Notices

Addiction is a Strange Beast

Old 05-28-2015, 02:04 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Addiction is a Strange Beast

Once your labeled or admit to any kind of addiction to the medical community; your treated like dirt !!!

It's interesting to me b\c it has always wierd'ed me out b\c no matter what drug or chemical I've ever used or put into my body; I never became addicted or would abuse anything else but alcohol. Yet the medical community sees you've admitted to being an alcoholic they refuse to prescribe anything that would help out of fear of abuse.

After 6 years. Of pain management; not once did I abuse nor sell my pills; but yet b\c of my honesty about my trouble w\ alcohol & the bad apples in Baltihell I have been refused any assistance. Oh except for when I was hospitalized for my seizure.

I'm disgusted, aggravated, & angered by the ignorance of the medical profession here. Rather scared how they can help me if they are not willing to address my pain issue or anxiety issues.

When I said something about at least writing me a prescription until I find suitable help for my anxiety; my "doctor" said just go to the er !?!?! This is after the er has told me to STOP coming just b\c of panic attacks.

The USA health care system is funked !!!!!

Dennis

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Sober Recovery
Old 05-28-2015, 06:35 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I'd give it time AW and perhaps find a different doc if the one you have isn't working out. Keep in mind too that there are a lot of "pill shoppers" out there - not saying you are, but if you have a history of addiction and ask for a script the stigma is there.

I've seen a few different medical doctors ( including a drinking related ER trip ) and a counselor and all of them have been very supportive of my decision to quit drinking.
Old 05-28-2015, 06:41 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Are you seeing a psychiatrist? They can prescribe for anxiety. I wouldn't see a regular doctor for that or go to the ER.
Old 05-28-2015, 06:51 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post

I've seen a few different medical doctors ( including a drinking related ER trip ) and a counselor and all of them have been very supportive of my decision to quit drinking.
Well I liked this doctors initial exam of me & the fact he was thorough with his interest in my case; but after my appointment yesterday he left me feeling less than a human being. I have issues & am well aware I need a shrink. But at the same time I would like some help while I try & fine one.

He didn't even refill my seizure meds !!!!!! Made my next appointment for August ..... So I am now looking for new doctors as of today.

Dennis

Old 05-28-2015, 07:42 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

It is sad how alcoholics/addicts are treated, I've seen it and felt it myself, it really makes you feel like crap.

What has always boggled my mind is hearing how some people have been on Xanax or whatever for YEARS, how can that be? What doctor would prescribe it for that long? I don't even ask for an anti-anxiety med, the last time I was prescribed valium they cut me off after 3 months saying it is only to be used for a brief period, and I never abused it.
??
Old 05-28-2015, 08:00 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by jessie65 View Post
What has always boggled my mind is hearing how some people have been on Xanax or whatever for YEARS, how can that be? What doctor would prescribe it for that long?
??
Most doctors wouldn't prescribe it for that long. Some people "doctor shop" so they can get either more scripts to increase their daily consumption, or to extend their prescription after another doctor won't renew it. Some people flat out steal it too, or have someone else get a scrip for them. And then there are the internet/overseas vendors and the black market. Prescription drugs are no different from any other drug in that once you are addicted, you will do anything to keep using.
Old 05-28-2015, 08:13 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

There are counsellors out there specialize in addiction. Maybe you could start there. I'm sure they could refer you to an MD who would be more sympathetic to your condition.

I know what you mean about doctors though. I was completely honest with mine about my alcoholism and, was suddenly treated like ****. As I was leaving his office I could hear him talking about my conditition with other members of the staff. So much for doctor patient confidentiality.
Old 05-28-2015, 02:45 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jessie65 View Post
What has always boggled my mind is hearing how some people have been on Xanax or whatever for YEARS, how can that be?
??
I was on Valuim for 5yrs in Boston. Not once did I abuse it or sell it. Passed every urine test. They were prescribed for my severe back spasms. 1-2 a day 5mg ... I even had visits where I brought in leftovers cause spasms weren't that bad. Never drank on any of my pills. I was a model patient up until my doc transfered & the next one I had cut everything in half & I was in pain more calling out of work .. It's being stigmatized unfairly that put me in the position I ended up in.

I chose to drink again yes; but it wasn't cause I wanted to as much as I was fed up not getting sleep & constant pain.

Dennis

Old 05-28-2015, 02:54 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I don't see how doctors don't recognize brain problems just like they recognize problems with any other organ.

If you have a liver problem, you go to a hepatologist.
If you have a brain problem, you go to a psychiatrist.

If you have any problem, your general care provider should refer you to a relevant expert.
Old 05-28-2015, 03:14 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

AW......I see a psycharist to address my anxiety issues and a medical doctor for my physical issues.....they both write me prescriptions. With medication my anxiety issues are controlled enough to enable the abstinence of alcohol. SR helps w the maintenance.
Old 05-28-2015, 05:35 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Debbie329 View Post
AW......I see a psycharist to address my anxiety issues and a medical doctor for my physical issues.....they both write me prescriptions. With medication my anxiety issues are controlled enough to enable the abstinence of alcohol. SR helps w the maintenance.
I'm fully aware I need both. Problem is I would have thought he could have done something until I found a shrink. The place that came highly recommended to me was full and not accepting new patience.

I am petrified of this s**thole of a city & am not just gonna pick a place out of the phone book. He couldn't have referred someone ?? Not to mention offer any relief for the obvious physical pain I was in since I had tears in my eyes ??

Sorry don't mean to be so full of anger but this guy was an absolute tool and talked for less than 15 to say ohh you need a shrink & I don't help with chronic pain.

Could have said that last weeks visit. Again excuse me, my spasms are killing me & nerves are shot. I need to save the little meds I have to take care of mom during the day ..

Dennis