Notices

Anyone responsibly taken Phenibut?

Old 07-17-2019, 07:06 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Anyone responsibly taken Phenibut?

I have been researching this all night.

My anxiety is so bad...that my anxiety pills I have been taking for over 14 years just don't help for more than 2 hours at a time.

I have read taken "responsibly" this supplement (nootropic) can be amazing for people with anxiety.

I drank alcohol for over 30 years because it initially helped with my anxiety and I was so desperate for relief from my anxiety and I knew I would have more anxiety when I stopped drinking...but my need for relief from this anxiety kept me drinking.

I have never been a "drug abuser" but I am afraid if this really takes away my anxiety I am going to want this daily and the suggestion is not to take it more than 2x a week.

Just wondering if anyone here has tried it?
I'm 23 days sober...don't want to drink.

Anxiety is going to kill me thou.
Old 07-17-2019, 07:26 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Sometimes over time we change and our meds are no longer as effective.

I think you'd be better conferring with your Dr.
Phenibut might not even be suitable for you, y'know?

If you're not happy with your current doctor for any reason you can always get a second opinion

D
Old 07-17-2019, 08:12 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Are your current meds not working because of tolerance or because you may need to try a new med?

I have no experience with Phenibut.
Old 07-18-2019, 05:24 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by entropy1964 View Post
Are your current meds not working because of tolerance or because you may need to try a new med?

I have no experience with Phenibut.
Hi entropy...my current meds work..but only for an hour....or two..depending how bad I have let the anxiety get before I take the med.

I was reading and watching videos on phenibut..most people use this drug to get really messed up...but I watched a couple videos from Doctors and in Russia it is given to treat anxiety as a controlled substance...the clinical data says it works on the brain like benzos (my current med) and a small dose takes away anxiety for more than a DAY.....

I'm afraid to take it because apparently it is really strong but if it works for me it could be literally a life saver...It is legal to buy in the US....but has addiction and abuse potential....

I'm thinking that because I was never "drug" taker...that I wont abuse it...but I do have a healthy fear of it...I ordered 250mg tabs....the idiots on line that were raving about how great and drunk it made them feel....are taking upwards of 2000mg a day.
Old 07-18-2019, 05:32 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I realise it may be an unpopular opinion but I'll say it anyway...buying meds online is a risky business.

Not even talking legality or quality...No matter how much research we can do on Google, we lack the outside perspective that a doctor can give us (and well as the expert experience and knowledge of drug interactions, clinical history etc).

According to wikipedia Phenibut is basically not approved or available as a medication in the European Union, the United States, or Australia. Its not FDA approved.

I'd be scared to use it too. I'm scared for you to use it.

[ think if you really want to deal with your anxiety effectively you need some expert input Missy.

D
Old 07-18-2019, 05:36 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I was a lot like you Misssy in that much of my drinking was an attempt to help/self-medicate my anxiety. It was only after I stopped drinking that I finally realized the anxiety was there and sought the proper treatment for it.

I have been seeking help for my anxiety via therapy for about 4 years now and i've also tried a couple of meds. In my personal opinion, anxiety meds really only helped treat the symptoms of my anxiety - not the causes. One of the meds I tried made things worse, and the other did help me get "over the hump" so to speak. But in the end, the things that have given me lasting relief is the things I've learned in counseling. Mindfulness and meditation, exercise, cutting back/eliminating stimulants ( caffeine, sugar ), getting enough sleep, and of course counseling. I only see my counselor every month or so now, but I still feel it's important to do so and make sure i'm on track.

I desperately wanted a pill that would just make it all go away too, but unfortunately i don't think one exists. Meds can surely help - but they are part of a larger strategy.
Old 07-18-2019, 05:37 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Missy,

just my 2 cents but this feels like a bad idea to me without consulting a medical professional. These drugs can be highly addicting and while not everyone has that experience I feel like it’s not worth risking. Tons of people sub meds like these when they stop drinking.

I thibk you should consult a doctor or see a psychiatrist. You can try diff meds and doses while under medical supervision.

Also did you order these online? That also scares me because you have no idea what you’re getting. I would just hate for something to happen to you. Anxiety is bad, but maybe there’s another med out there that can help after talking to a doctor or psych?
Old 07-18-2019, 05:40 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I realise it may be an unpopular opinion but I'll say it anyway...buying meds online is a risky business.

Not even talking legality or quality...No matter how much research we can do on Google, we lack the outside perspective that a doctor can give us (and well as the expert experience and knowledge of drug interactions, clinical history etc).

I think if you really want to deal with your anxiety effectively you need some expert input Missy.

D
Hi Dee! the problem is I have HAD expert input...they WONT give me more of the benzo that helps me because they are AFRAID of losing their license if I decide to drink alcohol and take the pills.

