Notices

Smiley Jack at a meeting running for Mayor!!?

Old 06-25-2015, 09:02 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Smiley Jack at a meeting running for Mayor!!?

Man, I am sitting in something and just need to get it out........I have to let it go and this is part of that process.

A week or so ago a new gent from another state came into the home group I attend. Great, love new folks!

But, this cat comes on like he's running for effin mayor - has stacked some time, but huge ego. A lot of blah, blah, blah. Hey, if anyone needs a sponsor come see me. Very controlling, puffed up with himself.......

Signs up to chair at two different groups immediately - really long sharing with details of his story constantly. Just way too much yakking........Has relocated here and is not going to go away.

So, this fine cloud of spirituality I reached at a year has been punctured today by letting Smiley Jack get in my head, take up space and he's not paying rent.

More work to do......Ouch, I really thought I was better than I am

ESH appreciated on others who have aggravated you more than just a little in meetings?!!?
Old 06-26-2015, 03:05 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Ha! Smiley Jack comes and Smiley Jack goes...where he comes from nobody knows

All I can say my friend is this sounds familiar. If you ask me, he will be around for a while, maybe kick up a whirlwind then just like that - he will be gone, and normal service will resume Or maybe (gasp) he will stick around and become a new friend My money is on coming and going like a whirlwind though hehe.

Live and Let Live...if you stick by what you need to do, this will probably be a funny story for you in a few years time

P
Old 06-26-2015, 03:27 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

I had the same situation, talked to my sponsor, and this hurt. He said, "S_cks looking in the mirror." He went on to explain in his experience that people that bugged him were exaggerated versions of himself. The reason he picked up on their character defects so strongly was because he was insecure about the same things. This painful lesson has stuck with me and whenever it happens I examine myself.

-OR-

The guy is a blow hard and hopefully will calm down once he realizes people don't want what he has
Old 06-26-2015, 05:20 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Originally Posted by MIRecovery View Post
I had the same situation, talked to my sponsor, and this hurt. He said, "S_cks looking in the mirror." He went on to explain in his experience that people that bugged him were exaggerated versions of himself. The reason he picked up on their character defects so strongly was because he was insecure about the same things. This painful lesson has stuck with me and whenever it happens I examine myself.

-OR-

The guy is a blow hard and hopefully will calm down once he realizes people don't want what he has

Struck a (painful) chord........
You may have something here, ouch and

Thanks
Old 06-26-2015, 07:19 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
skg

Originally Posted by Flynbuy View Post
I really thought I was better than I am
Welcome. We've been waiting for you...
"You spot it, you got it," always reminds me of the spec in the others' eyes and the plank in my own (Matthew 7:3-5).

Who we see here, what we say here, when we leave here let it stay here...
Old 06-26-2015, 07:35 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

...really long sharing with details of his story constantly. Just way too much yakking.
Bummer esp. when the person babbling on has time and should know better. I prefer meetings which use a timer.
Old 06-26-2015, 09:29 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MIRecovery View Post

-OR-

I'd go with Door #2.

I see this “if you spot it, you’ve got it” stuff a lot and while it can be true in some instances, I think it’s often a knee-jerk diagnosis that is over-applied.

Loud, obnoxious, controlling, overbearing people bug me simply because they’re loud, obnoxious, controlling and overbearing — not because they reflect some character defect of my own that I haven’t addressed, but precisely because they’re the kind of people I DON’T want to emulate (or to be around).

Sometimes other people are going to rub me the wrong way. It doesn’t always mean they’re echoing something that's wrong with me. There’s something wrong with me only if I’m unable to prevent my annoyance with them from festering and growing into something that interferes with my ability to live life on life’s terms.
Old 06-26-2015, 10:30 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
skg

Dang Axiom

"It is a spiritual axiom that every time we are disturbed, no matter what the cause, there is something wrong with us. If somebody hurts us and we are sore, we are in the wrong also. But are there no exceptions to this rule? What about “justifiable” anger? If somebody cheats us, aren’t we entitled to be mad? Can’t we be properly angry with self-righteous folk? For us of A.A. these are dangerous exceptions. We have found that justified anger ought to be left to those better qualified to handle it."12 and 12, Step 10
The reason for the feeling of anger/resentment (FEAR) is because it involves torment (discipline) (1 John 4:18,19). Love and fear cannot coexist at the same moment.

