Notices

Coronavirus

Old 03-08-2020, 11:27 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kas0tIxDvrg
Old 03-08-2020, 11:28 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

the whole thing is scary. Viruses are scary. People panic buying and fighting over toilet rolls and other things are even more scary
Old 03-08-2020, 11:34 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Steely View Post
Well said Dee.

We've just ahad a case here where two women have been charged with affray after getting into a fight over toilet paper. Awful. Unbelievable.
That fight made the news here in the UK. It would be laughable if the whole thing wasn't so serious. And some shops here are starting to run out of essentials such as toilet paper and basic foods such as tins of soup. Some supermarkets are now limiting hand sanitiser products to two per person.
Old 03-08-2020, 12:12 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by cantsleep123 View Post
Not touching the face is so incredibly hard. Why is it that the face is by far the itchiest place on the entire body?!?
I remember reading somewhere that the place on your body that has the most bacteria is your eyelashes. It has more bacteria than anywhere on your entire body. If you think about it your eyelashes trap anything from dust to particles in the air including bacteria so it is no wonder your eyelashes have so much bacteria. That is why it is not good to rub your eyes too much because the bacteria from your eyelashes can get into your eyes and cause an infection like pink eye and other things.

As far as coronavirus, yes I am a bit scared and panicked myself. Just slowly stocking up on water, toilet paper, food, vegetables, rubbing alcohol, hydrogen peroxide, and other supplies. Little by little my friend and I go to the grocery store to get supplies just in case of an outbreak but all we can do is hope for the best and prepare for the worst I guess.
Old 03-08-2020, 12:29 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I'm adopting the "don't panic" approach.

Read a psych article the other day which showed humans as not being very good at assessing risk to self. Can't remember the exact figures but when various flus were around people predicted they'd contract it when in fact a fraction actually did.

This seems to be true for 'scary' and unfamiliar risk, not the risk of the familiar. Fear drives us hard. I think the world has been scared for a long time projected now onto the coronavirus? Who knows? Seems older and more vulnerable people run the greatest risk. More people die from flu. It's killing the economy that's for sure.

The fight was terrible HeadEast. One woman had a supermarket trolley packed with toilet paper, the other wanted ONE pack from her stockpile and was refused. And it was ON! Share your roll I say.

I'm washing my hands and adopting standard hygiene practice, that's all.

Don't panic and share your roll.
Old 03-08-2020, 12:58 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I have however refrained from visiting my brother in Age Care facility as know these people are at greater risk.

Thanks for video on exponential change TWTOM. I'm not cavalier about it. Just not freaking out. Neighbour here is spreading rumour that 40,000 people have died.
Old 03-08-2020, 01:06 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ThatWasTheOldMe View Post
This is an excellent video. Thanks for posting it. I like how it highlights that if people are afraid then the outcome will be better. Also there is a huge difference from being afraid and panicking.
Old 03-08-2020, 01:09 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

The only thing I'm a bit concerned about is going to my AA meetings. These are obvious places where people from all over the area meet - intermingling different "populations" so to speak.

But I don't want people to think I relapsed or look at me like I don't take sobriety seriously...

Stupid thoughts in my head.
Old 03-08-2020, 01:36 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

It's not stupid to take precaution TWTOM. I think that's what the video was suggesting. Take precaution as to its spread, but don't freak out.

An AA meeting is a very closed environment. I'd consider not going depending on the environment within the meeting. What are other members doing?

It's the panic, fear mongering that disturbs me. Another (Chinese) neighbor has been sent to Coventry (ostracised) as has an Indonesian man. It's disturbing.
  # 30 (permalink)  

The whole thing is interesting. As I'm heading into Albertson's I couldn't stop the song My Sharona going through my head...except it was My Corona. Too soon? Sorry. My sick sense of humor.

I also had this, what I thought was unique, idea to DIY hand sanitizer. Aloe vera gel with 99% alcohol, which I have lots of cause I use it to clean all my screens, phone, glasses (I am anal about gross glasses) etc etc. So I have at least 6 or 7 bottles. But no! Alas I'm not the only one thinking that. No aloe anywhere.

And really? Hand sanitizer is a false sense of security. Nothing beats good ole soap and water.

I rub a scare on the bridge of my nose when I'm thinking and/or uncomfortable. Or lying. Haha. Not that I lie all the time but its when I'm not being completely straight forward....very interesting.
  # 31 (permalink)  

So stop touching and kissing your partner. Don't hug your child. Don't take money from a vendor. Don't get within 6 feet of anyone. I honestly think this is over exaggerated. Not to say there haven't been some deaths. But people die from things everyday.
Old 03-08-2020, 02:03 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

I agree KMT. I guess all I'm saying is that we should take normal precautions. I'm trying to follow what the health dept is advising.

