Notices

Coming out of a 2 week binge

Old 01-09-2021, 01:25 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Coming out of a 2 week binge

Hi everyone.
Have not posted in a long time, but for last 2 weeks i have been drinking 2 bottles of Red wine per night, yesterday i took a "break" and grabbed a box of 24 corona beer instead.

My tolerance is high, i have 0 hangover symptoms over these 2 weeks, a little groggy but my body is flooded with Alcohol and i feel nothing emotionally, i just exist.

Anyway this needs to stop. i will not be buying anything today, and since i woke up at 5pm i will have to sit all night without drinking.

I can do today, tomorrow...but iam worried about my withdrawals and cravings in 2 or 3 days.

We are in Covid Lockdown atm where i live so going out somewhere is not possible at this stage.

I feel like this is it, the damage is done, iam 30 and i cant go one day without a drink, once i feel a slight bit of stress all i want to do is drink.

Anyway, hope to get some tips on the cravings that are coming. thanks
Old 01-09-2021, 01:33 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back railtek

I don't think lockdown in SE Qld is going to be long term...its not going to be much an impediment for long.
this weekend could be a good opportunity to stay off the grog and get a plan together tho

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...very-plan.html (What exactly is a recovery plan?)
https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...-cravings.html (CarolD's tips for cravings)
D
Old 01-09-2021, 01:40 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Dee
yep iam not worried about the lockdown, just where i am at in life i guess.
Its a strange mix. I know iam drowning myself but i cant seem to muster anything to stop drowning myself, its like i want to push the limits.

My drinking patterns are very similar that of my grandfathers, and father, they were(are) very serious functional alcoholics. 3 -4 for normal days then a few days of extreme binges. Over and over again through out their lives.

This is the first time ive gone this long drinking everyday to the point iam not hungover anymore.
Old 01-09-2021, 01:51 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

If I can pill myself out of a 5 year drinking all day every day spiral, you can too man.

Use the lockdown - have a dry house....do some recovery reading, post here...maybe think about hitting up a AA or SMART Zoom meeting, even.

every bit of effort you put in you'll get back,

D
Old 01-09-2021, 01:56 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

30 is no age at all and to get sober now gives you your whole life to be lived with peace of mind free from the shackles of addiction. There is a solution and a good starting place is the book Alcoholics Anonymous and here on SR in my experience. There are also AA meetings available online throughout the day.
Old 01-09-2021, 02:07 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hey there railtek,
ive been working hard on and off to be sober for a few years now... Currently 33.
Every effort and all the time I have tried to be sober has been worth it. I have learnt something every time I spent time not drinking. It always is worth it. I am back where u are now because I thought I could have a couple here or there. For me it is not the case.
The first few days are rough. Let's get through them, grit our teeth and I hope to hear back from you with a few days under our belts
Old 01-09-2021, 10:54 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I would recommend your consulting with a physician before you stop “cold Turkey”. At the very least they can prescribe medication that will ease you through the withdrawal symptoms which can be quite unpleasant. At the most they can save your life by recommending inpatient detox: DT induced seizures can occur and can kill you. Detox with medical supervision is much safer.
Old 01-09-2021, 12:17 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi Railtek. You are ok. Just time to quit, that's all. Cravings are tough, but you don't need to listen to those thoughts. Interrupt the feed. If a craving comes, get up and move. Walk, take a drive if you are well enough, sit down outside no matter how cold or hot it is. You get the idea. Just try to stay out of the rutted parts of the trail.
Old 01-10-2021, 12:23 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I was worried about my future even before the pandemic. The hopelessness i struggle with is the main driver of my alcoholism. I have absolutely no idea what I will be doing a year from now when the pandemic should be under control. I want to be sober when that time comes however since important decisions await me.

You aren't alone with your feelings of uncertainty. Alcohol is a terrible coping mechanism though.