Notices

Socializing, friendships, marriage - and alcohol

Old 04-08-2018, 05:37 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Socializing, friendships, marriage - and alcohol

Just one month over two years of sobriety and after a very challenging vacation last week where I was the only adult non drinker, I feel low today as I contemplate spending the rest of my life as a sober person amidst drinkers.

H is hitting the vodka today at home. He also spent the day prepping the corner of our backyard for an outside fireplace, and told me he wants to have all our (drinking) neighbors over. I guess he had a great time last week and wants to keep the party going.

Now he had been a two/three beers a night guy, with liquor here and there, although I suspect he hides some of his drinking.

I felt dread suffuse my insides at the prospect of playing hostess to a bunch of drinking folks, esp. as an empty nester.

How can I navigate this? How can I not plunge into a sort of judgemental, cold person? I feel repulsed by people now when they are drinking/drunk. How can I be social?

I feel....trapped. Scared. Out of control of my home environment. Tips from you sober ppl married to drinkers?
Old 04-08-2018, 05:44 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Is this the kind of life you got sober for? Can't help thinking you are getting a second rate deal.
Old 04-08-2018, 05:50 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
MrBrad

Well, there are the kinds of people that just drink and then there are the kinds of people that take it too far and become annoying with excessive alcohol intake. I would hope that your neighbors are the kind that are not that annoying when they drink.

Anyways, alcohol consumption is just a part of life for many people. They enjoy life with the juice. It's best just to let them go and do what they are going to do. Since I no longer have a desire to drink, these drinkers don't bother me.
Old 04-08-2018, 05:59 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

My first attempt at sobriety I came home one day to a wife that wanted a glass of wine. I almost thought it was offensive that I was trying to quit and she was going to do it in front of me. Then I realized that it's a part of most people's life. Just because it's a problem for me doesn't mean it's a problem for other people. And it's also not my place to put my problems on them and expect them Not to have a drink. You can also try talking to your husband and explaining to him how you feel.
Old 04-08-2018, 06:19 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Onmyhighway View Post
My first attempt at sobriety I came home one day to a wife that wanted a glass of wine. I almost thought it was offensive that I was trying to quit and she was going to do it in front of me. Then I realized that it's a part of most people's life. Just because it's a problem for me doesn't mean it's a problem for other people. And it's also not my place to put my problems on them and expect them Not to have a drink. You can also try talking to your husband and explaining to him how you feel.
Oh I have. Believe me. He has told me he’s proud of me, yet last week, he called my sobriety a “burden” on him and everyone else on vacation.

I think he probably misses drunk madgirl to a certain extent, because I was much more obviously sick and it took some pressure off of him - also, he liked me drinking in these social settings.

But - drunks are OBNOXIOUS. Loud, laughing at things which aren’t funny, unpredictable, etc. I don’t enjoy being around it.
Old 04-08-2018, 06:20 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I’ve read both of your posts now and can’t help but think back to the time when I was getting sober and my husband was still drinking excessively . I know that there are people out there who can tolerate that type of relationship but it did not work for me and it sounds like it’s just not working for you either. You say you don’t want to judge but you are judging him and the drunk neighbors and that’s okay. But it feels like the only way to move forward is to either accept this situation (husbands drinking problem and all) or decide that you aren’t going to accept it. I know I couldn’t do it. I couldn’t for the life of me work so hard to stay sober while watching my husband drink himself silly right before my eyes and I certainly wouldn’t be interested in hanging out with a bunch of drunk people. . It just didn’t align with who I was anymore and I can hear that same persistent nagging in your words. This is not your idea of fulfilling- am I right?

Let me ask you this- do you love your husband enough to stay with him despite his drinking and the fact that it is still a big part of who he is and how he enjoys his free time? Are you able to accept this part of him without judgment? Are there sober things you do together? If he was away for two weeks and you could spend your time with friends, how would you spend it? Do you guys have non drinking friends you hang out with and entertain as well as the people he wants to invite over? Maybe there is a way to do both. Again I know there are couples who can make this type of thing work so hopefully one of them will chime in. My husband stopped getting drunk over a year ago. I probably would not have stayed with him otherwise because for me it just did not work anymore. Plus we have two small children which made it all much more complicated.
Old 04-08-2018, 06:22 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bradly22 View Post
Well, there are the kinds of people that just drink and then there are the kinds of people that take it too far and become annoying with excessive alcohol intake. I would hope that your neighbors are the kind that are not that annoying when they drink.

Anyways, alcohol consumption is just a part of life for many people. They enjoy life with the juice. It's best just to let them go and do what they are going to do. Since I no longer have a desire to drink, these drinkers don't bother me.
These neighbors were loud, annoying and even tried to get my 18 yo son to have a drink (he passed on it.) I’d say that is pretty obnoxious - not even ask me? When Ive made it clear that I don’t drink?
Old 04-08-2018, 06:25 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Also I am curious to understand why this is all coming up now after two years of sobriety. What were the first two years like and what did you do to navigate these social events? Were you around drunk people then? Was your husband drinking during those first two years? Why is this so prevalent now? What changed other than becoming empty nesters?
Old 04-08-2018, 06:28 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sunflowerlife View Post
I’ve read both of your posts now and can’t help but think back to the time when I was getting sober and my husband was still drinking excessively . I know that there are people out there who can tolerate that type of relationship but it did not work for me and it sounds like it’s just not working for you either. You say you don’t want to judge but you are judging him and the drunk neighbors and that’s okay. But it feels like the only way to move forward is to either accept this situation (husbands drinking problem and all) or decide that you aren’t going to accept it. I know I couldn’t do it. I couldn’t for the life of me work so hard to stay sober while watching my husband drink himself silly right before my eyes and I certainly wouldn’t be interested in hanging out with a bunch of drunk people. . It just didn’t align with who I was anymore and I can hear that same persistent nagging in your words. This is not your idea of fulfilling- am I right?

