient detox. My husband is working in Antarctica until February and we live on a ranch and I am the only one here to keep everything running. I am going to have to do it on my own at home. I know I can tell my husband about this; he is the greatest man and I have no doubts that he will be supportive and help in any way he can. The problem is, he's at the South Pole!! All we can do is email and he calls me a couple of times a week. We live in the middle of nowhere in the country and I have no family or good friends close by. I guess I am just going to have to detox at home, with the support of all you guys at SR.
Old 10-21-2005, 08:19 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Chy

Wow, I sure wish you could find someone to stay with you. You stay close to the computer okay? Have you talked to a doctor? Have you tried weaning each day? I don't like the fact your alone and trying to do it alone, be careful.
Old 10-21-2005, 08:42 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I feel for you. I have done countless home detoxes from opiates and it's never any fun, regardless of how much or how long you were taking them.

First - it's always a good idea to let your doctor and/or a trusted loved one to keep an eye on you.

That being said, my addiction was always an evil secret and I didn't tell a soul, even was I was detoxing. (of course, I don't recommend this). It did make it harder b/c it was tough to explain what was happening to my husband, family, etc. I usually just said I had the flu.

Anyhow, it's gonna suck, but you'll live, and hopefully never go back.

You'll feel achey, especially your legs. Try hot hot hot baths, and walking around a little. Your whole body will basically feel like crap, some people vomit or deal with really bad runs (potty runs, that is). The worst I thought was the mental issues, having to lie in bed and wait for the poison to get out of your body. So, try to keep your mind busy with movies, magazines, books, music. Try to get somewhere comfy, a good blanky and pillow. You can take some ibuprofin, and drink a ton of water.

I should also tell you that for many of my detoxes, I didn't have the luxury of time off work & other committments. I got though them, I just kept moving, went to work, went to family events even though every fiber of my body just wanted to collapse. Dope sick is just yucky. But it will pass.

The BEST advice I can give you is - no ,matter how bad it gets,no matter what your 'addict brain' is telling you - DO NOT take a pain pill to make it stop. "cause then you're back at day 1.

I hope and pray you'll figure out what a poison opiates are, and what a prison your life becomes the first time around. It took me alot of years and alot detoxs to get it right.

Keep us posted!

Much Love:SS

Last edited by shestruggles; 10-21-2005 at 08:44 AM. Reason: I kant spell!!!
Old 10-21-2005, 09:28 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

go to a doc. even a good primary doc will give you the normal mild cocktail which will help some. basically clonidine, baclofen, and something for stomach cramps. at least that's what they give here in jersey. thers also buprenorphine detoxes, which for me consisted of 5 days of shots you give yourself, as well as the other mild meds listed above. they gave it to me all to take home, and for me the total cost was $375. i don't know whats available in texas, but my point here is that it's always easier with a docs support. if you do go it alone, you always have us at SR to fall back on. good luck Para...

oh, btw, as already stated hot baths, short walks around, getting outside for a few minutes in the sun, and a comfy place to relax with some music movies, etc is the best home remedy. Immodium AD also works wonders for the stomach problems, and taking advil helps a little, but not a whole lot. These are just a few things to help take the edge off.
Old 10-21-2005, 09:56 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

on a different recovery forum this guy (and some others attested to it) also really recommends b vitamins zinc and an amino acid L-tyrosine. However said that there are some concerns about the L-tyrone shouldn't be taken with ssri anti depressants. so that might be something to try. I'm going to get mh to take the L-tyrosine in a few more days after the prozac is out of his system because the other forum also said it helps with PAWS symptoms.

Paralysis....we are here for you....you can do it....the first few days are the worst. mari
Old 10-21-2005, 10:32 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thats a very small amount of vikes to come off of but you will still experiance a withdrawl because the opiates have to leave the receptor sites. I was taking 5-6 times that amount a day and went cold turkey with not one bit of medication-only a multi vit/multi mineral. I suffered pretty bad for 5 days but it definantly scared me enough to prevent a relapse and ive been sober going on 2 1/2 yrs. Insomnia and a restless body is what got to me the worst. I cried would get over anxious and every thought was about how the pills would take away the withdrawl and I would be fine. One pill would have started all the withdrawls over. No way was I turning back after the storm hit and when it cleared I felt like a new person. No more thoughts about how to get pills so I wouldnt get sick- I went straight inpatient after I detoxed at a family members house and that was the best thing ive ever done. Whats 5-30 days for the rest of your life??? You will withdraw no matter how much medication you take to feel "comfortable". Dont use sub or methadone-just quit! Why trade one drug for another? 3-5 days aint nothin! Good luck and ill keep you in my prayers-oh and by the way I withdrew from a 40-50 a day pill habit-had pretty much unlimited acsess to norco and percocet 10/500-you can do it-good luck and god bless
Old 10-21-2005, 10:42 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks for the advice and encouragement, fellow Texan!! I feel better after reading your post.
Old 10-21-2005, 11:04 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

No problem-just get it in your head that nothing will stop you and you can do it-i promise-keep me updated on your progress and ill keep you in my prayers-it will pass and you will feel so much better-its just a matter of time.
Old 10-21-2005, 03:04 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Livin' the NA WAY

