Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

An hour before day 9. Powerful craving. From a passage in a book I am reading!

Notices

Old 05-27-2017, 11:01 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Gratitude Gardener

Just trying to keep on top of this.

I had an overwhelming moment of wishing for a glass of wine just now. Was only reading a book. The character was opening a bottle of wine.

I was blindsided by that, so strange.

A little earlier was sorta stressful as a friend stopped by and I felt really tired and didnt want to socialize but felt really mean turning her away, as she was feeling depressed.

But I think the combo of that stress, and then reading the book after that mentions wine... That combo triggered the ole AV.

It was to date the most powerful, almost urgent, craving I have yet had.

Sorta bums me out, but, what did I think? That this stuff wouldnt occur?

I am not going to drink... I am totally in bed and not willing to cave.

Just a check in to talk openly with you all about progress on day 8.

Be well folks <3
Old 05-27-2017, 11:08 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

The early days are full of cravings. It's important to realise that cravings are just feelings, not imperatives.

You can and will get through them, with practice

some good ideas here
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-cravings.html

D
Old 05-27-2017, 11:22 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Well done for posting about the craving and not giving in to it Herculana. Like Dee said, cravings are just feelings and they always, always pass.

I still get them. Not as often as in the first month or so but they can still show up unexpectedly and some of them are more forceful than others. What I try to do now (and this might sound a bit weird but stick with me) I acknowledge the craving when it shows up and actually welcome it. I say, "hello craving, why are you here?" I say this in my mind but I guess I could say it out loud if no one was around. I then try to work out what I was thinking about before the craving turned up. Was there an obvious trigger or was it completely unexpected? By the time I've really thought about it and been aware of my thought processes in that moment, the craving is already on it's way out.

To be honest, it sounds like you pretty much did the same thing today. You acknowledged the craving, thought about the trigger and decided not to drink. That's awesome. I don't fear cravings anymore. Saying hello to them somehow seems to take away some of their eerie power. In reality they don't have any power, not if you don't give them any. Well done
Old 05-28-2017, 09:06 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Gratitude Gardener

Its turning into a comedy that I have now responded with thanks to you guys three times (once last night, twice today) and NONE of my responses posted (faulty internet connection today). I am getting tired of rewriting, lol!

Thank you both. You helped me immensely <3
Old 05-28-2017, 11:30 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Keep at it herc, you can do this.
Old 05-28-2017, 11:55 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Day 514 and I still have cravings occasionally. For me, it's usually a visual...seeing someone on television with a big glass of wine.

They never show the bloat, the ugly crying, the booze blues, or the lying awake at 3:15 self-loathing. Ever.

You got this.
Old 05-28-2017, 11:58 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I've always found watching sports to be a craving. It's where you see the most booze advertisements. I'm only day 2 at this point on the wagon again but have decided to drop watching sports until I build enough time up to be stronger.
Old 05-28-2017, 12:02 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Recognizing triggers wherever they crop is big, herculana. Good for you for seeing it for what it is.
Hugs.