Notices

Where to start?

Old 10-01-2019, 01:30 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Where to start?

I'm about to turn 42 and its time to stop. A bottle of vodka a night is where I'm finally at after years of progression from what used to seem fun. I haven't been to a doctor in years and know that should be stop one. May seem like a silly question but what type of doc should I see? Are there doctors that specialize in treatment? I've also located an AA group within a quick walk from my house so will be reaching out to them but I will need to get the initial withdrawal done before I would be comfortable going to a meting. Thanks. This is a fantastic website and forum
Old 10-01-2019, 01:54 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Probably best to see your GP in the first instance but if you are really struggling with withdrawals it’s a really really good idea to go to Emergency / Hospital.

Welcome & good to have you here.
Old 10-01-2019, 02:07 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Good luck, Joshuatree, and well done for taking the decision to quit. The GP will offer a blood test to make sure your liver is still OK. As you’re there and you’ve not seen a doc in a while, get your blood sugar and blood pressure checked too.

That’s the physical side, as for quitting, my GP prescribed a drug called Campral to reduce cravings. Make sure to tell your GP you want to quit forever. That way they’ll know you mean business. GPs must get lied to a lot and let down by patients who drink, so be honest about your drinking and make it very clear you want to quit.

42 is still young. I quit at 48/49 and turned things around hugely. Good luck again.
Old 10-01-2019, 02:10 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think that talking to your family doctor is the best thing to do. If you are honest with him, he should be able to tell you whether it's okay to stop drinking cold turkey. He/she can also deal with any health questions that you have.

I'm glad you're here.
Old 10-01-2019, 02:26 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

To echo the other posts, your GP should be the first stop. You need a blood test to check on your liver. You may need to change more than your drinking habits (eliminate processed carbs and sugar) so your liver can heal itself.

And as also noted, the best course of action to stop. I was told by the Dr. the safest way to stop drinking after years of daily heavy abuse was to slowly taper down the drinking over a couple weeks to reduce the detox effects. Unfortunately, the taper method isn't very effective with us alcoholics because once we hit that limit, we say F it and keep on drinking regardless of our original intentions.

Don't be afraid or embarrassed to ask for help. One thing every one of us here has learned, you can't do it by yourself. Best of luck.
Old 10-01-2019, 02:47 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by abgator View Post
To echo the other posts, your GP should be the first stop. You need a blood test to check on your liver. You may need to change more than your drinking habits (eliminate processed carbs and sugar) so your liver can heal itself.

And as also noted, the best course of action to stop. I was told by the Dr. the safest way to stop drinking after years of daily heavy abuse was to slowly taper down the drinking over a couple weeks to reduce the detox effects. Unfortunately, the taper method isn't very effective with us alcoholics because once we hit that limit, we say F it and keep on drinking regardless of our original intentions.

Don't be afraid or embarrassed to ask for help. One thing every one of us here has learned, you can't do it by yourself. Best of luck.
As you can see from original join date I have at least thought I wanted to quit for a long time. Now I am going to. At the beginning of the year I cut the sugar and carbs. I also quit other drugs and stopped smoking cigs until 5pm rolls around and it's poison time. Thank you all for the comments. How does everyone feel on the taper advice? Aside from the obvious stated above about (the F it syndrome)
Old 10-01-2019, 03:04 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I never tried to taper. I knew all too well what would happen. Tapering or moderation wouldn't work for me, but everyone's different.
I agree, go to your doctor and be brutally honest about your drinking and that you want to quit for good.

Best to you, and yeah, hit that meeting when you're ready.
Old 10-01-2019, 03:53 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by joshuatreee View Post
... I've also located an AA group within a quick walk from my house so will be reaching out to them but....
Where to start?

I might mention where not to start: "Yeah, but first......."

Unless you immediately need an emergency room, go immediately to the dang AA meeting now and talk to the people there about local doctors. (It's good you took the step to find one at least.)