I highly recommend taking a multi-vitamin, zinc/magnesium for the muscle cramps, banana for the potassium for the same, L-tyrosine for energy. And immodium for the runs. Along with gatorade and slim-fast if you are too sick to eat.
I took it everytime I withdrew it and it helped to get through it quicker. I haven't looked for it in a couple years, but it should still be out there.
The main thing for me was getting into a program that would help me live clean and be happy about myself. In the end, eating 3 meals a day was foreign to me.
I had quit many times. But got "hungry, angry, lonely, tired" or bored, and ended up using again.
When I finally got into a program with other people that have dealt with the same issues, I was able to recovery and how to live clean and be happy.
Good luck and I hop eyou find the help you need to get off these pills and live clean,
There is a pill or a remedy for just about everything out there nowadays. Except to treat addiction. When I finally realized that to treat my addiction, I needed to treat the cause "ME", I finally stayed in recovery and attend meetings, and work the program of NA, which helps keep me clean, along with my HP.
I hope you find the help you need and get and stay clean, living a fullfilling and drug free life,
Chad H.
Old 10-21-2005, 03:28 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

you can do this

i've done the detox route more times than i can count. hot baths help, more than i realized. imodium for the runs, it will help. aleve helps with the joint aches. celestial seasonings tea makes a "tension tamer" tea that helped calm me, somewhat. i did it alone, number of times, using a doctor a few times and in the hospital once. sucks no matter what. stay close to this forum. for me, the worst was over in 4 days. my first detox was 7-8 vicodin a day, my last detox was 15-20 lortab, washed down with booze a day. i have a little over a year clean. you can do this. pray, even if you don't believe, pray, it will help you focus on something other than what your body is going through. when you come out the other side (and YOU WILL), you'll feel so much better. good luck.
Old 10-21-2005, 08:19 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
TLS

Unhappy New Member To This Forum

Thank GOD I found people with the same problem as me. I am going through a Suboxone detox on Monday, and very afraid of the outcome. I have been taking 6-14 vicodin's a day for 3 1/2 years. I have been without for only a day or so until I started the withdrawl's, that keep me taking them over the years. I have finally decided that I can't live like this and seeked medical assistance. I have keep this from friends and my husband all this time, I am so ashamed. Thank GOD my husband is a good man, he is very supportive and decided to take a week off work to watch our son so that I could have some time to myself. I am very happy that I have made this decision but very scared on the outcome. Does anyone have any experience with SUBOXONE detox? I am curious how long I need to be on it and how extreem are the withdrawls on it? Thanks for the help with Vitamins and Gatorade, I will add that to my shopping list prior to my Monday meeting with the doc. Good Luck ParalysisofWill...... We can go through this together... I will keep posting throughout next week. Keep me updated on your progress..

GOD BLESS!!
Old 10-21-2005, 09:34 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Farmer's daughter

Hi Paralysisofwill:
HOW ARE YOU??? I've been thinking a lot about you. Like Chy, I feel really sad and worried about you that you will go through this alone. Have you stopped already?? Like Wstxxbber said, once the storm hits don't use because then you are back to square one!! I know you can do this, especially if it's what you really want. Maybe seeing a doc would really help. Maybe he/she can taper you and keep you on a low dose so that you're stable until your hubby gets home, whenever that is. Just a thought. Tapering isn't bad at all (at least it wasn't for me) as long as you have just a little in you to keep from getting sick and I'm just throwing this out there so that maybe you can wait til hubby gets back. I hope you're doing okay!!! Please let us know.
xo
shelly
Old 10-21-2005, 09:52 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Livin' the NA WAY

TLS,
I also took Valerian Root to help get to bed at night along with Tylenol PM. Get the PM, without the tylenol if you can to save your liver since you have probably taken over the max 4000mg/4g a day.
The scaryness of the unknown was a blessing and a curse. Cause when I didn't know what to expect, I was surprised at how easy it was. When I found out what might happen, I expected it and almost made it happen and dwelled on it.
The biggest thing to remember is that you will get through it.
I am a firm believer in either tapering down or using sub for a 5 day detox. Any longer than that and I just continue to use and rationalize it.
I would search the forums and the internet for anything you are wondering about. There is a plethora of information here if you spend the time to look at it.

I noticed you are in Irvine, Ca. I am from San Clemente and went to Capobythesea.com when I lived there. There is a HUGE NA presense down there with meetings everyday, sometimes all day. I have a buddy in Oceanside who helps run a couple meetings, and is friends with the "Fat Addict", in the basic text. I would look into going to a meeting down there. I know there is the thought, of I can do this on my own. Or I am not like those people, I have a nice home, car, husband, ect. But you would be surprised at who you meet there. I am an junkie, and an executive and call NA my home. I thought it was a punishment when I first went. Now I realize what a blessing it is. My best friends and only friends are in the program, from all walks of life. My sponsor/closest person other than family, is a Dr. who got his license pulled, and my best friend is a buddy who spent 16 years in prison. We all go out to coffee and hang out regularly with each other, our sponsees, or other people in the program. We also travel together and go to campouts and regional events with our spouses, ect.
You may not need it, but it is there if you want it.
The main thing you need to know, is you don't have to do this alone.
I'll keep you in my prayers hoping you will get clean,
Chad H.
Old 10-21-2005, 09:54 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
You're never alone!!

TLS,,

Hey, please start a new thread, so everyone can see that you are new here, and what you are going through, you will get alot of support..

Suboxone detox can be much easier than regular detox, I guess it depends on ho wlong you are on the sub..
I am on it, and have been on it for 5 months.. I have had countless detoxes. Alot in a hospital, alot at home..
This is the longest I have remained clean, I have the suboxone to thank as well as GOD.. I do have to etox sometime son,a nd I don't look forward to it at all, but that is because I stayed on it far to long.. If you are on it for a week or a month, I believe then it makes detox much easier... You can do it, don't be afraid.. It will work out, you sound as though you are really ready, and that is the most important thing, you have to really, really want it.. Please start a new post, lettig people know you are new, you will get many welcomes, here's mine
WELCOME to SR, you have found a wonderful place, FULL of angels.. Hang in there, and stick around.. You can do this..

Love,
Becky