Notices

What brought you here? How did you find SR?

Old 12-27-2020, 08:02 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I was preparing to relocate back to my home town
and was looking for an online recovery group to
stay connected while absent from my AA meetings.

Once i got settled, i also stayed connected here after
researching led me here. I then realized that there are
folks like me with lots of ESH to share and lots of
newcomers scared to attend face to face meetings
who are also shy or scared to speak or share in those
f2f meetings.

Someone's got to be here for those who need help,
support, understanding when just coming into recovery.

Folks spreading the word of encouragement. Being a
beacon of light to let others know that they are not alone
in their addiction and recovery.

Folks helped me from day one for yrs teaching me
the ropes of recovery learning how to not drink and
to live life not depending on alcohol. So many lessons
teaching me not to repeat old behaviors.

Once i learned some valueable lessons in recovery
then it was time for me to be responsible and not be
selfish in keeping those lessons to myself. That i needed
to step up and share my own ESH, experiences, strengths
and hopes of what my life was and is like before, during
and after alcohol addiction to the newcomer.

In doing so for the past 30 yrs, i have been blessed
in my own life with many of life's rewarding gifts along
the way.

This journey in life is not over yet as long as there
are folks out there in cyber land, SR, looking for
help and support, seeking for a healthier happy
honest way to life life free from their addiction.

SR is one of those awesome recovery lifelines I
continue to hold on to each day I remain sober.
Old 12-27-2020, 09:37 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Notch8 View Post
1- What brought you here?
2- How did you find us?
I was in another forum for years, which I enjoyed, but it had nothing to do with alcoholism. It was always challenging, and I like that, but it started to become very toxic, and it was poorly monitored. I started wondering why I was there anymore. And most alcoholics agree that toxic situations are not good for them. In truth, they are not good for anyone, but the internet being what it is, offers lots of that.

I've always enjoyed being in a forum, and I realized I needed to find something that was enjoyable rather than toxic, and having gotten sober in a group 25 years ago, I've always had an interest in recovery, although in the last 10 years, alcohol or alcoholism was something I no longer gave much thought to. But I started looking around and found this site, read a few posts, and realized something constructive would suit me better than something destructive. I don't have a problem with alcohol anymore, but the topic is still interesting, and I do know something about it. There's still more to learn, and I thought I had helpful things I could share.

This site did require require odd although pleasant adjustment. At first I sometimes struggled not to be argumentative, because my last forum was built around conflict. Here, I am actually learning how to just enjoy the quiet. I don't need conflict in my life. It is simply unnecessary, and sometimes it makes sense just to walk away rather than engage. Actually, I think we need to walk away more than just "sometimes." There are enough newcomers here who are struggling with personal issues, many of which revolve around conflict, which is the last thing they need at this point. People can get better and grow without being bashed over the head.

This place feels like a good fit for me.

Old 12-27-2020, 10:09 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I need someplace to check in. I post on other forums so I'm comfortable doing it this way. I don't agree with some of AA's beliefs and am not a huge fan of the group setting either. This seems like the best place for me to just pop on just to remind myself of how bad it gets (I seem to forget about the downs and only remember the ups after several months of sobriety)
Old 12-27-2020, 03:04 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I somehow was sober for three days in a row in Feb, 2016, and I looked up "sober for three days" or "three days sober" and found an AA-based forum. I tried that for about two days and I didn't fit in and I was gently asked to leave. I joined SR and it has been one of the best things that ever happened to me. Everyone at SR has been fantastic and understanding, and for the first time I realized that I wasn't alone and there was hope for me. I threw myself into sobriety and have taken it extremely seriously, and I will have five years of sobriety on Feb. 3, 2021.
Old 12-27-2020, 03:22 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

What brought me here was looking for a way to connect with others who were like me because I wasn't willing to go out of my house at night to go to a meeting because I didn't trust myself to get there without changing my mind and hitting the bar. I loved the different perspectives given different stages of life and recovery that people were at. I needed a way to protect my anonymity because of the roles I had in my community.

I found SR on the internet in 2013; about a year into my sobriety. Times have changed, and so have I, but I'm still connected to SR I know that in order for me to maintain being clean and sober, I need to maintain this type of connection although I do now live in another state and do attend face-to-face meetings occasionally.
Old 12-27-2020, 03:26 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

I had been active on another site, foolishly using my first name, last initial for my username. My girls found some paperwork I’d printed from the site and my 17-yr old hunted me down on line and read all my shtuff.

Changing user names on the site was forbidden (I begged to no avail), so I opened a new account. That was also against the rules; I was banned from posting.