I've seen people prolong their drinking and in some cases die saying, "Yeah, I will, but first I gotta...(fill in the blank, or, use something like taper off first--you already know the answer to tapering off)."

p.s. I'd sugar coat all this, but it sounds like you've been around the block a few times and know the score. Go for it.
Old 10-01-2019, 04:06 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

My taper was my normal bottle of rum to 10 beers the next day and 4 beers the next day then nothing for almost 3 months now. Tapers are generally not recommended as they are difficult cuz your still drinking and just want to drink more , ofcourse. I did the fast 2 day taper just cuz I was worried about withdrawals since I had had the habit for almost 3 decades. I only had minimal withdrawals but I dont think it was because of the taper but who knows. Best of luck to you. You can do it just like alot of folks have. I to signed up at first a long time ago and am just now quitting for good so I know where your at and it can be done.
Old 10-01-2019, 04:37 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ColoradoRocky View Post
Where to start?

I might mention where not to start: "Yeah, but first......."

Unless you immediately need an emergency room, go immediately to the dang AA meeting now and talk to the people there about local doctors. (It's good you took the step to find one at least.)

I've seen people prolong their drinking and in some cases die saying, "Yeah, I will, but first I gotta...(fill in the blank, or, use something like taper off first--you already know the answer to tapering off)."

p.s. I'd sugar coat all this, but it sounds like you've been around the block a few times and know the score. Go for it.
I've been playing this game for way to long. Dont want or need anything sugar coated. Thanks for the message
Old 10-01-2019, 05:20 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Im 42, quit a year and a half ago, tapered, no AA, just this amazing website, Rational Recovery and deciding FINALLY to put my values and desire for a better life over my desires to get drunk.

Start with today and then the next today and eventually things will get easier.

A plan is what's needed though. Dee is the man for that.

Welcome. A better life is just waiting for you.
Old 10-01-2019, 05:24 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lessgravity View Post
Im 42, quit a year and a half ago, tapered, no AA, just this amazing website, Rational Recovery and deciding FINALLY to put my values and desire for a better life over my desires to get drunk.

Start with today and then the next today and eventually things will get easier.

A plan is what's needed though. Dee is the man for that.

Welcome. A better life is just waiting for you.
Feel that .. exactly where I am at. I have no desire to do it anymore. Just a matter of pulling the trigger now
Old 10-01-2019, 05:35 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I hope you use the awesome support here to help you get sober for good. I don't regret quitting one bit, and wish I had done it sooner. But I'm sober now, almost 10 yrs, and wake up most days feeling good and ready for the day.

For lots of support, post in the October Class thread here on Newcomers forum.

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...-part-1-a.html

Or post daily on the 24 hour thread in Daily Support forum.

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...art-457-a.html (24 Hour Recovery Connections Part 457)

Any time you feel like drinking, come here and post instead so we can talk you out of it.
Old 10-01-2019, 07:19 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
The opposite of addiction is connection.

I went to the ER and then to a professional detox center and it was among the best decisions I’ve made. Tapering never worked for me, but at detox they bring you down gently with meds. After 7 days I felt like a human again. This last detox was located in a home with comfy furniture, Netflix and good company. Nurses were there 24/7 and doc came in for daily check ins. They prescribed me Naltrexone for cravings and it’s been a game changer.

At a bottle of vodka daily I’d suggest seeing a doc however you do it. Withdrawal can be life threatening.
Old 10-01-2019, 07:26 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I never tried to taper , I do not think I would have been able to do it. You could go to a meeting shaking and baking appearances don’t matter. AA saved me , very hard at first but it got easier..
Pick any program or anyway to get sober, find out what works for YOU. Best of luck , welcome to the journey you will not regret it
Old 10-01-2019, 07:27 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

42 as well Joshua. 8 days alcohol free today. It will get better everyday your not drinking or at least I hope it does for you. Good luck. You can do it.
Old 10-01-2019, 10:28 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Get to AA.
Old 10-02-2019, 02:06 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

When a person decides to stop drinking is there some way he can know before hand if he will actually need such intense medical care?

How about just quitting and seeing what happens and then getting yourself to a hospital on an as needed basis?

What are the actual chances that a person would quit and not notice that he is in grave danger?
Old 10-02-2019, 05:46 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

The problem could be that by the time you notice you are in grave danger it could be too late to get help.
Old 10-02-2019, 06:12 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Cascabel View Post
The problem could be that by the time you notice you are in grave danger it could be too late to get help.
I wondered if that was the case. It just seems like most people I know that quit just stopped drinking. I know lots of people that went to rehab, but rehab isn't in the same category as Emergency Room, and for whatever reason, I thought most of the rehab people didn't actually need expert detox care. That may just be a faulty assumption, but I don't remember anyone talking a lot about horrible detox experiences in AA.