Notices

Keeping a Journal

Old 07-22-2015, 07:38 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Keeping a Journal

As I read about people's sobriety plans here, I see that you guys often mention keeping a journal of some kind. I would like to start one, too, but in the past I have never managed to keep one going (abandoning commitments to one's self is probably an especially alcoholic thing to do!) It seems like the discipline required to keep returning to your journal would benefit the daily work of sobriety.

Anyway, I'd love to hear about your journals, if you keep them. How often to you write in them? Are they physical or online? What kind of things to you write about? Do you have any tips for staying diligent?

xoxox
M.
Old 07-22-2015, 07:42 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'd be really interested to know too.....and it what ways have you found that it helps?
Old 07-22-2015, 08:04 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

When I first got sober, I started a gratitude journal and I wrote in it every day. Now I'm in the habit of quietly giving thanks all day long.

The only time I journal anything significant is if something is really bothering me. Then I'll give that "problem" ten minutes a day in a journal until it doesn't bother me any more. I'll write out all the thoughts that I don't say out loud. Ten minutes, no more. Then I don't allow myself to come back to thinking about it until the next session. If it pops in my head, I say, "You can write about that tonight." It helps me keep things from taking up too much space in my head/life.

I never journalled just for the heck of it - there is always a purpose.
Old 07-22-2015, 08:30 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Recovering ostrich

I am horrible at journaling, but I do keep one and I bring it with me everywhere. I jot down good thoughts I want to remember or things I hear. I am in AA so when I have a problem, I work in steps in my journal too.
Old 07-22-2015, 09:09 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Keeping a nightly journal was critical in the understanding of my relationship with alcohol. I started it a month before I joined the site and used it to write how I felt the night after I drank and about how I felt if I didn't drink. I also started keeping track of blood pressure readings in it and discovered alcohol raises it considerably. It helped me understand what alcohol is doing to me. Ultimately, it became obvious that it was a clear choice whether to be happy or not. Nearly 9 months after quiting drinking I decided to test the waters because I felt so strong. The journal helped me build a better relationship with myself so that I knew it was getting out of hand and I had to quit again, plus lots of stressers going on so I knew I had to quit or risk too much. I can't drink and maintain happiness. Workouts are critical too for me. For me, my journal was a journey into my own self awareness of how my actions affected me. I would write something every night, even if was just a small paragraph.

I hope this helps.
Old 07-22-2015, 09:25 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I use Scrivener. I journal daily. The trick for me was to write 1-2 sentences minimum, daily. I stick to this rule. If you stop writing ... well, it's then easy to stop writing altogether. So my #1 rule is to write every single day, if only a few lines

Sent from my iPad using SoberRecovery
Old 07-23-2015, 04:18 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
~sb

Keep a spiral pad on the table where you eat and write a few sentences at breakfast.....or lunch, or dinner.....
Old 07-23-2015, 08:17 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks, friends. Going to start my journal today and will commit to writing every day. Will also include things I'm grateful for. There's a lot but sometimes I forget.
Old 07-23-2015, 08:37 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
zjw

reminds me i have some stuff from yest i should really get down. THX

I'm not regular about it. I wish i was. but when i remember and when i have things that really stand out i jot them down.

I might write about a few key expieriences and how they played out . I might also jot down any stand out quotes i heard that day and bolden them so that i can hunt them back down easier later.

So far anyhow I've tried to make it a problem and show my thoughts and feelings that happened while in the thick of it then write the solutions and the thoughts and feelings that happened then. this way when i go back and read it i can see how things work out no matter how bad it may seem at the time things progress and get better.
Old 07-23-2015, 09:58 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Sounds like a plan Margaux!!
Old 07-23-2015, 10:18 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I have one in the computer. I started it in December, when I quit smoking. I wanted to see the changes/improvements I could make in year's time. Quitting drinking has proved to be harder than smoking, for me, but I want to keep track of how I feel, maybe once a week, and update a few life events, not everything.

I want to go back and read it after the year is done, or read some of it anyway.

Good luck and love your avatar!!!
Old 07-23-2015, 12:49 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Do your best

I love looking over my journals i wrote in them everyday its a great tool for reflection