Notices

The doctor lied to me

Old 04-25-2018, 09:53 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The doctor lied to me

Hi. I'm a 33 year old female currently trying to get sober from abusing prescription pain medication. I was prescribed the tramadol about five years ago for legitimate pain relief. When I expressed my concern to my doctor about not wanting anything addictive because I was 4 years sober from abusing xanax and never wanted to go down that road again, he told me that tramadol isn't addictive and I should be fine. Imagine my surprise when I became addicted again and totally flushed those 4 years of sobriety down the toilet. I have been wanting to kick it in the past but have been unsuccessful. I was ashamed of myself and hid things and lied all the time to the people that I love. But I've hit rock bottom and I know that if I don't stop now, I will lose everything that is important to me in my life. This isn't going to be easy, I know. But I believe in myself and I know I will beat this evil drug once and for all.
Old 04-25-2018, 10:05 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Welcome to SR bash. Most people don't really understand addiction fully, even doctors. I'm glad you have decided to kick the addiction and the drugs to the curb, that's a choice you have the power to make regardless of how you got here. You'll find a lot of support and understanding here, hope you can stick around and learn/share with us.
Old 04-25-2018, 10:13 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome!

Most doctors have little or no education regarding addiction. I'm glad that you are ready to do this!
Old 04-25-2018, 10:36 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm surprised they would be prescribing a pain med for 5 years. I would see another doctor or perhaps an addiction center to see what you can do to get off of them.
Old 04-25-2018, 10:42 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome!

I was prescribed that after surgery last year and actually got the amazing sideaffect (sarcasm) of tennitus , a constant ringing in my ears. I hope you get off and stay off so that doesnt happen to you!
Old 04-25-2018, 11:04 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Forward12 View Post
I'm surprised they would be prescribing a pain med for 5 years..
Distant friend of mine has been prescribed Oxy for well over 8yrs,along with xanax,ect...basically a walking zombie for the last 8yrs,thus the 'distant friend' part. I talked to hima month ago and he had 'failed' his drug screen,so they cut him off completely(thank god!)..A lot of Docs get kickbacks from big pharma. They are 'legal drug dealers'..ever hear the macklemore song "drug dealer"..video is pretty intense: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYN14UfO-Uc
Old 04-25-2018, 11:06 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Rar

Hi Bash. Welcome to SR. I was prescribed Percocet after my shoulder surgery last year. I was drinking and taking the drug. I could see at the time how easy it would be to become addicted to one of those narcotics. I'm glad you've decided to get off of them. SR is a wonderful place. Stay close and let us know how you're doing.
Old 04-25-2018, 11:17 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I was also prescribed Norco 10's a few years ago(6?) and would take them as prescribed(maybe double the dosage if my back/knee was really hurting and I HAD to work that day)..I'm also prescribed xanax for anxiety and only take them on an 'as needed' basis..about 6 months ago I was told I had to "pick one" due to the huge crackdown going on now on opioids..So, I stick with aleve for my pain(s).
Old 04-25-2018, 04:07 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry for what brings you here Bash, but I'm glad you found us - it's a great place for support & understanding

personally I don't believe you 'flushed away' years of sobriety - everything you learned and achieved is still there - you can use it to defeat addiction once again

D
Old 04-25-2018, 05:07 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I mowed through 100 tramadols in a very short space of time.... in saying that, I don't think they were addictive per se.

The itchy leg syndrome associated was enough to make it a once off.
Old 04-25-2018, 06:43 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

You will beat this again. I am so sorry you have to go through this.

As an aside, I take toridol for migraines, makes me a chatty Cathy but it is non narcotic.

No chance your doc hand wrote the script and pharmacist read it wrong? Although you would think at some point they would figure it out... my doc always pulls out her book to double check everything.
Old 04-26-2018, 02:40 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Rar

How are you feeling today Bash?

Years ago when I first signed on with my new primary physician in NY, I had to sign something saying I would only allow my primary care Dr or his designates to prescribe controlled substances for me. When I had my shoulder surgery in Florida and was prescribed Percocet for pain, I called the NY office to inform. I'm not sure, but I've often thought with this opioid epidemic out there, that there might be a national data base of prescriptions and users.
Old 06-06-2018, 07:40 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bash View Post
Hi. I'm a 33 year old female currently trying to get sober from abusing prescription pain medication. I was prescribed the tramadol about five years ago for legitimate pain relief. When I expressed my concern to my doctor about not wanting anything addictive because I was 4 years sober from abusing xanax and never wanted to go down that road again, he told me that tramadol isn't addictive and I should be fine. Imagine my surprise when I became addicted again and totally flushed those 4 years of sobriety down the toilet. I have been wanting to kick it in the past but have been unsuccessful. I was ashamed of myself and hid things and lied all the time to the people that I love. But I've hit rock bottom and I know that if I don't stop now, I will lose everything that is important to me in my life. This isn't going to be easy, I know. But I believe in myself and I know I will beat this evil drug once and for all.

You can do this. I was addicted to this drug for 8 years for back pain. Its a worse drug than people realize. Thats why the schedule was changed in 2014.
Tramadol works on opioid receptors( and serotonin–norepinephrine ). Getting off of it can lead to horrible depression, along with other things.
I had been taking Vicodin before this and when I became worried about the addiction potential and yes, availability of Vicodin and I was put on Tramadol....for 8 years because I could. not. stop.
In June of 2016, I got into it with my doctor. I was crying because she ( after 8 years, hello) was starting to question my need for it. I reminded her how long I had been on it- she reminded me of the schedule change and her only help was she was happy to refer me to a psychiatrist. Wow.
I was so upset and pissed off that day that I went home and thats when I started my taper off of Tramadol ( and the benzos she gave me because Id be damned if I was going to ask her for anything ever again). I took my last quarter of a Tramadol July 23 2016- and last bit of a Xanax July 24th 2016.
Looking back, I should have got some help, and Im not suggesting anyone do what I did. - I went into such a depression, body aches, just sick. It took months.
So, what I am telling you is- you can do it. I will never believe that Tramadol is not addictive.
Wishing you well- hope youre doing ok.
Old 06-14-2018, 09:27 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Wombling Free

I can buy Tramol from my chemist...as much as I like. I think that because I am not drinking I am taking it just for the effect which negates my sobriety really. I am gonna have to stop taking it, but have only been on it for 10 days, but even that can cause me cravings for it if I don't take it.

I was addicted to Pethadine, I was able to con my doctor into giving me a shot weekly at one point, then monthly, but when I was in hospital recently and they gave it to me it did not work to relieve my pain, I have become tolerant to it which is a great worry. If I got something life threatening like cancer there would be no pain relief , morphine is exactly the same and does not work for me either, I royally clusterf*cked myself up.
Old 06-14-2018, 09:54 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Womble View Post
I can buy Tramol from my chemist...as much as I like. I think that because I am not drinking I am taking it just for the effect which negates my sobriety really. I am gonna have to stop taking it, but have only been on it for 10 days, but even that can cause me cravings for it if I don't take it.

I was addicted to Pethadine, I was able to con my doctor into giving me a shot weekly at one point, then monthly, but when I was in hospital recently and they gave it to me it did not work to relieve my pain, I have become tolerant to it which is a great worry. If I got something life threatening like cancer there would be no pain relief , morphine is exactly the same and does not work for me either, I royally clusterf*cked myself up.
For me, i could not call myself clean and sober unless i was off everything, including Tramadol because of the high it gave me. It's not easy quitting anything, and ive jumped from one thing to the next in the past. You'll be surprised how resilient your body is when you're off everything...but it takes time.