Notices

What brought you here? How did you find SR?

Old 12-26-2020, 02:28 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What brought you here? How did you find SR?

I belong to another support forum (not for addiction) and their motto is: Glad you found us, sorry you had to look for us at all.

SR is a great resource with many great people, both mods and us "laity."

1- What brought you here?
2- How did you find us?

God bless.
Old 12-26-2020, 02:32 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Me first...

1- Back in 2013 I was sick of drinking but really didn't want to quit. Tried moderating first. In 2015 I had a wake-up call that scared me. It was then I knew I had a problem.

2- I think google?? I might have started with another site but had low traffic. I started with a different username but about 18 months ago some family discovered it and it went south. So I went deep cover with a new name.
Old 12-26-2020, 02:45 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Information
Diagnosed addiction/ptsd in 1996 and spent the next ten years to get stabilized enough that in 2006 I have my own place again and internet.
Old 12-26-2020, 02:47 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

What brought me here was the darkness. I was in a bad place was going to check out. Had enough of the world. Spend alot of time online suicide prevention, depression, anxiety. Other forums I have came across was more like a drug or alcohol commercial highlighting all the good times of getting wasted. I actually used those site to find alternative methods of getting high. Well now here everyone is supportive of recovery, the admins are good about everyone getting along. I like it here. Today I work on day 226 of my prescription opiates and 8 years of alcohol and drugs.
Old 12-26-2020, 03:03 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I finally made the decision to look for help - in those days there were quite a few forums like this, but SR seemed to me like it was the best community I looked at.

It was a good choice, still paying dividends

D
Old 12-26-2020, 03:12 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

In around 2013 and 2014, I started having thoughts of how to deal with my drinking. It was the health effects that really prompted it. Still not enough to do anything about it though. I was starting to wonder how one goes about never drinking again.

I would google things about my health symptoms and drinking, and many times, I was brought to this site. I started reading stories here, especially stories from people who were sober for a good amount of time and would swear it was better on that side, the sober side. I didn't believe it at first. Like, how is that possible, I thought everything was better with a drink? How did these people get through life? How did they celebrate, unwind, commiserate, whatever? I read and read some more.

This site really stuck in my mind as the first place I found that showed me how a sober life was a better life, as told by people who once drank like I did.

I signed up late 2014. I came back late 2015, and with the help of SR, I became one of those people who can say, hand on heart, it's better on this side.
Old 12-26-2020, 03:26 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I found this site (google search) in 2016 after my partner of nearly 1.5 years decided to end our relationship. I lurked on and off and finally posted a year ago and joined the December 2019 class and found that extremely helpful. I relapsed in January 2020 and left the site and have come back this month to quit alcohol for good.
Old 12-26-2020, 03:50 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

This reminds me of the Dave Mathews Band song called "Too Much"

"I eat too much
I drink too much
I want too much
Too much"

Old 12-26-2020, 05:58 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I also found SR with a Google search back in March of 2012. I had been at a winery and decided I was done drinking, and then I didn’t post again until October of 2012 which was my first stretch of sobriety other than when I was pregnant/nursing. I made it to the 90 day mark and was very proud of myself, and then I thought moderation would be a good idea, I’m sure all of you can figure out that it was NOT a good idea.

I spent the next next three years alternating between small periods of sobriety followed by failed attempts of moderation. NYE 2015 something just clicked in my head that said no more, and this was the time that’s sobriety stuck. I will celebrate five years on January 1st.

The one thing that was constantly there throughout my journey was SR. Each failed start got me a little closer to where I am today, and throughout my failures SR welcomed me back and offered me support. The best thing about having a good period of time in recovery is that I can support others that may still be stuck in that failed attempt at moderation stage, or just starting out. The one thing I would want to say to anyone in this position is don’t give up, I promise it is worth it.

I am so grateful for SR and for my sobriety!

❤️ Delilah
Old 12-26-2020, 06:11 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I Googled too (2007) - but I wasn't calling myself an alcoholic back then. I was concerned about some health issues, so I searched for 'health problems of heavy drinkers'. The very first thing to pop up was an SR post. I had no intention of quitting, and certainly wasn't interested in joining a forum. Yet somehow I found myself engrossed in the posts - the friendliness - the empathy. This wasn't a preachy or judgmental place - who knew? I wasn't ready to quit - it took me a few months of reading & posting - but it finally happened thanks to all that I read here. In early 2008 I was ready to get free, & SR helped me begin my new life.

Notch - glad you are here too! I love the thread.
Old 12-26-2020, 06:41 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Honestly I don't remember joining but I'm glad I did. I must of been very drunk ...
Old 12-26-2020, 09:08 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi,

After 5 months sobriety I was on my iPad just getting lost in anything & everything to do with my newfound sobriety.

I came upon this SR Site one evening. I read a few threads, was interested and I’ve been here pretty much every day for 7-1/2 years.

Vacations, cruises, visiting my parents in Idaho or just here at home. I check into the 24 Hour Recovery, you all are My SR Family ❤️❤️.

Bobbi
Old 12-26-2020, 09:33 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

In 06 I joined WQD? and didn't put any effort into it and then to SR many years later.
Both found by my good buddy Google.
Old 12-26-2020, 09:55 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Lpg

Hey

2017 I woke up from yet another binge, blacked out scared, tired & anxious because I just couldn't stop doing it. I didn't know I was an alcoholic, I was only 26 so it felt ridiculous to me I could be & I didn't believe it but I was desperate for help.
I googled 'why can't I stop drinking when I start' which led me firstly to a site for AA, done some reading & was shocked to find a pretty accurate description of my drinking, sent an email to them which then followed with more info and a checklist type thing for alcoholism, further evidence.....after a few back & forth emails they suggestes I get myself to a meeting ASAP, I wasn't ready for that.

Next link I found was SR, posted here found nothing but support. I was actually reading over my old posts yesterday I think I joined in the April and managed to make it stick by the Nov. Had to try a few more times just to be sure you know?! 😅 It was funny looking at my posts because I can see alot of immaturity there & I just couldn't get my head around it, I didn't want it to be true & it was hard to accept. I'm grateful I found SR it's really helped me change my life 360, I would prob be down a very bad hole right now if I didn't get the support I needed. Forever grateful
Old 12-26-2020, 10:31 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

When I found SR, I was a member of another recovery site, but it was not moderated and was quite 'rough', to say the least. When I found SR I knew I had to stop drinking but didn't know if I could do it. I felt afraid and alone but the members here welcomed me and made me feel at home and valued. I owe SR my sobriety and have made many friends here. I am so grateful SR is here for those of us who need support and suggestions.

Old 12-26-2020, 10:36 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Mr

Hello.

My life had been totally out of control for years and i was coming out of a week in a detox programme in a local hospital.
I thought I could use some online friends people who knew what it means to be one of us. I found SR five years ago in march. I had lots of success since and now i think sobriety has clicked in my tenth month.

It is indeed a great resource and once you get used to navigating your way around and you get involved in some threads you will keep coming back. You take out what you put in as they say

Best wishes for 2021
Old 12-27-2020, 05:08 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Many different stories, from different backgrounds, with one goal: never drink again! I raise my mug of black coffee to all of us!
Old 12-27-2020, 06:25 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
sober style

It was the free coffee and donuts that first lured me in here to SR, about 5 years ago. I guess I can admit it now.
Old 12-27-2020, 06:36 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SnazzyDresser View Post
It was the free coffee and donuts that first lured me in here to SR, about 5 years ago. I guess I can admit it now.
Its hard to resist a good glazed donut!
Old 12-27-2020, 07:52 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Did someone say glazed doughnut??