Notices

Coronavirus

Old 03-07-2020, 06:58 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Coronavirus

I was thinking about loading up on vodka to start my own disinfectant business since all the stores seem to be running out of Purel and isopropyl alcohol.

What do you guys think?
Old 03-07-2020, 07:06 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
~sb

use hydrogen peroxide or try these, but do NOT mix them together!

https://www.daytondailynews.com/news...QwneYzSue8qQL/
Old 03-07-2020, 07:09 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yeah right TWTOM!

It's a conspiracy by the vodka manufacturers. Don't get sucked in, they've got your number.
Old 03-07-2020, 07:29 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Not enough alcohol in Vodka.
Old 03-07-2020, 07:30 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Got to mix it with Corona to fight the corona virus!
Old 03-07-2020, 07:33 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by HeadEast View Post
Not enough alcohol in Vodka.
I hear ya. I could never get enough of the stuff.
Old 03-07-2020, 08:05 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

A recent survey by a company called 5W Public Relations found that 38% of respondents would not drink Corona beer due to the coronavirus. It seems too stupid to be credible, but apparently it is legit. However, if I consumed Corona or any other kind of liquor it would be deadlier than the coronavirus for me.
Old 03-07-2020, 08:13 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Yes, but now you're a changed man and your cup runneth over in better ways and we love you for it.
Old 03-07-2020, 11:04 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Im not vibing on that business model Chris.

What would be a great thing was if people got together (at a companies level or just concerned citizens) and make sure there was a supply of staples - rice, pasta, oats, tinned food, sanitisers and toilet paper - for elderly infirm or low income folks.

https://thenewdaily.com.au/news/nati...s-stockpiling/

D
Old 03-08-2020, 12:03 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Well said Dee.

We've just ahad a case here where two women have been charged with affray after getting into a fight over toilet paper. Awful. Unbelievable.
Old 03-08-2020, 01:51 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Nope, not enough alcohol in Vodka to kill the virus- stay away from that for sure!

It is getting very serious and worrying here in Italy. They have just quarantined 16 million people. There are a lot of cases around me. People are very worried.
Local supermarkets are offering free delivery to anyone over the age of 65, which is nice. Food is back in stock but no hand gels, cleaning supplies, masks available anywhere. I know, I know, just wash your hands....

The biggest problem now is that hospitals are absolutely overwhelmed and there are not enough beds for anyone- virus or not.
To put it in real perspective, hospitals are now selecting patients as there is not enough room or equipment to treat everyone. A friend’s mother is in the hospital, she went for something else serious, but contracted the coronavirus there. But she was not given a bed in the ICU nor a respirator as she is 83 and they are giving those to younger people with better chance of survival. The family is not allowed to visit her even as she is dying. A notice came out that hospital care and respirators will only be given to those with the best chance of survival, not the weakest. Bad, bad stuff.
Old 03-08-2020, 03:01 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Oh my god Mera that's terrible!
Old 03-08-2020, 04:09 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

my local shop has sold out of soap, toilet roll and... beer. 18 months ago that would’ve caused me real panic
Old 03-08-2020, 06:55 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I wondered when we'd get a Corona virus thread. And yeah, great idea to buy vodka and lots of it. NOT.

Mera I'm sorry about what is happening in Italy. Its only a small miracle that the state I am in has no cases yet. Or none reported. Yet. I'm 55 and have cancer. And a daughter in college that comes home every weekend. But I'm over all healthy. I think I'd survive it. I think most people will. I know your situation with Ex....but maybe he knows to protect himself.

It is scary. I have 3 levels of thought about this: The Cognitive, that likes to 'observe' what is happening. The heart, that says "OH MY GOD". And the gut that says: Prepare as best I can, avoid unnecessary trips to crowded places, wash wash wash hands, keep calm. I guess I was lucky in that I bought a stock of rubbing alcohol, hand sanatizer and all other necessary stuff like masks (I am supposed to fly in April but we shall see), rubber gloves (always have those cause I'm weird that way) etc. I also have a box, somewhere in my packed garage (remodeling right now) that is for these occasions. Pandemic prepared -ness lets call it. I can find it if need be. I have no option to stock food, no kitchen, but I would if I could. I can't help myself.

But toilet paper? How could I leave that one out? Lol. I was at costco about 10 days ago and was shocked: What's the deal with TP? There was a huge line: 3 workers ushering 5 people at a time into the aisle to take no more than 3 packs. I thought, ok I don't need toilet paper. But as I shopped it was a like a brain worm. I HAD to get TP. Mass psychology. Well lucky me, going up the aisle along the back wall, was able to just walk into the aisle and take 1 pack off the last pallet. Ha! Take that long line. Since then I've picked up a stock of TP. What the heck? Group think, Mass psychology. Herd panic.

