Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Hi. I just signed up. I don't have much to say. Looking for understanding..

Notices

Hi. I just signed up. I don't have much to say. Looking for understanding..

Old 01-14-2024, 04:11 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Thumbs up Hi. I just signed up. I don't have much to say. Looking for understanding..

I've had too many people who don't understand addiction at all just ask me why I don't simply stop. Because THEY don't feel addiction needs, I'm just being careless and should just stop and be like them........ I am quite tired of it and tired of feeling all alone in this, Googled "addiction forum", and now here I am. Hoping to get a chance to talk with some of you fine people here.
Old 01-14-2024, 04:16 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Catastrophe View Post
I've had too many people who don't understand addiction at all just ask me why I don't simply stop. Because THEY don't feel addiction needs, I'm just being careless and should just stop and be like them........ I am quite tired of it and tired of feeling all alone in this, Googled "addiction forum", and now here I am. Hoping to get a chance to talk with some of you fine people here.
Welcome Catastrophe!!
So glad you’re here. Yes, quitting isn’t as easy as others think. You’re not alone. SR so a great place full of supportive ppl. Talk away, we’re listening.
Old 01-14-2024, 04:22 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome, and we do understand how hard this is. You can be sure we know what you're going through. You are not alone.
Old 01-14-2024, 04:28 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Welcome! Everyone who sticks around this site gets a better understanding of addiction. Many actually recover...

You've got some nasty weather in Portland right now--this is a good time to NOT go out and get your drink / drug of choice.

Please read around and post often!
Old 01-14-2024, 04:44 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome Catastrophe, everyone here can relate and share experiences and advice.
Old 01-14-2024, 04:48 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome aboard Catastrophe

When I found SR it was such a great relief to know people understood, they'd lived it too, and - most of all - there were people here living happy fulfilled lives after giving up drinking for good.
I'm glad you found us!

D
Old 01-14-2024, 04:56 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

You’ve found an excellent place here to start your Recovery journey.
Please, come by as often as you need or want.

Bobbi

Old 01-14-2024, 05:05 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome from me, too. ❤️
Old 01-14-2024, 05:17 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks, all. All it took was me getting hospitalized for a week, in the ICU some of that time, strapped to a bed after having a grand mal seizure. I had quit and the withdrawal was genuinely nearly killing me. The doctor came out of ICU and told my mom they didn't know if I was going to make it through the night in the condition I was in. Then, after 6 months of sobriety, I relapsed and it eventually cost me my job, my friends, my finances, my mental health, my physical health, contact with most of my family members, and my wife... So, I lay in bed with my mind racing at night now when I'm sober, unable to sleep, saying "I hate myself I hate myself I hate everything I've done to my life I hate myself" nonstop. I'm currently on a 3-night streak of being unable to sleep because of that. heh. I sometimes stay up all night on purpose even though I'm exhausted because I'm terrified of not having some kind of constant distraction and stimulus hitting my brain and then having those racing thoughts come back. Toughest times of my life are being at like 3:30AM after multiple nights of not being able to sleep and knowing I could just walk to the kitchen, pick up a bottle, and stop feeling that way temporarily. I know that only makes it worse, trust me. But, you know, my brain is actually broken (I have a handful of other clinically diagnosed mental health issues I was attempting to address before I dove head-first into the bottle to escape them).

I'm sure things get better. I lost absolutely everything, though.
Old 01-14-2024, 05:18 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
The Dog

