Notices

Where was your last ever drink?

Old 05-01-2021, 01:43 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Where was your last ever drink?

Very complacent title as we’re all susceptible to a relapse in theory, but it’s in our hands whether we drink again or not. I’d like to think anyone reading this has quit for life, so I’m wondering if people can remember their last ever drink.

I’d cut down a lot in 2018 which was great for my health, but I was still very much dependent on alcohol. I flew back from Asia to Europe on New Years Eve and had one small beer on the flight. I didn’t enjoy it much and was too sleepy to have another. New Year’s Day I was too jet lagged to want a beer, and on the 2nd January I had an appointment to pick up my first prescription of Campral. It had taken a few months to get prescribed Campral, and I felt the effort warranted giving sobriety a real go.

I actually only took Campral for about six weeks. I still had cravings, but my mindset had changed. I knew that any little “rewards” would make quitting impossible.

So my last drink was in a plane somewhere over Asia on New Year’s Eve 2018/2019.

I wish I’d kept the empty can as a souvenir.

Old 05-01-2021, 01:51 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

I had my last drink the same place I had about 20 thousand of them.

On my couch.
Old 05-01-2021, 02:06 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I remember the date was Jan 3, because it would be my sobriety birthday, but I can't remember what I was doing on Jan 2. I was drinking obviously, but at home or a bar, I don't know. I did have a couple of empty bottles lying around the house, and arbitrarily designated one as the last bottle I ever bought. I kept it as kind of souvenir for a few years, and finally threw it out because keeping it wasn't as cool as I thought it would be. It wasn't a trigger. It even had some residual whisky in it, but it had zero nostalgia appeal. It was just a reminder of who I used to be. It never tempted me, not once, because of my deep disgust for the person I used to be. Had it ever caused me just a warm thought, I would have gotten rid of it sooner. But the reality was when I looked at I was feeling about as empty and blank as I ever felt about anything in my, so one day it just went into the trash, without a proper ceremony of any kind. Not even a "good riddance." It could have been me tossing empty egg shells, and then it was gone.
Old 05-01-2021, 02:10 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
p***enger

On my apartment floor
Old 05-01-2021, 02:22 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

It was the end of an especially drunken holiday season. I knew I was facing death if I didn't stop. I had weaned myself off the hard stuff & was drinking beer. I was a mess - pacing around my house - crying - knowing the end of my drinking career was imminent. I ended up in my kitchen - and poured those last swallows of beer down the drain.
Old 05-01-2021, 02:30 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

One solitary lukewarm beer in a smelly pub mid afternoon on NYE 2018. As I drank it I thought 'I hate this' and that was that.
Old 05-01-2021, 02:45 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
ZIP

In my garage, by myself, on November 12, 2018.
Old 05-01-2021, 02:54 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Same as Courage. On the floor of my flat.

Flat on my back.
Old 05-01-2021, 03:04 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Same place as all my drinks - in my chair at my desk. When I woke up the next morning I felt worse than I'd ever felt and knew that I was done with it for good. Haven't had a drink since.
Old 05-01-2021, 03:12 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Hangovers Suck!

Originally Posted by doggonecarl View Post
I had my last drink the same place I had about 20 thousand of them.

On my couch.
Similar here. I don't fully remember exactly how it played out that day, but my usual habit was begin around 2:00ish PM, and drink my fill before 8:00, and start drinking water to try and minimize the hangover the next day. I reckon I was a fairly disciplined boozer toward the end. Usually smoked some weed with the final drink for some enhancement.

I had been drinking only a couple times a week for a while, then it became every other day, then daily. I was really liking it, and realized, or more accurately admitted to myself what I already knew - I simply couldn't successfully moderate my intention to binge drink. I NEVER intended to have one and stop - WTF is the point in that? I intended to get as drunk as I could every time I drank, yet minimize the hangover.

I was 56, and had read where brain damage can become irreversible in heavy drinkers after age 60. I realized my dumbass couldn't afford to lose many more brain cells, so I stopped and came back here to SR to seek support and comradery of those who understand the struggle.

So - today is number 122 on this journey of permanent abstinence.

Originally Posted by least View Post
Same place as all my drinks - in my chair at my desk.
On edit, I always seemed to end up at my desk at home amusing myself on the internet and cyber drinking with other cyber-drunks

Last edited by JustJohn; 05-01-2021 at 03:17 PM. Reason: Add a quote
Old 05-01-2021, 03:43 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

In my garage surrounded by cigarettes butts and a ton of empty bottles. It smelled like stale smoke and desperation.
Old 05-01-2021, 04:19 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I honestly cannot remember. Much of the last few weeks I drank were spent blacked out. I think my last drink was behind the wheel of my car. Open bottle of vodka right between my legs I'm sure. Woke up the next morning, the day I quit, on the kitchen floor lying in a puddle of vodka and vomit. I kept the little silver lid to the vodka bottle that I found on the driver's seat of my car. God am I grateful that is behind me. Thinking about it makes me nauseous. I have absolutely no business being here to tell it.
Old 05-01-2021, 04:44 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Same as always - home, falling asleep before the movie ended. (In my sober life I can look forward to years of entertainment seeing the ends of the all the movies I missed).
Old 05-01-2021, 05:45 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
01-14-2019

I'm guessing the Kitchen. I was doing the shots by the sink and then wonder off to my chair, bed, couch whatever. I didn't anticipate keeping anything for any reason. We used to collect shot glasses. In a previous semi-serious quit attempt, I basically tossed them all and we started collecting magnets of places and experiences instead. They are easier to display on the fridge. The cabinet now has tea boxes and mugs.

I'm pretty sure I don't "remember" my last drink.

Grateful09- Let me tell you - it is a LOT more fun making it to the end of movies and not wasting so much time trying to re-watch and make it to the end over and over. I can now also complete books, video games, and all sorts of chores. It's been great.
Old 05-01-2021, 07:16 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

In the basement, chugging some cherry brandy out of the wet bar. After I spiked my ‘water’ with Tangueray, after I had a glass of wine with dinner. After I had a glass of wine before dinner.

Done killing myself. I’m no longer a cucumber, I’m a pickle. Over it.
Old 05-01-2021, 09:48 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

December 31, 2015 at a family NYE party, around 9:00 that night I decided I was done drinking after the evening, once midnight hit I stopped drinking (I’d already had too much that night). I have not once regretted that decision.
Old 05-02-2021, 12:02 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Alone in my bedroom. It was hand sanitizer. I drank 400ml and blacked out.
Old 05-02-2021, 12:43 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Front porch July 4th 2019.
Old 05-02-2021, 01:07 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

On the couch, in my PJs. Classy!
Old 05-02-2021, 01:21 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I had my last drink while sat in the same chair I'm now sat in, my computer chair, late on 24 January 2021. I'd had a sober spell last year and had drifted back to binge drinking late last year. However I was struggling to even do that, I was feeling exhausted and ill all the time. I had vowed I would stop at the end of 2020 but never did. However while drinking on Sunday 24 January I said to myself that after tonight that is it. I finished my last drink just before midnight and haven't drank since. Nor do I want to drink either. It has taken me weeks to pull around and to get some semblance of good health and I've still got some way to go before I can say I feel really healthy.