Thread: New here
View Single Post
Old 05-04-2016, 02:30 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
AdelineRose

Welcome to SoberRecovery, this place has so much support and we all have either been there, are still there, or if we refuse to quit will eventually get there.

I am 26 years old and I a recovering heroin addict (I have 9 months). Basically I changed my ENTIRE life because when you are truly ready to find recovery you will see that you will do anything and everything to achieve it.

First thing I did was to find myself a doctor that specializes in addiction. Having a doctor that specializes in addiction will give you the opportunity to get prescribed any medications that might be essential to getting over the first hump.

Second, I found a psychiatrist that specializes in addiction and I got a full psychological evaluation to see if there was any underlying issues (turns out I have bipolar type 2 disorder). If the psychiatrist finds that you do have something else going on then getting on proper medications will make it easier for you to reach recovery.

Then I went and got a substance abuse counselor and in the beginning I went to her 3 times a week and the longer I am sober the less and less I go. Right now I go once a month, but if I feel I am struggling then I go more. All three- my doctor, counselor, and psychiatrist are all in the same office and they compare their notes with each other so everyone is on the same page.

Lastly, I changed my phone number, deleted my facebook, I gave my car to a family member so it would make it a little harder to get drugs, I made sure I deleted my google contacts so I couldn't just load them back onto my phone and I opened up to my entire family (grandparents, uncles, aunts, cousins, mom, siblings etc.) This way I could reach out for support and I didn't want to be in recovery and still have to live a lie.

Some find that going to treatment or going to AA or NA helps keep them moving forward in recovery. I personally did not do either, but I have started volunteering, going to church, trying new hobbies, and finally deciding exactly what I want to do with my future.

You can do this! When I was finally ready to be sober I realized I wasn't losing anything by giving up heroin, instead I was actually GAINING my life back.

Make a recovery plan and try to follow it. Take it one day at a time.