You found the right forum. The more you use this forum the better your chances of quitting. You will find people here who have quit and are willing to support you in doing so.
Old 01-14-2024, 05:31 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thanks, all. All it took was me getting hospitalized for a week, in the ICU some of that time, strapped to a bed after having a grand mal seizure. I had quit and the withdrawal was genuinely nearly killing me. The doctor came out of ICU and told my mom they didn't know if I was going to make it through the night in the condition I was in. Then, after 6 months of sobriety, I relapsed and it eventually cost me my job, my friends, my finances, my mental health, my physical health, contact with most of my family members, and my wife... So, I lay in bed with my mind racing at night now when I'm sober, unable to sleep, saying "I hate myself I hate myself I hate everything I've done to my life I hate myself" nonstop. I'm currently on a 3-night streak of being unable to sleep because of that. heh. I sometimes stay up all night on purpose even though I'm exhausted because I'm terrified of not having some kind of constant distraction and stimulus hitting my brain and then having those racing thoughts come back. Toughest times of my life are being at like 3:30AM after multiple nights of not being able to sleep and knowing I could just walk to the kitchen, pick up a bottle, and stop feeling that way temporarily. I know that only makes it worse, trust me. But, you know, my brain is actually broken (I have a handful of other clinically diagnosed mental health issues I was attempting to address before I dove head-first into the bottle to escape them).

yeah for some of us, it's a long journey back to wellness.
Noone needs to do it alone tho

In my early days I figured Id just keep walking forward to the possibility of change, and better things, rather than go back down the way I came?

D
Old 01-14-2024, 05:46 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

There are normies who understand alcoholism, but they are few and far between. For many of us, our family, peers, and closest friends, even the ones who want to help, have little to offer because they can't understand. One of my biggest assets was finding a group of recovering alcoholics to get me over the first bump. This is a good place. We've been there. We know what quitting is like, and collectively, we know many pathways out of the addiction. And there are many ways to do it, with just a few fundamentals that transcend all the paths, that are required for life long recovery.

I kind of understand the feeling like you don't have much to say, but I think it's more likely that you have a lot to say, but aren't sure where to begin. But keep in mind that you have to say things to be understood. We have a lot of information and experience, but most of the job ahead of you is going to be up to you. We can help, but you're going to do most of the work. You are also entitled to all the credit when you get the hang of recovery.
Old 01-14-2024, 05:49 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

You found the right place. Welcome!! Read lots and post often. Very much a family here.
Old 01-14-2024, 05:51 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

But, you know, my brain is actually broken (I have a handful of other clinically diagnosed mental health issues I was attempting to address before I dove head-first into the bottle to escape them).
Welcome to SR Catastrophe.
I too have an addiction disorder with PTSD depression/anxiety syndrome. A comorbid addiction disorder is what it is called. I self-medicated myself into a deep hole where I had only one choice to make. I is not easy you are correct, it might be the hardest thing you will do in life and that is stop drinking.

I can't recover alone, we can recover together. I encourage you to post offen, reply to others in need, reply to others, you have something to offer no matter what you are going through. We participate together,recover together.

Distraction is good. When my mind becomes my foe, I move somewhere I can do something with my hands. I use my body to quell my busy mind. Tell the self-critic repletely to "SHUT UP" or "STOP over and over. I used a jingle in my head to stop the self-critic addiction voice from urging me to use drugs/alcohol.

Glad you're here
Old 01-14-2024, 05:54 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

You found the right place. Welcome!! Read lots and post often. Very much a family here.
Old 01-14-2024, 06:28 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

This seems like a good spot to be. Thanks again, everyone.
Old 01-14-2024, 06:38 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

You are in the very best spot Catastrophe.

Many people here with co-morbid, or dual diagnosis

We understand, and you can get sober for keeps.

Welcome.

I hope you continue to post.
Old 01-14-2024, 06:42 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Welcome!
Old 01-14-2024, 06:48 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Welcome. Just keep coming back and reading; even if nothing to share…read and grow stronger.
Old 01-14-2024, 07:02 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
The Dog

Toughest times of my life are being at like 3:30AM after multiple nights of not being able to sleep and knowing I could just walk to the kitchen, pick up a bottle, and stop feeling that way temporarily.

Things will get better. People are going to offer all kinds of help on SR but here is step one. You need to venture into the kitchen and pour the bottle(s) down the drain. If you are really serious about quitting you don't need that sitting around to tempt you. It has been three days you say? You have reached the point where the first drink is your choice. Lets start with the choice to be rid of that temptation.