Notices

Where to start?

Old 10-02-2019, 09:54 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Disclaimer for Dee, in my unprofessional opinion, those who end up in actual grave danger are very rare for the most par. IMO it's cautionary and rehab also prevents you from resorting to drinking should you have terrible anxiety in detox.

I've detoxed at home a couple times and it was miserable. I put myself in rehab last time and I'm grateful. Did I need it? No. But it made it much more tolerable, not to mention I got to speak to people that helped me in greater ways than just soothing the anxiety. The contacts and information I got there, when I had failed to find suitable help on my own, was far more valuable.
Old 10-02-2019, 10:48 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I just scheduled an appointment with an addiction psychologist. Thats going to have to be step one for me. Thank you all for your advice and support.
Old 10-02-2019, 01:20 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by joshuatreee View Post
I'm about to turn 42 and its time to stop. A bottle of vodka a night is where I'm finally at after years of progression from what used to seem fun. I haven't been to a doctor in years and know that should be stop one. May seem like a silly question but what type of doc should I see? Are there doctors that specialize in treatment? I've also located an AA group within a quick walk from my house so will be reaching out to them but I will need to get the initial withdrawal done before I would be comfortable going to a meting. Thanks. This is a fantastic website and forum
This is great news, Josh.

I would start with a general practitioner and also make an appointment with a psychiatrist.

Seeking professional treatment was imperative for me.

Similarly, going to AA and working the 12 steps and reading its literature have all been necessary for the maintenance of my sobriety.

You have certainly come to the right place for love, support and guidance with your sobriety journey.

I wouldn't trade my sobriety for anything.
Old 10-02-2019, 01:34 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

46 years old here 9 months sober.I wish I would have stopped at 42. Stop now, go to AA now.

I’m not a huge AA guy, but it got me sober when I needed to. This site is great too, but there’s just something about putting yourself face to face in front of people who get what you’re through.

You need all the support necessary when going through withdrawals so that’s the place to be.

I was right there with you at a bottle to a bottle and a half of vodka a day. My progression started to accelerate rapidly so I’d easily be at two a day by now.

My life is a polar opposite of what it was just months ago and it all started with the first step. You got this.

SC
Old 10-02-2019, 01:50 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SuficintCrlsns View Post
46 years old here 9 months sober.I wish I would have stopped at 42. Stop now, go to AA now.

I’m not a huge AA guy, but it got me sober when I needed to. This site is great too, but there’s just something about putting yourself face to face in front of people who get what you’re through.

You need all the support necessary when going through withdrawals so that’s the place to be.

I was right there with you at a bottle to a bottle and a half of vodka a day. My progression started to accelerate rapidly so I’d easily be at two a day by now.

My life is a polar opposite of what it was just months ago and it all started with the first step. You got this.

SC

There you go. There's your blueprint, written with experience, strength, and hope. (By a vodka drinker no less!!)
Old 10-02-2019, 03:38 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hows it going so far joshuatree?

D
Old 10-02-2019, 05:02 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Hows it going so far joshuatree?

D
In terms of being sober, that has not started yet. I did make an appointment with a psych doc for next week. I have a lot of baggage to drop on him and assume we can come up with a plan to get off the poison. I also let the drinking buddies know I am done with this **** and filled my family in on my game plan. I have tried the cold turkey method before and made it work a while. I havent wanted to drink regularly for a long time. I need to work on the underlying issues this time around and make this a permanent thing
Old 10-02-2019, 05:06 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Administrator

my experience was I always thought I had to deal with my underlying issues to stay sober but in fact it turned out getting sober finally helped me deal with my underlying issues.

Not trying to pressure you but you might be surprised at how many sober days you can rack up even before you start dealing with 'stuff'

why not check out our Class of October 2019 support thread? all you need to do to join is post in it

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...art-1-a-2.html

D
Old 10-02-2019, 05:21 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Dee - I know and agree. Quitting now would eliminate a lot of stress but I also think that a medically supervised detox is what I need in order to make it a PERMANENT one. I honestly don't want to drink anymore. I no longer have any desire to. I want and envision this time being a truely life changing experience. I have a lot at stake and want to make it right. It's not some BS game for me anymore.
Old 10-02-2019, 05:22 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

And .. I will be in that October class thread real soon. Thanks for the support
Old 10-02-2019, 05:28 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by joshuatreee View Post
Dee - I know and agree. Quitting now would eliminate a lot of stress but I also think that a medically supervised detox is what I need in order to make it a PERMANENT one.
drinking a bottle of vodka a day,PLEASE dont stop cold turkey. ive seen more than one person go into a seizure doing that. one of them ended up dieing.
youre very wise to want to do a medical detox.
Old 10-02-2019, 06:03 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Administrator

Toms right - I missed the bottle of vodka a day bit in the earlier post.

That makes it all the more important tho to get professional help quickly and detox safely.
An appointment next week is good but an earlier one would be even better.

I've seen lives unravel completely in a couple of weeks.

D
Old 10-02-2019, 06:03 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tomsteve View Post
drinking a bottle of vodka a day,PLEASE dont stop cold turkey. ive seen more than one person go into a seizure doing that. one of them ended up dieing.
youre very wise to want to do a medical detox.
No, it's not in the cards this time. I will be leaning on everyone's advice here and in meetings after the initial detox but no way I suffer through the first week again. Thank you for the advice
Old 10-02-2019, 06:05 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Toms right - I missed the bottle of vodka a day bit in the earlier post.

That makes it all the more important tho to get professional help quickly and detox safely.
An appointment next week is good but an earlier one would be even better.

I've seen lives unravel completely in a couple of weeks.

D
Thanks for the reassurance Dee
Old 10-02-2019, 06:42 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Hi Joshuatree - welcome to the forum.

Originally Posted by Cascabel View Post
The problem could be that by the time you notice you are in grave danger it could be too late to get help.
Yes, after many attempts to moderate I was absolutely determined to quit and so I set a Day One (as I had done many times before). I got through this with moderate withdrawals then on Day 3 had a serious seizure which came on completely without warning.

From my own experience, at 'a bottle of vodka a day' levels a medical detox is the safest option. Do see a doctor or qualified alcohol professional before attempting anything drastic.

Stay close and good luck.
Old 10-02-2019, 07:06 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Thank Forwards .. Yes of course, it's pretty obvious to ,e at this point
Old 10-02-2019, 07:08 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

my experience was I always thought I had to deal with my underlying issues to stay sober but in fact it turned out getting sober finally helped me deal with my underlying issues.

Not trying to pressure you but you might be surprised at how many sober days you can rack up even before you start dealing with 'stuff'
D
That is exactly the way I experienced it. I didn't plan it that way, in fact my original plan was to understand "why" so that I could quit, but it didn't work. So I just quit (not my usual problem solving approach), and when I quit, I eventually understood the "why" about my drinking. I also started understanding a lot of other things after I quit. Sometimes I say it was because I had a clearer head to think with, but it may be more complex than that.

To me, quitting is the first thing that needs to be done.