Notices

I am freaking out

Old 05-28-2017, 09:52 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

You are a very kind and mindful person, Tetra. I overthink things all the time too. I guess it's better than not being thoughtful at all.
Old 05-28-2017, 11:00 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tetra View Post
I just wanted to update this as a lot of you took the time to reply when I was very close to the edge so to speak, and I am very thankful.

Well as some of you know I work as a PA/medical secretary to a consultant. Pretty much anything that needs doing, he says "let Tetra know". So he handed me a biopsy report 6 weeks ago with a note written "urgent - notes please". That means he wanted the patients hospital chart. I checked the system and saw the patient was an inpatient at that time under a different consultant and I knew I could not get the chart. I put it in my tray and I meant to keep an eye on the situation but it slipped my mind.

So I came across the report this week when I was tidying up a bit and I immediately started to panic. I note the patient has cancer - in two different places I think. What I gathered from the system is that he/she is already having chemo under someone else. But I am not a doctor. What if they had cancer in both places? Would they need two types of chemo? I felt sick at the thought of someone's treatment being delayed 6 weeks because of my sloppiness.

I did speak to my dad (who is not a doctor either) but he did say "you worry too much. There is no way they would give him/her two types of chemo at once time. It is very hard on the system". I spoke to my colleague who just said "if the chart is available just leave it out for him. If anything he will dictate a letter saying something about the delay. To be truthful its not a big deal as everyone who works here has access to lab reports and someone would have picked up on it and been in touch".

So I did fetch the chart and left it on his desk. I had to leave early last Thursday and I did not see him but I saw he came in late in the evening to do paperwork as the file was back on my own desk yesterday morning with a post it saying "Ok, dealt with. Chart back to sort and file".

So you were all perfectly right. I do overthink and jump to the worst possible conclusions, This anxiety is very very hard to deal with. I thought I was coming to grips with it but I still have my ok days and my very bad days.

Anyway thanks again to all of you.
I am so glad that things turned out well, tetra!!!!!