No matter how many times I tell my Drs I do NOT take pills when drinking...they still won't give me more....My pdocs answer is...if you are not taking them when you are drinking than you have more for detox and hard times.....

Phenibut is not like buying "Ativan" on line from a foreign country.

I can go to the health food store about 5 miles from my house and buy it...it is a legit supplement for "cognitive improvement" and helps with people that work out....for some reason...helps with sleep and anxiety...

I just don't have time to go to the health food store so I ordered it from a health food store on line.

I was thinking of going and telling my Dr TODAY that I am so desperate to stop this anxiety that I am going to get some Phenibut but then she would really be worried and stop my benzo.

So..my thought process is...possibly when i have more sobriety under my belt and the antidepressent starts working...my anxiety won't be AS bad..but in the meantime..anxiety is really impacting my life....and that is why I kept drinking.....So I'm trying one of these pills...they are legal in US and like I said...right down the street from me.

Its equal to taking like a Melatonin or a Ginko....its that kind of drug.
Old 07-18-2019, 05:42 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Its a cold and its a broken hallelujah.

Yeah, that would be a "No" for me dawg.

I am a lifelong member of the General Anxiety Disorder club.
And drinking made it exponentially worse.

I, too, took benzos (xanax) twice daily for years and years and years.

After adopting a strict ketogenic lifestyle and stopping all other substances (marijuana, nicotine) I swear to you, I havent taken a single benzo in 3 weeks.

Not one. ZERO.

Its like my lifelong anxiety is just suddenly.....gone.
Old 07-18-2019, 05:46 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
I was a lot like you Misssy in that much of my drinking was an attempt to help/self-medicate my anxiety. It was only after I stopped drinking that I finally realized the anxiety was there and sought the proper treatment for it.

I have been seeking help for my anxiety via therapy for about 4 years now and i've also tried a couple of meds. In my personal opinion, anxiety meds really only helped treat the symptoms of my anxiety - not the causes. One of the meds I tried made things worse, and the other did help me get "over the hump" so to speak. But in the end, the things that have given me lasting relief is the things I've learned in counseling. Mindfulness and meditation, exercise, cutting back/eliminating stimulants ( caffeine, sugar ), getting enough sleep, and of course counseling. I only see my counselor every month or so now, but I still feel it's important to do so and make sure i'm on track.

I desperately wanted a pill that would just make it all go away too, but unfortunately i don't think one exists. Meds can surely help - but they are part of a larger strategy.
I have Frontal Temporal Dementia...the parts of my brain that control anxiety are not functioning per my Neurologist....My Neurologist said that "maybe we can give you a little something more for the anxiety" and she know I drink....

She looked in my chart and saw the benzo....BUT it is recorded more...I looked at my medical records for her and they say I take 3 grams a day of a benzo...I take 1.5.....

I also have an appointment with her....and I'm going to tell her my benzo intake is incorrect on her charts...and I know many people with dementia are prescribed Klonipin for sleep...that may help....but it is confusing because i have a pdoc...so maybe I can get those two to talk.

ONLY BENZOS work on me...and benzos are hard for the Drs to prescribe to me because of alcohol...I get it...but I really do need them.
And the underlying cause is my BRAIN...lol
Old 07-18-2019, 05:49 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by alphaomega View Post
Yeah, that would be a "No" for me dawg.

I am a lifelong member of the General Anxiety Disorder club.
And drinking made it exponentially worse.

I, too, took benzos (xanax) twice daily for years and years and years.

After adopting a strict ketogenic lifestyle and stopping all other substances (marijuana, nicotine) I swear to you, I havent taken a single benzo in 3 weeks.

Not one. ZERO.

Its like my lifelong anxiety is just suddenly.....gone.
That is really amazing ...and hopeful...for others...but my brain is not "right" with dementia and if you know anything about dementia anxiety is a big factor because that center of the brain does not operate properly...

I was sober 8 YEARS and didn't smoke cigs....and that is when they put me on the benzo for my anxiety...prior to knowing I had dementia.
Old 07-18-2019, 05:53 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

And Dee...I would like you to remove this post because I really just wanted to know if anyone tried this RESPONSIBLY and if it helped...as I said it is a supplement that CAN BE USED repsonsibly..

But since there is a high addiction/abuse potential for people who have "addiction" problems...I'm NOT trying to hurt anyone or give anyone ...any ideas.

I strictly want to try this in a very small dose to see if it helps me until I get further in my sobriety and have more conversations with my Drs.

Its turning into a post of what everyone thinks is responsible....etc....that is not what i asked...I know people want to help....Want to help? Send me some benzos..LOL...(joking)

Thank you!
Old 07-18-2019, 06:02 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Its a cold and its a broken hallelujah.

