Notices

I am freaking out

Old 05-24-2017, 03:38 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I am freaking out

As the title goes I am seriously freaking out right now. I think I made a mistake at work and now I'm afraid I am going to lose my job. I can't lose my job. I just can't.
It's going to be a sleepless night for me. That's the thing about anxiety - the thoughts just never go away.
Old 05-24-2017, 03:42 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

((((Tetra))))

Hope that everything turns out okay at work
Old 05-24-2017, 03:43 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

people make mistakes at work all the time. you are aware of it and tomorrow you can go directly to your manager or superior and let them know what you think happened, and why........
Old 05-24-2017, 03:46 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
under new management

I am sorry you are going through this, Tetra

I have had some epic screw ups at work, over the years. If it is even a tiny bit helpful, imagine 1 year or 5 years from now and what a tiny blip this might be from that vantage point.

I don't know your details and I am not suggesting it isn't a big thing (some of my things were BIG and some not so much) but I know the anxiety when you don't know the outcome yet can be debilitating.

My thoughts are with you, Tetra
Old 05-24-2017, 03:50 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Prayers going up for everything to turn out ok, Tetra. I'm glad you posted about it.
Old 05-24-2017, 04:16 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

You've been doing a great job Tetra
I doubt one mistake would see you fired.

Try not to leap ahead too much.
I reckon everything will be OK

D
Old 05-24-2017, 04:23 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Try not to 'borrow trouble' by projecting worst case scenarios.
Old 05-24-2017, 06:02 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Please let us know how it goes tomorrow, Tetra. We worry.
Old 05-24-2017, 06:16 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

(((Tetra)))...don't freak out and keep yourself from getting a good nights rest. You can't do anything about it tonight, don't waste the energy. Take a hot bath, have some tea and try your best to relax. BREATH!

Hang in there and things will work themselves out tomorrow.
Old 05-24-2017, 07:16 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I doubt you would get fired just hang in there and explain yourself to your boss tomorrow. Prayers for you I'm sure you won't lose your job.

Let us know the outcome.🙂
Old 05-27-2017, 04:07 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I just wanted to update this as a lot of you took the time to reply when I was very close to the edge so to speak, and I am very thankful.

Well as some of you know I work as a PA/medical secretary to a consultant. Pretty much anything that needs doing, he says "let Tetra know". So he handed me a biopsy report 6 weeks ago with a note written "urgent - notes please". That means he wanted the patients hospital chart. I checked the system and saw the patient was an inpatient at that time under a different consultant and I knew I could not get the chart. I put it in my tray and I meant to keep an eye on the situation but it slipped my mind.

So I came across the report this week when I was tidying up a bit and I immediately started to panic. I note the patient has cancer - in two different places I think. What I gathered from the system is that he/she is already having chemo under someone else. But I am not a doctor. What if they had cancer in both places? Would they need two types of chemo? I felt sick at the thought of someone's treatment being delayed 6 weeks because of my sloppiness.

I did speak to my dad (who is not a doctor either) but he did say "you worry too much. There is no way they would give him/her two types of chemo at once time. It is very hard on the system". I spoke to my colleague who just said "if the chart is available just leave it out for him. If anything he will dictate a letter saying something about the delay. To be truthful its not a big deal as everyone who works here has access to lab reports and someone would have picked up on it and been in touch".

So I did fetch the chart and left it on his desk. I had to leave early last Thursday and I did not see him but I saw he came in late in the evening to do paperwork as the file was back on my own desk yesterday morning with a post it saying "Ok, dealt with. Chart back to sort and file".

So you were all perfectly right. I do overthink and jump to the worst possible conclusions, This anxiety is very very hard to deal with. I thought I was coming to grips with it but I still have my ok days and my very bad days.

Anyway thanks again to all of you.
Old 05-27-2017, 04:09 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I'm glad all was well.
Old 05-27-2017, 04:10 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

As someone who knows too well how often mistakes and oversights happen in health care, thank you for being so conscientious and caring so much.

Sending you a hug.
Old 05-27-2017, 04:13 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Glad everything worked out!
Old 05-27-2017, 04:41 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

good outcome Tetra

D
Old 05-27-2017, 05:50 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

What a relief, Tetra. I'm so glad for you.
Old 05-27-2017, 05:51 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Glad everything is okay, Tetra.
Old 05-27-2017, 05:57 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Thank you all.

Now it is 28/05/17 and I started my job on 28/05/16 so I have been there for a year. Sometimes it is very stressful but I do not hate it and I do not dread going in every day so that's good.

I probably do have a habit of thinking too much. My consultant has surgery twice a week. Every night before the surgeries I have started lighting candles that the patients will get beds and everything will be ok. (Like my Granny did for me the morning I had a big exam.) The ED gets so crowded that we usually get e-mails saying 'all non essential surgery is cancelled". I speak to the people on the phone every day. I offer them a surgery date and they are so grateful and they tell me "thank you so much. You made my day. I am so happy". I feel for them. I really do.

I told a colleague one time about the candle thing. She said "I know you feel for them but that is bad for you as it means you are taking work home with you". I have also woken in a panic in the middle of the night thinking did I send the theatre list and booking forms upstairs?

How can we not feel for people though? The world is such a crazy place at the moment that we should all try to be a little kinder to each other.

Anyway thanks all of you
Old 05-27-2017, 06:20 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I know it's hard to separate yourself from your work sometimes, especially if you work with people.
Old 05-28-2017, 09:03 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
saoutchik

I'm glad there was no harm done. We are not robots and knowing this Hospitals do generally have fail safe mechanisms.