View Single Post
Old 06-06-2018, 07:40 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Liebe

Originally Posted by bash View Post
Hi. I'm a 33 year old female currently trying to get sober from abusing prescription pain medication. I was prescribed the tramadol about five years ago for legitimate pain relief. When I expressed my concern to my doctor about not wanting anything addictive because I was 4 years sober from abusing xanax and never wanted to go down that road again, he told me that tramadol isn't addictive and I should be fine. Imagine my surprise when I became addicted again and totally flushed those 4 years of sobriety down the toilet. I have been wanting to kick it in the past but have been unsuccessful. I was ashamed of myself and hid things and lied all the time to the people that I love. But I've hit rock bottom and I know that if I don't stop now, I will lose everything that is important to me in my life. This isn't going to be easy, I know. But I believe in myself and I know I will beat this evil drug once and for all.

You can do this. I was addicted to this drug for 8 years for back pain. Its a worse drug than people realize. Thats why the schedule was changed in 2014.
Tramadol works on opioid receptors( and serotonin–norepinephrine ). Getting off of it can lead to horrible depression, along with other things.
I had been taking Vicodin before this and when I became worried about the addiction potential and yes, availability of Vicodin and I was put on Tramadol....for 8 years because I could. not. stop.
In June of 2016, I got into it with my doctor. I was crying because she ( after 8 years, hello) was starting to question my need for it. I reminded her how long I had been on it- she reminded me of the schedule change and her only help was she was happy to refer me to a psychiatrist. Wow.
I was so upset and pissed off that day that I went home and thats when I started my taper off of Tramadol ( and the benzos she gave me because Id be damned if I was going to ask her for anything ever again). I took my last quarter of a Tramadol July 23 2016- and last bit of a Xanax July 24th 2016.
Looking back, I should have got some help, and Im not suggesting anyone do what I did. - I went into such a depression, body aches, just sick. It took months.
So, what I am telling you is- you can do it. I will never believe that Tramadol is not addictive.
Wishing you well- hope youre doing ok.