Notices

Old 07-18-2015, 11:28 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hello all, I'm Joe. I'v been drinking to varying degrees for years. My drinking would be normal considering where I came from and who I drank with. I have long ago realised it was not normal drinking. Anyway don't want to go into a big long story just to say most of the stupid, dangerous and wrong things I have done in my life was with drink on board and usually when lots of drink on board. Not trying to get off the hook by blaming drink rather than me, just stating what i believe are the facts. I don't drink as aften as I used to cos just cant take the downers after and the physical hits to the body. I do still occasionally go on a binge, usually 2, 3 or even 4days at a time. I still do stupid dangerous stuff when I'm drunk.

I think I am ready to stop drinking although not sure I will succeed but would really be at a loss for what to do with family and friends as my circle would be mostly drinkers and many heavy drinkers.

What do people do for social life when not drinking?

looking forward to finding out how forum works in next few days.
Old 07-18-2015, 11:35 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Joe!!

You'll find loads of support here on SR, great to have you onboard.

For me my eyes were opened to how many things there are to do that don't involve alcohol, that's only something drinkers think because all we did was do things that involved alcohol and associate with people that drank, so naturally all we saw was a world consumed with alcohol.

The reality is far from that, the great outdoors has many activities, going to watch movies, theatre, walks, going to coffee shops rather than bars, and when we finally dissociate alcohol from activities, music gigs and sporting events are on the list too in my social life!!
Old 07-18-2015, 12:03 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome Joe,

Keep posting. This is a wonderful sight.!

Join the July class!
Old 07-18-2015, 12:05 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Wonderful to meet you Joe! Be proud of yourself for taking this big step. Hope to hear more from you as you learn to navigate the site. You are never alone.
Old 07-18-2015, 12:14 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome to SR joe nice to meet you
Old 07-18-2015, 12:25 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Welcome to SR, jobeenfitz63. I highly suggest joining and actively participating in the Class of July 2015 thread found on this same forum. It's a great way to learn from and help others who are in early sobriety.
Old 07-18-2015, 12:28 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Yes do! the July class are wonderful
Old 07-18-2015, 12:31 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. I didn't have much of a social life while drinking, always drank home alone, but now I can go out and do anything I want and not have to worry about something bad happening. I feel so free not worrying about alcohol's bad effects.
Old 07-18-2015, 02:25 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi jobeenfitz63 - welcome aboard

I won't lie to you - I had to change my life completely. All my friends were drinkers like me.

Some supported me quitting but others couldn't or wouldn't.

I reconnected with a lot of old friends who either didn't drink or drank like normal people (never even finishing the first glass!).

I pursued hobbies and interests, I met people in coffee houses instead of bars, I built a new life that better reflected the sober me.

I've never regretted the changes. I love my new life and I love the real me I rediscovered.

You'll find a lot of help and support here - glad you found us

D
Old 07-19-2015, 11:08 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks for kind words and advice everyone.
I forgot to mention in my first post about the really good times I'v had with friends, family whilst drinking, shur giving up would be a doddle if we didn't get something out of drinking.

I know I have some willpower cos I stopped smoking over a year and a half ago.

I see people here advising July course? I will have a look in there and see how that goes.

I am fighting internally with myself at moment trying to decide to not drink again from today or do like I did with the smoking, Pick a date and work towards it?

Any advice would be great. I know we are all different and what works for one may not work for another.

Thanks again,

Joe
Old 07-19-2015, 11:24 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi Joe

Congrats on stopping smoking, I am still hooked. Got my vape pen coming early next week, so ill be hooked on that instead.

unfortunately I don't have any advice for you, and I don't think i'm in a place to be handing it out.

rgds
Old 07-19-2015, 11:27 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jobeenfitz63 View Post
I think I am ready to stop drinking although not sure I will succeed but would really be at a loss for what to do with family and friends as my circle would be mostly drinkers and many heavy drinkers.
Hi jobeenfitz63, I believe this is a pretty common and honest thought when one starts tossing around the idea of quitting drinking. There are many people here that will help you in this area. But it will likely start with making some changes with your social circle, not necessarily by choice but out of necessity.
Old 07-19-2015, 12:42 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Do your best

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-recovery.html
Old 07-23-2015, 11:33 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I notice people saying how long they are off the drink. Being off the drink never really worked like that for me.

I can and have often not drank for weeks, occasionally months and then I go binge drinking for days and longer.

I havn't taken a drink for about a week but I'm not sure if I'v actually quit because this is normality . I want to quit. I'm telling myself I am going to stay away from drink but I really don't believe me.

With the smokes I picked a day stopped and then knew exactly where I stood.

I was always convinced that giving up drink would be easier than giving up smoking. Now i suspect I was actually deceiving myself all along.
Old 07-23-2015, 11:45 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hi Joe, I also drank for most of my life, and had many periods of sobriety ranging from weeks to months, but could never stick with it. I finally got tired of it and after a night of ridiculous behavior I said "enough is enough". That was it. Almost two years ago.

You just have to want it badly enough, and like Dee mentioned, I had to stop associating with most of my drinking friends. But life is so much better now that I can't believe it. Not without problems of course, but they never seem overwhelming like they did before. Cheers.
Old 07-23-2015, 11:59 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by advbike View Post
Hi Joe, I also drank for most of my life, and had many periods of sobriety ranging from weeks to months, but could never stick with it. I finally got tired of it and after a night of ridiculous behavior I said "enough is enough". That was it. Almost two years ago.

You just have to want it badly enough, and like Dee mentioned, I had to stop associating with most of my drinking friends. But life is so much better now that I can't believe it. Not without problems of course, but they never seem overwhelming like they did before. Cheers.
I get what you say about the ridiculous behavior Advbike. I am fairly sensible when I'm sober and lots of people come to me for advice but I can be the opposite when drunk.

I'm just gonna have to put more thought and effort into this!
Old 07-23-2015, 12:22 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Do your best

You have SR in your corner bud