Not my business to judge 'em. Who's problem is that?
Old 06-26-2015, 10:46 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
skg

bubbles

Oh, and there's this little helpful tip my sponsor shared:

Meditation/visualization exercise for overcoming a resentment

Picture yourself near a gurgling mountain stream. Birds are softly chirping in the crisp cool mountain air. Nothing can bother you here. No one knows this secret place.

You are in total seclusion from that place called "the world." The soothing sound of a gentle waterfall fills the air with a cascade of serenity.

The water is clear. You can easily make out the face of the person whose head you're holding under the water. Look. It's the person who caused you all this stress in the first place. What a pleasant surprise. You let them up... just for a quick breath... then ploop!...back under they go... You allow yourself as many deep breaths as you want.

There now... feeling better?
Old 06-26-2015, 11:35 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Friend of Jimmy B

I know Jack. There were times I've probably been Jack. This brings to mind the following paragraph from the 10th step essay in the 12&12.

"Finally, we begin to see that all people, including ourselves, are to some extent emotionally ill as well as frequently wrong, and then we approach true tolerance and see what real love for our fellows actually means. It will become more and more evident as we go forward that it is pointless to become angry, or to get hurt by people who, like us, are suffering from the pains of growing up."
Old 06-26-2015, 11:39 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Struck a (painful) chord........
You may have something here, ouch and

Thanks
There's a high probability that either MI a d myself have the same sponsor or our sponsors have the same sponsors.
After pretty much the same response from my sponsor for pretty much the same situation he said put pen to paper or let someone else be the poison that was gonna kill me.
I put pen to paper.
Selfish. Selfcenteredness. That we think is the root of our problems.
Blahblahblah.
But true.
Then went on with the rest of the steps on it.
Freedom!!!
Old 06-26-2015, 02:31 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Originally Posted by tomsteve View Post
There's a high probability that either MI a d myself have the same sponsor or our sponsors have the same sponsors.
After pretty much the same response from my sponsor for pretty much the same situation he said put pen to paper or let someone else be the poison that was gonna kill me.
I put pen to paper.
Selfish. Selfcenteredness. That we think is the root of our problems.
Blahblahblah.
But true.
Then went on with the rest of the steps on it.
Freedom!!!
There's a high probability future sponsee's of mine will hear this

I appreciate everyone's input.

Went to meeting today, was a bit early. Smiley Jack came in to the room, garnered more votes passing out cigars - shaking hands and kissing babies all around.

I was fortunate he plopped in chair right next to me, smiled and we shook hands.

I won't vote for him, but didn't relocate either.....
Old 06-26-2015, 02:34 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Originally Posted by CousinA View Post
I know Jack. There were times I've probably been Jack. This brings to mind the following paragraph from the 10th step essay in the 12&12.

"Finally, we begin to see that all people, including ourselves, are to some extent emotionally ill as well as frequently wrong, and then we approach true tolerance and see what real love for our fellows actually means. It will become more and more evident as we go forward that it is pointless to become angry, or to get hurt by people who, like us, are suffering from the pains of growing up."
Yes - When I read MI's comments I told my love.......ya know, I can be Smiley Jack at times - shake your hand and steal your watch.

........and when we were wrong probably (I mean promptly) admitted it.....
Old 06-26-2015, 02:42 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Originally Posted by Andante View Post
I'd go with Door #2.

I see this “if you spot it, you’ve got it” stuff a lot and while it can be true in some instances, I think it’s often a knee-jerk diagnosis that is over-applied.

Loud, obnoxious, controlling, overbearing people bug me simply because they’re loud, obnoxious, controlling and overbearing — not because they reflect some character defect of my own that I haven’t addressed, but precisely because they’re the kind of people I DON’T want to emulate (or to be around).