Let me ask you this- do you love your husband enough to stay with him despite his drinking and the fact that it is still a big part of who he is and how he enjoys his free time? Are you able to accept this part of him without judgment? Are there sober things you do together? If he was away for two weeks and you could spend your time with friends, how would you spend it? Do you guys have non drinking friends you hang out with and entertain as well as the people he wants to invite over? Maybe there is a way to do both. Again I know there are couples who can make this type of thing work so hopefully one of them will chime in. My husband stopped getting drunk over a year ago. I probably would not have stayed with him otherwise because for me it just did not work anymore. Plus we have two small children which made it all much more complicated.
I know Im judging, and I know I don’t want to do that.

We don’t have any non-drinking friends.

If he were away for two weeks, aside from work I’d pet my dogs, read books, hike, maybe binge watch Harry Potter or Lord of the Rings, listen to music - the exact same things I do while he is here.

I suppose I can live with hosting a few dinner parties here and there, but what is painful is his total disregard for my choice and lack of support.
Old 04-08-2018, 06:31 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Also I am curious to understand why this is all coming up now after two years of sobriety. What were the first two years like and what did you do to navigate these social events? Were you around drunk people then? Was your husband drinking during those first two years? Why is this so prevalent now? What changed other than becoming empty nesters?
We aren’t empty nesters yet, son still lives here at home (high school senior).

Husband has consistently drank, amounts vary but most of the time it was quiet while we hung out in the family room.

I was very open in early sobriety about challenges with husband here on SR.

The one big change is ME. i AM different.

Husband went on canoe trips with his friends, and I have largely avoided any social life in my new sobriety.

Last edited by madgirl; 04-08-2018 at 06:36 PM. Reason: Additional points
Old 04-08-2018, 06:32 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by madgirl View Post
We don’t have any non-drinking friends.
I made some since I stopped drinking.

I find it helpful.
Old 04-08-2018, 06:33 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bradly22 View Post

Are you entertaining them in your home? Are you married to one?
Old 04-08-2018, 06:34 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by daredevil View Post

I find it helpful.
Yes. I need to find some!!!
Old 04-08-2018, 06:38 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by daredevil View Post

I find it helpful.
I totally agree that this is going to help! How nice would it be to invite non drinkers over for dinner?
Old 04-08-2018, 06:40 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I haven't had to deal with anything that obnoxious. I also havent been sober long. The time before this was a couple months and I put myself into situations too be around people drinking. It was actually motivation because I thought to myself that I wouldn't want to act like these people. But in your situation I don't know how I would handle being subjected to that. And I don't have kids but the thought that some one would offer my underage kid a drink without my permission would really upset me, to the point I would not want to associate with them anymore.
Old 04-08-2018, 06:40 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gottalife View Post
Is this the kind of life you got sober for? Can't help thinking you are getting a second rate deal.
I got sober because I wanted inner peace. I knew I would die horribly if I stayed active in my alcoholism.

Up until this point I haven’t thought through what I want out of life -I have just been running away from the old me.
Old 04-08-2018, 06:42 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I totally agree that this is going to help! How nice would it be to invite non drinkers over for dinner?
VERY nice. It sounds wonderful!!!
Old 04-08-2018, 06:42 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

We aren’t empty nesters yet, son still lives here at home (high school senior).

Husband has consistently drank, amounts vary but most of the time it was quiet while we hung out in the family room.

I was very open in early sobriety about challenges with husband here on SR.

The one big change is ME. i AM different.

Husband went on canoe trips with his friends, and I have largely avoided any social life in my new sobriety.
I can relate to that. It must be very hard if you feel different now but life around you isn’t changing. You are the only one who knows what to do here. Your feelings are totally valid and the fact that you aren’t feeling supported by him is most likely causing a lot of this. Is there any chance you would be open to counseling with him to discuss these things?
Old 04-08-2018, 06:46 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I suppose I can live with hosting a few dinner parties here and there, but what is painful is his total disregard for my choice and lack of support.
It sounds like a building resentment to me. I can feel it in your words and until this is addressed nothing is going to get better. My husband was the same way until he stopped drinking as well. It was the worst feeling in the world.
Old 04-08-2018, 06:48 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Personally I would set some boundaries. You don’t like being around people who are drunk so don’t be around. Tell your husband to have a great party without you. You don’t owe an explanation to anyone but if you feel comfortable tell them the truth. That you have stopped drinking and don’t enjoy drinking functions.

I’m sure a few feathers will be ruffled but it is none of my business what others think of me.