That was a good thing because it forced me to find a new place. I like it here. I’ve never needed to change my name, but I know I could if I needed to.
Old 12-28-2020, 12:28 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I had been sober about a year from alcohol and prescribed opiates. I had been participating in a meetings-based approach which, although it helped a great deal and I credit it with helping me stay sober, it was not sitting well with me over time. I knew I wanted to stay sober but was not very well-informed about the various approaches and different ways of understanding addiction. I googled and found SR, and started learning so much about the different ways people approached it. And I discovered a wealth of kindness and understanding here. It was a huge help to my continued sobriety, and still is.
Old 12-28-2020, 08:52 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
EnjoyingTheJourney

In 2015 I googled "Do I have a drinking problem" and that query led me to SR. I created a PW and promptly forgot the PW. SR, the people and the stories stayed with me. I looked it up again in 2016, got sober and have never left.

SR saved my life and helped me feel less alone in my struggles.

So many good stories, thanks for starting this thread!
Old 03-27-2022, 07:03 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

I bring this old thread back to life since to me at least it's an interesting topic.

I have been on a number of topic focused internet forums for my various interests for almost 20 years so when I needed some sobriety support I searched for on line recovery forums. Like someone else posted I found the AA run forum too but I found this one more interesting so I made this one my on line home forum.
Old 03-27-2022, 08:02 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

1. I was desperate, drinking was causing problems in my life.

2. I don't remember, most likely a google search.
Old 03-27-2022, 09:28 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

I have no clue how I found SR in 2018 I guess. I did not know online forums existed for alcohol problems. Just got lucky and landed in here!
Old 03-27-2022, 10:43 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

I remember searching online for a forum when I joined in August of 2013. Summer was winding down and it was a month of heavy drinking for me. As the start of school was approaching, I desperately wanted to find a place where I could easily check in often for emotional support and work toward sobriety. SR just seemed to be the right fit for me. I'm glad it's still available. Kudos to the administrators for keeping up the good work!
Old 03-27-2022, 10:50 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

To be honest I was so lonely in my addiction and was reaching out. Somehow I found you all...I think it was divine intervention.
Old 03-27-2022, 11:47 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

I joined in mid-2019 when I was 7 months sober. I say sober, but I was drinking 2 or 3 cans a day of alcohol free beer. When I had a trigger, and I had quite a few in 2019, I’d hit the alcohol free beer. So I wasn’t quite out the woods after seven months (and none of us ever are), and SR offered a place to vent. There are some heartbreaking stories of relapses here. These should be a message to all that relapses and kindling must be avoided at all costs. Before joining SR, I assumed I’d be able to be an occasional drinker eventually. It’s bitter sweet as I get upset reading relapse stories, but they help me and others. I’m always full of admiration for those brave enough to post when things aren’t going well.

Old 03-27-2022, 02:10 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

I googled “sober” and got on this site. But it really was an accident. I didn’t even know what a message board was but the connection with others here was key for me to stop drinking and stay that way. I started reading the stories and then posted. The forum leader at the time suggested I start a Gratitude List and I think I posted daily through one year. I really felt that kept me going. I learned the basic tools and then you pick up things here and there and it can be the smallest thing that can become hugely important if you’re open to it.
Old 03-27-2022, 07:18 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

In 2019, after 10 days in-patient, I began a PHP outpatient program. I was out of work, anyway, but had a little severance pay, and made recovery a full time job for six months. This site, and others, help me stay sober.

I don't post very much, but I read the threads and find inspiration, solace, and sometimes am reminded of how much I have to lose if I relapse.
Old 03-29-2022, 08:34 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

My problem with alcohol had been solved 20 years before I discovered this place. I was just looking for a well moderated forum without trolls that was devoted to an important issue. I also experience a vicarious pleasure watching people recover. So I guess what brought me here was mostly the fellowship.
Old 03-30-2022, 02:38 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Divine Providence
Old 03-30-2022, 05:23 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by stickyone View Post
What brought me here was the darkness. I was in a bad place was going to check out. Had enough of the world. Spend alot of time online suicide prevention, depression, anxiety. Other forums I have came across was more like a drug or alcohol commercial highlighting all the good times of getting wasted. I actually used those site to find alternative methods of getting high. Well now here everyone is supportive of recovery, the admins are good about everyone getting along. I like it here. Today I work on day 226 of my prescription opiates and 8 years of alcohol and drugs.
Nice job! I am almost the flip of you. I don't remember how many days of alcohol I have probably had more than your opiates but I am years removed from my benzos addiction... those withdrawls off benzos were THE WORST!
Old 03-30-2022, 10:14 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

I found SR from a google search.
I wanted to find a group of individuals who could hold me accountable for my actions.