Sometimes other people are going to rub me the wrong way. It doesn’t always mean they’re echoing something that's wrong with me. There’s something wrong with me only if I’m unable to prevent my annoyance with them from festering and growing into something that interferes with my ability to live life on life’s terms.
Yes - and really there's much of the rub. I have more work to evolve into not letting others sit in my head. Not quite there, yet.

Well stated about those considered to be bombastic blowhards, got it.
Old 06-26-2015, 05:23 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I have more work to evolve into not letting others sit in my head. Not quite there, yet.
Well, sure. Don’t we all! Progress, not perfection.

For me at least, the point is to try to strive consistently in a direction towards the sort of ideal represented by Bill’s “spiritual axiom,” while acknowledging that it’s a rigid abstraction that is neither attainable nor even desirable in the real world. Real-world interactions with real people are going to involve conflict at times. How skillfully I deal with that conflict is what measures my progress in recovery. Beating myself up for actually having feelings about people and falling short of perfect adherence to “axioms” accomplishes nothing but to create needless frustration. People are going to “rent space” in my head sometimes — it’s part of being human. How quickly and skillfully I can apply spiritual principles to evict a “bad tenant” is what’s important.
Old 06-26-2015, 06:09 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Well, you could go with the Big Book

" Though we did not like their symptoms and the way these disturbed us, they, like ourselves, were sick too. We asked God to help us show them the same tolerance, pity, and patience that we would cheerfully grant a sick friend. When a person offended we said to ourselves, "This is a sick man. How can I be helpful to him? God save me from being angry. Thy will be done."

We avoid retaliation or argument. We wouldn't treat sick people that way. If we do, we destroy our chance of being helpful. We cannot be helpful to all people, but at least God will show us how to take a kindly and tolerant view of each and every one."

Also, is it possible that your next spiritual teacher has just arrived More growth in store
Old 06-26-2015, 06:29 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

So, this fine cloud of spirituality I reached at a year has been punctured today by .....

...kinda like i had so much serenity this morning and was just appreciating it all while walking on a trail with my dog and then there came someone yakking yakkity-yak on their cell-phone and i started grimacing and muttering about how these loud people with their loud cellphone-voices just make my serenity all KAPUTT...like that, Flynbuy?????

i had to laugh when i saw myself do it! haha yeah, serenity when it's easy, sure!
Old 06-26-2015, 06:32 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

In my experience the truth, at least as I perceive it, lays some where between door 1 and 2. The hardest part of honesty is being honest with myself
Old 06-26-2015, 06:40 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
It`s ok to stay sober

did he offer his services as your sponsor yet?

one day you may be thankful for him.He is ruffling the feathers of a few.Let your defect(s) take you into the solution of the 12 steps and he will,in reality,be helping you get better.It takes what it takes to get us deeper into the steps,and I have been there also.I ended up on page 552 of the big book,praying for some guy.I didn`t even make it 2 weeks before I started seeing him in a different light.
Man,did I screw up a good resentment or what?

one more thing,service,think of being of service.You may think I have rocks in my head,but do something good for him,more than once.
Unconditional love sometimes starts with unconditional service to those in our path,whether we like them or not.If i just did service to those I like,it would be conditional service
Right action on my part helps me get better,not what they do,but what I do in response to them builds character and my character needed a rebuilding
Old 06-26-2015, 06:53 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Originally Posted by Andante View Post
Well, sure. Don’t we all! Progress, not perfection.

For me at least, the point is to try to strive consistently in a direction towards the sort of ideal represented by Bill’s “spiritual axiom,” while acknowledging that it’s a rigid abstraction that is neither attainable nor even desirable in the real world. Real-world interactions with real people are going to involve conflict at times. How skillfully I deal with that conflict is what measures my progress in recovery. Beating myself up for actually having feelings about people and falling short of perfect adherence to “axioms” accomplishes nothing but to create needless frustration. People are going to “rent space” in my head sometimes — it’s part of being human. How quickly and skillfully I can apply spiritual principles to evict a “bad tenant” is what’s important.
Good Point(s)!!!
Well stated
Thanks......