I think we buy stuff like crazy during these times because it's primal. We are afraid so we revert back to our hunter/gatherer brains. I think it gives me a sense that I have some control. I remember as 911 was happening, my daughter was just a baby, and my first thought was to go to Costo and fill my truck. Why? Control. Or the perception of it.

Interesting. Meanwhile wash hands, make a game of not touching the face (it's incredibly hard), wash phone, glasses, keys. Stay healthy. Don't drink.
Old 03-08-2020, 07:02 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Or maybe people could wash their hands
Old 03-08-2020, 07:57 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

Gosh, Mera, that sounds awful and so sad. I hope you and your boys stay safe and healthy.
Old 03-08-2020, 08:02 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by entropy1964 View Post
I wondered when we'd get a Corona virus thread. And yeah, great idea to buy vodka and lots of it. NOT.

Mera I'm sorry about what is happening in Italy. Its only a small miracle that the state I am in has no cases yet. Or none reported. Yet. I'm 55 and have cancer. And a daughter in college that comes home every weekend. But I'm over all healthy. I think I'd survive it. I think most people will. I know your situation with Ex....but maybe he knows to protect himself.

It is scary. I have 3 levels of thought about this: The Cognitive, that likes to 'observe' what is happening. The heart, that says "OH MY GOD". And the gut that says: Prepare as best I can, avoid unnecessary trips to crowded places, wash wash wash hands, keep calm. I guess I was lucky in that I bought a stock of rubbing alcohol, hand sanatizer and all other necessary stuff like masks (I am supposed to fly in April but we shall see), rubber gloves (always have those cause I'm weird that way) etc. I also have a box, somewhere in my packed garage (remodeling right now) that is for these occasions. Pandemic prepared -ness lets call it. I can find it if need be. I have no option to stock food, no kitchen, but I would if I could. I can't help myself.

But toilet paper? How could I leave that one out? Lol. I was at costco about 10 days ago and was shocked: What's the deal with TP? There was a huge line: 3 workers ushering 5 people at a time into the aisle to take no more than 3 packs. I thought, ok I don't need toilet paper. But as I shopped it was a like a brain worm. I HAD to get TP. Mass psychology. Well lucky me, going up the aisle along the back wall, was able to just walk into the aisle and take 1 pack off the last pallet. Ha! Take that long line. Since then I've picked up a stock of TP. What the heck? Group think, Mass psychology. Herd panic.

I think we buy stuff like crazy during these times because it's primal. We are afraid so we revert back to our hunter/gatherer brains. I think it gives me a sense that I have some control. I remember as 911 was happening, my daughter was just a baby, and my first thought was to go to Costo and fill my truck. Why? Control. Or the perception of it.

Interesting. Meanwhile wash hands, make a game of not touching the face (it's incredibly hard), wash phone, glasses, keys. Stay healthy. Don't drink.
Not touching the face is so incredibly hard. Why is it that the face is by far the itchiest place on the entire body?!?
Old 03-08-2020, 08:25 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I'm really concerned, too. I work in senior living and we are being so careful. I'm sending hopes and prayers to those in Italy and other hard hit places.
I agree, the vodka is a very bad idea.
I've been thinking that people stocking up on things are being silly, but guess what? I'm going to Walmart in a few minutes. I just want to be prepared in case, like everyone else I guess.
I love Dee's idea, we should make a 'pool' of supplies for the elderly, ill and poor. I would love to be part of that.
Happy Sober Sunday everyone!
Old 03-08-2020, 09:11 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I really like Dee's idea also. That's something I never really thought of.

Not touching your face IS incredibly hard. I've been paying attention to how much I do it and how natural it is.

Steely: Why does it not surprise me two people got into a fight over toilet paper. Yikes.

Mera: thanks for the update. That sounds horrible. Stay safe.

I'm off to change the time on all the clocks that didn't change automatically. I'll have to pull out the owners manual for the car clock. Again.
Old 03-08-2020, 11:23 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

No drinking alcohol has enough alcohol to kill the virus. Using vodka to make something that is extremely cheap is totally smart (...no)
People are panicking. Many things, such as pasta, are disappearing from supermarkets. Also toilet paper or masks. Why would you choose to go for alcohol-based option and vodka?