Notices

Keep me sober - U4S sanity log!

Old 09-06-2021, 08:44 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Keep me sober - U4S sanity log!

Hi everyone.
Well I'm absolutely fed up with this cycle already. I have only been drinking again for just over a couple of weeks and my whole life has now become about trying to dry out again. It feels all consuming and what's even more insane is that I'm not even enjoying it. 25 years of it - I know what it's about and I don't want any part of it. I had 440 days sober less than a month ago. I'm trying to keep things in perspective. I'm literally 6 hours into my next detox. The insanity of this condition! It's nothing more than torture and sabotage, I'm so done with it. Anyone who's reached day 5,6,7 ....keep going!!
Old 09-06-2021, 09:09 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

We all started with a Day One. That's one thing we all have in common. I was sober for 20 yrs and then started drinking 'a glass' of wine in the afternoon. That did not turn out well. I finally stopped drinking and have now been sober for almost 12 yrs. It's possible to start again and succeed.

Stick around, read and post, and reach out when/if you feel the urge to drink. We'll do our best to talk you out of it.
Old 09-06-2021, 09:11 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

You just have to keep your head down and power through UNITE4STRENGTH - keep doing the right things and reach out here if thats becoming difficult for you...

You can absolutely do this

D
Old 09-06-2021, 09:16 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by least View Post
We all started with a Day One. That's one thing we all have in common. I was sober for 20 yrs and then started drinking 'a glass' of wine in the afternoon. That did not turn out well. I finally stopped drinking and have now been sober for almost 12 yrs. It's possible to start again and succeed.

Stick around, read and post, and reach out when/if you feel the urge to drink. We'll do our best to talk you out of it.
WoW, wow......thank you so much for sharing this, I feel so encouraged. Thank you. SR really is my main support just now..
Old 09-06-2021, 09:25 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
You just have to keep your head down and power through UNITE4STRENGTH - keep doing the right things and reach out here if thats becoming difficult for you...

You can absolutely do this

D
thanks ever so much for your message Dee74! I will do that. Must just keep doing the next right thing and soon enough (although it will feel like forever) I'll have my first 30 days again. I'm thinking I need to find a sponsor and get stuck into step 4. I'm fairly certain I know most of my character defects!! I know you aren't an AA'er, I recall you mentioning in another thread.. I'm thinking I probably am. Are you using 12-step recovery methods yourself or do you manage it another way? Thanks!
Old 09-06-2021, 09:40 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I 'just' used SR UNITE4ATRENGTH, but I was beyond ready to quit for good.
My drinking was endangering my life..

If one type of support is not enough, it makes perfect sense to have a few avenues of help available to you

D
Old 09-06-2021, 09:58 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I 'just' used SR UNITE4ATRENGTH, but I was beyond ready to quit for good.
My drinking was endangering my life..

If one type of support is not enough, it makes perfect sense to have a few avenues of help available to you

D
I see, thank you for sharing. Can I ask, how long has SR online support been up and running for? Thanks
Old 09-06-2021, 10:43 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Since 2002 or so...I wasn't here then

D
Old 09-06-2021, 10:58 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Since 2002 or so...I wasn't here then

D
OK! ..thanks
Old 09-06-2021, 11:18 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Have you looked into rational recovery? There are lots of threads about it in the secular section. It might just resonate with you.

This is a good read.

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...ined-long.html (AVRT Explained (long))

Good luck.
Old 09-07-2021, 12:07 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Kaily View Post
Have you looked into rational recovery? There are lots of threads about it in the secular section. It might just resonate with you.

This is a good read.

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...ined-long.html (AVRT Explained (long))

Good luck.
no I haven't. Thanks Kaily, I'll have a look!
Old 09-07-2021, 02:10 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Way to go, @UNITE4STRENGTH! Since you had 440 days at one point you know deep down you can do it. The relapse has shown you how miserable it is to "go back out there" so make it stick!
Old 09-07-2021, 03:37 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MythOfSisyphus View Post
Way to go, @UNITE4STRENGTH! Since you had 440 days at one point you know deep down you can do it. The relapse has shown you how miserable it is to "go back out there" so make it stick!
thanks for the encouragement MythOfSisyphus...
Old 09-07-2021, 03:45 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi everyone... I'm going to need to plan this - reduce down over several days.
I had a week's intake yesterday.....forgive me, I could not face down yet another gruelling withdrawal alone at my flat. I need to ensure that I can reduce down so that I can face my next Day One. I am literally on my own in terms of no chance of assisted detox anytime soon. The other major issue is that I need to return to work ASAP......my job is on the line because of my mental health and now alcoholism again. Thanks for reading!
Old 09-07-2021, 04:49 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Say cheese!

Hi hun, you can do this!! this is my first time in being sober since 2008 which i did a year and havent found myself since until now. U are so worth doing this for x
Old 09-07-2021, 04:56 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Erratic View Post
Hi hun, you can do this!! this is my first time in being sober since 2008 which i did a year and havent found myself since until now. U are so worth doing this for x
hi erratic - thanks for your message. I know, I know I am. Like you, I achieved 14 months (recently).....I hope you are doing well 🌟 my current plan is to reduce down over the next week. It must stop there.....I know I will be very sorry or else!!
Old 09-07-2021, 07:12 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hey Unite:
I don't know about tapering, so I can't comment on that(I could never do it) but I'd suggest along with the idea above about Rational Recovery that you check out the book "Alcohol Explained" it helped me tremendously. Very fact based explanation based approach to why we get addicted to alcohol. It really resonated with me.

AA isn't my gig, at least not for the moment, but if it helps you go for it--I'd throw everything at getting sober that you possibly can. Please keep posting!
Old 09-07-2021, 07:50 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Hi samwitch. Thanks for your message. I was drunk again yesterday. I didn't want to face drying out! Now i'm in the same situation of course......I pray I find the courage to stop now. It's been around 6 hours since I drank.
Old 09-07-2021, 08:02 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Administrator

If you're that scared of withdrawal, maybe seeing a Dr is a good idea, U4S?

D
Old 09-07-2021, 08:14 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

If you're that scared of withdrawal, maybe seeing a Dr is a good idea, U4S?

D
hi Dee74. Doctor will refer me to alcohol services. I don't want them to know I've relapsed. I had a skinfull yesterday but I ate and the drinking was over a 9 hour period. I should be alright. I have Propranolol (beta blocker) and Promethazine (anti histamine)....these will help me through days 1-3. I'm hoping and praying that I've already started day 1. I don't like this at all - this is not supposed to be my life. I had 14onths for crying out loud. Thanks for your message!