Originally Posted by Misssy2 View Post
And Dee...I would like you to remove this post because I really just wanted to know if anyone tried this RESPONSIBLY and if it helped...as I said it is a supplement that CAN BE USED repsonsibly..

But since there is a high addiction/abuse potential for people who have "addiction" problems...I'm NOT trying to hurt anyone or give anyone ...any ideas.

I strictly want to try this in a very small dose to see if it helps me until I get further in my sobriety and have more conversations with my Drs.

Its turning into a post of what everyone thinks is responsible....etc....that is not what i asked...I know people want to help....Want to help? Send me some benzos..LOL...(joking)

Thank you!
Do some research on High Fat/ Low carb diets helping dementia. MCT oil (basically coconut oil) is truly helping so many.

https://universityhealthnews.com/dai...mentia-stages/

They are calling Alzheimers Type 3 diabetes now.

I really hope you get some relief. I understand how awful anxiety can be.

Old 07-18-2019, 06:27 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by alphaomega View Post
Do some research on High Fat/ Low carb diets helping dementia. MCT oil (basically coconut oil) is truly helping so many.

https://universityhealthnews.com/dai...mentia-stages/

They are calling Alzheimers Type 3 diabetes now.

I really hope you get some relief. I understand how awful anxiety can be.

Love the idea of the high fat diet...and coconut oil you are correct is so good for so many things!
Old 07-18-2019, 03:25 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thank you!
Hi Missy
No need to remove the post or the thread
Our Russian members may indeed have personal experience.

I meant what I said when I said I was worried for you - but you have the right to do whatever you want.

Just as an endnote - I've suffered anxiety all my life - sometimes so bad I could not leave the house so I do empathise greatly with you.

I did not go the meds route. It's taken me years, and a lot of work, to get to a point where I don't feel my anxiety is crippling anymore.

I'm not expecting anyone not to use meds just because I didn't - but
I think there must be other alternatives out there besides benzos on the one hand and possibly dodgy Russian meds on the other.

It make be a long search but I think you're worth that effort

D
Old 07-18-2019, 04:11 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

This does not sound like a good idea in my opinion. Just respectfully weighing in.
Old 07-18-2019, 05:34 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I have a lot of experience with phenibut, it can easily be abused as tolerance builds up. I started with 3 grams once a week. Fast forward a year I would take 11 grams almost everyday. Started feeling really weird when not on it. This one time was really scary, I was walking down the street and started feeling crippling anxiety and dizziness. I came really close to lying down on the sidewalk and waiting for cops to come help me. It was reallllly scary.

So i stopped taking it and couldnt sleep at all for 9 days!!!! Yes 9. So if you can responsibly take 3-4 grams once a week at the most its ok. I would take it before interviews, but if youre here you probably have a history of abuse/addiction. be careful
Old 07-18-2019, 06:53 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone..I think I will be ok..never had a DRUG problem...

I bought Ashwaganda the other day...similar type of drug...I did not like the effects..the only effect i am looking for is lessened anxiety and MORE sleep.

Dee...my anxiety...(leaving the house is not an issue) my anxiety makes me feel like I am on freaking SPEED all the time...I can't sit still, my heart races, I get exhausted by myself talking so much, my blood pressure goes up...I'm going to have a freaking stroke..

So this medication to me is like Gingko, L-Theanine, Melatonin, Passion Flower, Valerian, Lemon Balm....etc...I have tried them all I kind of like the effects of the L-Theanine....but all the rest were a flop...

I'm looking for a MILD but TRUE RELIEF from this anxiety..Phenibut seems to promise that.

Someone said not to take more than 1-2g....I'm not even going to get that close....

When I get it in the mail...that night I am taking 250mg....at 5pm....and see how it makes me feel...knowing it builds in my system...if I like it....I won't take it the next night....I will take my benzo.

I am looking for the euphoric relief from the anxiety that I have that I have read about and researched....they give it to children age of 3 in Russia.....SO...it can't be that dangerous.

I'm not going to abuse it...and if I do....SR will be the first to know...
I'm just not one to LIKE pills...I just want relief...please.
Old 07-19-2019, 06:00 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
~sb

If it were that safe, I think we'd all hear about it by now.

Although it's been around since1960, scientists are still just understanding how it works. It CAN interfere with other meds, including benzo's----please work with your doctor
Old 07-19-2019, 06:56 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

I sympathize with your suffering, but for caution's sake I had to post.

I think I will be ok..never had a DRUG problem...
What's alcohol then? And what's drinking to relieve anxiety if not self medicating with a drug?

You are going to do what you are going to do. I hope you avoid the potential risks.