Notices

Reaching out

Old 10-02-2019, 01:45 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Reaching out

Hello! I'm new here and this is officially the first time I've joined any online forum. Wow! I'm posting something! I'm on day 1 of not drinking. I'm realizing that I need to reach out for some support. My own plans and personal contracts to quit drinking don't seem to be working very well (or for more than a couple of months.) I'm ready to be done for good.
Old 10-02-2019, 01:55 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Well, hello and welcome to posting. You've found a great spot for support, so I hope you stick around. Lots of good advice and experience here.
Personally, I had to get help from others, too. I chose AA, but there are other programs, too.
I also leaned heavily on this site.

So, welcome again. And best to you.
Old 10-02-2019, 01:58 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family DapperCat! So glad you joined us. You'll find lots of support and good advice here.
Old 10-02-2019, 02:01 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
not a greeter

Hi and welcome . Take some time to read around the board. There are lots of threads on lots of topics. You can use the search to look for something or of course, you can start your own thread. Also... joining a class is helpful too. Hopefully someone posts the link to the October class for you. Glad you found us!

Class of October link: https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...-part-1-a.html

Last edited by gypsytears; 10-02-2019 at 02:10 PM. Reason: to add link
Old 10-02-2019, 02:02 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome dappercat! This forum was my main resource in giving up alcohol. It's always a wise and brave move to seek help from others. This is certainly not an easy thing to do by ourselves!
Old 10-02-2019, 02:05 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome DC. SR is a safe and welcoming community. There is a lot of info in the newcomer's forum sticky's on making a recovery plan and other stuff. Meetings are a good idea, seeing a doc for a checkup, journal writing, walking- lots of stuff to do. Keep posting- join some newcomer threads- like Class of October '19? I am in the C/O March '16 and post there regularly and I have made friends there.
Support to you
Old 10-02-2019, 02:07 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hello and welcome, Dappercat 😊. Congratulations on your brilliant decision to stop drinking!
Old 10-02-2019, 02:07 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Dappercat and Welcome!

I hope SR will be a very helpful part of your recovery.
Old 10-02-2019, 02:11 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

Welcome to SR!
So glad you found us and posted your very first post!
You should be proud of yourself for taking a huge and important step in your life!
You are now a part of a very supportive family so make yourself at home! You will find unconditional love and acceptance!
Keep posting!
Old 10-02-2019, 02:20 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, dappercat!
Old 10-02-2019, 02:21 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks for all the welcoming messages! I surprised myself when I burst into tears while reading them. Must be a powerful thing to put things out in the open. I've never spoken with anyone but a therapist and my husband about my struggles with drinking. Glad I decided to be brave and join!
Old 10-02-2019, 02:35 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I'm glad you joined, too. When I realized I am an alcoholic, I, too, broke out in tears.
How could this have happened to me? Easy. I drank too much too close together for too long. But it was a long process. I started drinking at fourteen and quit for good (I hope) at forty nine. That's a long time, and I drank alcoholically from the first drink. And would for all those years.

It's been ten years nine months sober for me now.
And as it took me a while to become a full-blown alcoholic, it took me a long time to quit for good.
But I never stopped trying. I never gave up and after years of struggle, here I am.

You can do it too. Remember, you never have to drink again.
One day at a time.
Old 10-02-2019, 04:10 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

I was a bit teary when I joined too dappercat - I'm glad to have you here with us!

D
Old 10-02-2019, 06:00 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

the best years of your life lie before you, dappercat.
Old 10-02-2019, 07:23 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dappercat View Post
My own plans and personal contracts to quit drinking don't seem to be working very well (or for more than a couple of months.) I'm ready to be done for good.
I assume this means a couple months of sobriety is the best you could do.

When I got to a point where I wanted to quit, I also tried it on my own. Most of us probably do. I could never make it past day three, and I was trying to do it on my own for a couple of years. It was actually probably longer if you count the years I spent on not drinking so much. I understand most people quit on their own, but you never hear from them and they can't help us, because they are on their own.

Fortunately for us who need the help, groups like SR that involve people who aren't on their own, make sharing available. For whatever reason, I just wasn't a do it your selfer. When I engaged with others, it was suddenly easy for me to quit.
Old 10-02-2019, 09:38 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR
You are very brave for reaching out, it can be frightening to share our deep, dark, drinking secrets. This site has been a major component on my sober journey, I know it can help you too.
Bless you on the road to health and happiness!