Notices

New here

Old 05-04-2016, 11:53 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New here

I'm looking for basically anyone who's been through this mess and made it through. A little about me - I'm 20 years old, a veteran (joined young and got out on a general discharge a while ago), and a heroin addict. I started with pills about 18 months ago and it moved on from there.
I lost a lot over this - my army career, a lot of friends, and my integrity (did a lot of things I'm not proud of to get money for dope).

What I'm trying to figure out right now is how to quit. When I think about dope it's like everything else gets shut down, and there's nothing but the thoughts about my next hit. It's the first thing I do every morning and the last thing I do at night. Whenever I decide to quit, I give up on that within a day.
How do I decide to kick it, and stick to my decision?
Old 05-04-2016, 02:16 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome Aran, I'm still trying to figure my **** out but just wanted to say there's loads of good ppl here with wisdom and plenty of support.

I know how you feel.
Old 05-04-2016, 02:30 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to SoberRecovery, this place has so much support and we all have either been there, are still there, or if we refuse to quit will eventually get there.

I am 26 years old and I a recovering heroin addict (I have 9 months). Basically I changed my ENTIRE life because when you are truly ready to find recovery you will see that you will do anything and everything to achieve it.

First thing I did was to find myself a doctor that specializes in addiction. Having a doctor that specializes in addiction will give you the opportunity to get prescribed any medications that might be essential to getting over the first hump.

Second, I found a psychiatrist that specializes in addiction and I got a full psychological evaluation to see if there was any underlying issues (turns out I have bipolar type 2 disorder). If the psychiatrist finds that you do have something else going on then getting on proper medications will make it easier for you to reach recovery.

Then I went and got a substance abuse counselor and in the beginning I went to her 3 times a week and the longer I am sober the less and less I go. Right now I go once a month, but if I feel I am struggling then I go more. All three- my doctor, counselor, and psychiatrist are all in the same office and they compare their notes with each other so everyone is on the same page.

Lastly, I changed my phone number, deleted my facebook, I gave my car to a family member so it would make it a little harder to get drugs, I made sure I deleted my google contacts so I couldn't just load them back onto my phone and I opened up to my entire family (grandparents, uncles, aunts, cousins, mom, siblings etc.) This way I could reach out for support and I didn't want to be in recovery and still have to live a lie.

Some find that going to treatment or going to AA or NA helps keep them moving forward in recovery. I personally did not do either, but I have started volunteering, going to church, trying new hobbies, and finally deciding exactly what I want to do with my future.

You can do this! When I was finally ready to be sober I realized I wasn't losing anything by giving up heroin, instead I was actually GAINING my life back.

Make a recovery plan and try to follow it. Take it one day at a time.
Old 05-04-2016, 03:40 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
NA Member - Atheist

Welcome.

NA made the difference for me.

If you've had enough, there is hope.
Old 05-04-2016, 06:01 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

have you thought about rehab? followed by a sober living facility? AA, NA, AVRT (you can order the rational recovery book online) Do you have a Higher Power? If so, start with a prayer asking for help. Your first few months off the drug are the most critical you need to be strongest here. This may mean doing things you don't like, cutting off communication with triggers etc...Just throwing out bits of things that helped me get off crystal meth (my doc)
Old 05-04-2016, 06:02 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Also, the book "The Seat of the Soul" helped me out tremendously
Old 05-04-2016, 06:05 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Aran, It's great to have you with us. Being part of this community really helped me - you're never alone.
Old 05-04-2016, 09:13 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi Aran and welcome.
Old 05-04-2016, 10:54 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome. I also do NA. I learned through hitting my bottom and being tired of being sick and tired I couldn't do it alone. What I did before never worked. I kept trying different things. I am also an opiate addict. I have not touched an opiate since Jan 22 of this year.

I chose NA because its free, fun and has changed my life. I have a sponsor. I am working the steps. I go to meetings. I have a service commitment to make coffee for my home group on Sundays.

What I am doing to keep me sober is the same things I did to use. It is so hard at the beginning, I had to crawl to get over the hump, and now i can barely walk. I am trying.

I know right now how you feel is hopeless. I totally understand. It doesn't have to be like this. The people in the rooms of NA have truly been there for me, like we can be there for you.

If I didn't have a daughter and full time job I would've went to rehab. I think spending time only focusing on recovery would have been amazing. but I couldn't. instead I went to work in the beginning, and called someone twice a day, and went to a meeting a day. 90 days. that is what is recommended.

proud of you for reaching out.
Old 05-05-2016, 01:33 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Aran - as you see there's a lot of support and experience here - glad you found us

D
Old 05-05-2016, 06:07 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thank you guys for the replies. I feel really stupid even posting about it because frankly if I was a bit smarter I wouldn't be in this mess. That's also why I don't really want to go to meetings, I just feel like I shouldn't have ended up in this place to begin with.
A friend of mine told me last month that he can set me up with a place in rehab but I basically told him to f off because even though taking some time off to sort things out would be good I can't let other people see me in this condition. And I can't go on like this. So I keep trying on my own, which doesn't work out, and I end up in the spot.
Old 05-05-2016, 06:22 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Acceptance mate, it is what it is, and it was what it was. Addiction is cunning, baffling and powerful and doesn't discriminate. You should read around these forums. You will find that there are many recovery methods and a very varied bunch of people here. Find what resonates with you.

You sound like a smart person so if your truly in need of rehab, don't fight it for pride. It's your life.

Just be focusing on how to deal with this problem and not how it came to be.

Sending positive thoughts your way mate
Old 05-05-2016, 02:36 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

Addiction doesn't discriminate Aran - it takes the smart ones too

the good thing is you're putting it behind you - there's nothing smarter than that

D
Old 05-05-2016, 03:01 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome. There's lots of people here to talk to and help. Posting about how you feel helps, too.
I try to remember what made me come here. Try and hang on to that. You came for a reason, right?
Awesome you're here.
Old 05-06-2016, 06:08 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

How are things Aran?
Old 05-06-2016, 10:22 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hi all. Today gave me a few more good reminders for why I wanted to quit in the first place. Then I came back here, read your replies several times, and figured that I really have to end this cycle or it'll just keep on going. And then, being me, ended up not doing anything and getting high.

Re-reading everything here helped me focus on things again. Making a complete life change and getting away from here is exactly what I should be doing. I don't believe in a higher power, but I do believe that people can do big things, although I'm not just I include myself in that category...
So I called my friend and he's going to come over and take me to detox later today. I hate feeling so stuck that I can't do anything for myself (I know that if I had to go on my own I wouldn't go, which is crazy because I was never dependent on other people for anything), but it is what it is.

I really want to thank all of you, because just reading here and seeing that other people got it done helps.
Wish me luck. I'm going to need it.
Old 05-06-2016, 10:46 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Do your best

Nice to meet you Aran, wishing you all the luck in the universe bud
Old 05-06-2016, 10:47 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Glad to hear you are going to Detox Aran - accepting help from the outside is difficult and you should be commended for making that decision.

I would suggest going in with as open of a mind as you can. Try and learn about as many possible resources you can use after you get out, and don't forget SR is always here to supplement whatever plans you make to stay sober after you are done with rehab. Be well and check in when you can!
Old 05-06-2016, 03:52 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think detox is a good move - once you get through that safely you can think about a sober future

D
Old 05-06-2016, 05:10 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Really positive move Aran, good luck there. It will be the start of positive things for you.

Stay strong