The coronavurus spreads quickly, but is not fatal to many as far as I can work out.

Normal precautions and protect older and vulnerable people from its spread.

I'd be interested in hearing what health dept has to say about meetings and similar environments. I know heaps of conferences have been cancelled to contain spread. Containment seems to be what will drive the curve down.

Sensible containment. Common sense.

FWIW I have an appointment with Respiratory Medicine at local hospital on Thursday. Getting help to quit smoking. This in my mind could be a hotbed, but I'm still going.

None of the doctors or staff are wearing masks and stuff. Sanitiser at front desk. And this is respiratory medicine.
Old 03-08-2020, 02:08 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

And should we shut down businesses so people don't work? Schools are on quarantine. My job wouldn't have any sales and everyone would be laid off. Out of business. Our economy would collapse. This hysteria is too much.
Old 03-08-2020, 03:42 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

I hear soap works just fine for cleaning and I dont get why people are buying water. I dont think our water is going to go out because of this. It is nice having an international forum like this to get some perspective.
Old 03-08-2020, 03:47 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by KissMyTiara View Post
So stop touching and kissing your partner. Don't hug your child. Don't take money from a vendor. Don't get within 6 feet of anyone. I honestly think this is over exaggerated. Not to say there haven't been some deaths. But people die from things everyday.
I hear alot of this is about slowing the curve down so our hospitals are not all hit at once. They seem to think they can slow and stretch the curve out. Just what I have heard. So for example we dont get low on respirators like in Italy. I sure hope they are busy making more. It dont seem like something that would take that long to build. Seems like they could slap alot of them together fairly quickly but what do I know. Also I have not heard anyone suggest not touching and kissing your partner or hugging ones child. I have heard the 6 foot thing mentioned though.
Old 03-08-2020, 06:24 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ThatWasTheOldMe View Post
The only thing I'm a bit concerned about is going to my AA meetings. These are obvious places where people from all over the area meet - intermingling different "populations" so to speak.

But I don't want people to think I relapsed or look at me like I don't take sobriety seriously...

Stupid thoughts in my head.
I have this concern too. My 72 year old mother in law lives with me. I don't know about your group but mine is full of smokers and older people that have absolutely no clue how to cough safely or wash their hands. One old man coughed directly into his hand then grabbed mine. He non chalantly mentions "I haven't been feeling well since Wednesday". I'm seriously considering not going for a couple of weeks. I'm in zero danger of drinking currently. Hopefully my sponsor will understand if that's the decision I make.
Old 03-09-2020, 02:08 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by KissMyTiara View Post

Obviously families and romantic partners are still in close contact, but the order is for the general public.

As for closing schools, businesses, etc. YES, it is already having a terrible effect on the economy and will absolutely devastate this summer's tourism business here in Italy (and other countries affected). Many businesses will close their doors for good, they won't be able to survive this, people will be out of work, it is going to get very bad. But it seems to be the recommendation to slow the spread.

Coronavirus: WHO thanks Mattarella, hails Italy - General news - ANSAMed.it
Old 03-09-2020, 02:37 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

I think the media are making this such a big thing and creating so much fear and causing people to go crazy..
My only worry is the closing of borders and having to self isolate after returning from overseas. I have a trip to Spain scheduled in May with my mum and we had to put it off last year as my mum's friend passed away so I'm really hoping my government will allow me to go and my work as I work in a hospital.
Old 03-09-2020, 04:05 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

So my brother has been told he doesn't need to worry or self isolate by the helpline. On Friday his Jujitsu instructor went to the gym. This gym has since been closed because a man with confirmed Corona virus went there at the same time. The instructor wasn't told until Sunday, and had spent many hours wrestling with many people at his Jujitsu class, one of which is my brother.
To me, this is quite high risk, close contact hot sweaty gym equipment etc, with the long incubation period too. But my brother has to send his son to school, and go to work because he's not deemed a risk because he hasn't been to China or Italy!
​​​​
Old 03-09-2020, 06:30 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Everyone has good input. And I think Abraham is right, slow the spread. Its not about if we will get it, it's when. Until their is a vaccine, no one has any resistance to the bug. Hence the very rapid and virulent nature.

But yes the impact to the economy will be huge. We needed a correction in the stock market, just not such a rapid one. Time to refinance the house! Silver lining. But yeah, I would expect a recession in the US. Its going to be a weird year...and how this will impact the election.....