Notices

recovery plans?

Old 10-14-2016, 12:00 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

recovery plans?

Can someone please give me some examples of a recovery plan? I don't actually quite understand what that means? I don't mean AA. I mean like a personal recovery plan! I'm really trying to figure out how to do things differently and I know I need a plan!!
Old 10-14-2016, 01:24 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi winniegirl

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ery-plans.html

^ This link is a great place to start - it's easy to read and pretty self explanatory...but I can also flesh it out a little

A plan as I see it rests on two main things - the first is finding enough support and using it. Support might be AA, it might be another meeting based recovery group...it could be counselling, it could be inpatient or outpatient rehab.

It might be simply posting here at SR regularly.

The other area is changes - making changes to your life that reflect your desire to be sober.

That might be lifestyle things like what you do for fun, avoiding things like pubs and clubs for a while...or roleplayiing situations in my head where I was in a unavoidable situations with other drinkers, or around alcohol. If you think about how to deal with those things, before hand you've won more than half the battle.

it might also be deeper things.,..if you drink for sadness, anger, boredom, fear...or maybe even reward...

it's good to examine that and to think of other coping strategies you might employ to deal with those things

It might all seem a little overwhelming right now, but it's really not - and you're not alone in any of this. Ask for help as much as you need to

D

ps this is a great link on dealing with cravings and how to handle them. http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-cravings.html (CarolD's tips for cravings)
Old 10-14-2016, 06:17 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Definitely look at the links Dee posted - really great stuff! Best wishes to you!
Old 10-14-2016, 08:13 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

winniegirl, I was interested in exactly the same thing and started this thread a couple of days ago.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...king-plan.html

I hope there's some helpful stuff in there for you -- there was for me. Good luck and stick around!
Old 10-14-2016, 02:52 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

One simple example I began to build into my day was regular check ins on SR, it kept me focused on the task at hand all day and dealt with cravings very effectively.

So my day had a check in when I woke up to start my day, a check in when I got to work, a check in at lunchtime, the important check in before I left work to keep me strong enough not to pick up alcohol on the way home, a check in when I arrived home, to stop me turning around and driving back to buy, then a check in before bed.

6 check ins a day . . . a day full of support, focus and perspective, and I ingrained that into each and every day . . . the result was the days started to accumulate and I was on my way!!
Old 10-14-2016, 08:47 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks this was extremely helpful information!
Old 10-14-2016, 09:35 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Dee's post has great info. SRis a big part of my recovery plan. Two good threads are the 24hoyr thread, and the monthly threads. You should pop into the October class, you will find others who started their recovery journey this month as well.
Old 10-15-2016, 12:01 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

This is a good thread. Everyone talks about the "Plan" but it helps to have very specific examples of the plan as a whole and the specific parts of the plan.
Thanks
Old 10-15-2016, 12:11 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Winnie, good for you for looking to change up your recovery plan. You will get lots of ideas here.
Old 10-15-2016, 12:28 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

For me my plan was very personal . I learned from each failure and made adjustments. I had to learn to understand the emotions or situations that led to drinking and change the way I behaved to be successful. I recently went on a three day outing that always involved drinking. As Dee said I spent days preparing mentally and planning all 36 hours in advance so I could escape the dangerous situations that I knew would come. Little embarrassed to say this but I actually pretended to be sick after dinner one night when the booze started to flow. Went to bed early and it was all pre-planned before I ever got there