Notices

Recovery is a really interesting thing...

Old 05-12-2015, 08:31 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Recovery is a really interesting thing...

Now when I say interesting, I mean that it is a trip in comparison to pickling your body pretty much 24/7. Including my 3 or more beers in the morning before work just to feel normal and stagger the hangover, I was a 12pk of tall boys and about 9-10 shots a day drinker. I currently have 2 weeks 3 days of sobriety under my belt. I feel considerably better but still feel tired all of the time, have really messed up gastrointestinal feelings and itch all of the time. Thankfully, the sweats and the shakes have ceased and my blood pressure seems to have begun to return to normal. I feel great in comparison and haven't had much of a desire to drink (yet). My biggest worry is that I live in a party punk house and play in a punk band that plays in bars and at parties at least 3x a month if not more. These things are incredibly important to me and I am not ready to seperate myself from but my health and sobriety is also important to me. Has anyone had a similar situations to this whether punk house or just party situations etc?
Old 05-12-2015, 08:40 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I personally dont, in early sobriety I found it really difficult and annoying. However, when I used to attend aa I knew people who Had long term sobriety and worked in bars ( even in early sobriety ) and I had a friend who loved raves. He was super honest abut it and sometimes2 other sober ppl would go with him to do the whole sober buddy thing. Lol I wouldn't want to go to a Rave wasted or sober bt it just wasn't something he wanted to give up bc he wasn't drinkiG an using anymore.
Imo I'm gonna drink an drug whether I'm home alone or out with friends it's just a matter of my mind set.
it sounds like the band is important to you, have u explained to your hand mates that you are tying to quit and do u think thy will be supportive? A lot of my drinking buddies said they were supportive and then they would try to get me to have "just one beer". I Had to find a new scene, an I'm glad I did. I really don't know of this will,be the case for you but I would definitely set up a plan of action. tell them clean living is the new punk rock
Old 05-12-2015, 08:46 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yes. I'm not going to mention exactly what, but yes, I've lived in "party pads" before, so I can understand it can be a little rough.

It's your decision to make. "The" life or "your" life. Which would you prefer? You most probably don't get a choice in the matter -- it's one or the other. There's a good chance you're not going to be able to combine the two, and come out the other end a better & sober man.
Old 05-12-2015, 08:52 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

those situations are pretty tough... but not impossible.

I know a few sober musicians.

There are many 'out there' as well - look to Rollins and Waits and others who've decided to go it sober.

That said - I don't think I'd put myself into hard-partying situations in early sobriety..... and now, 500 days into it, even still I tend to avoid those situations. Less because of any concern for my sobriety than because I just really don't enjoy those settings anymore.

It's funny.... "partying" doesn't seem at all like a party when you decide to look at it with sober eyes.
Old 05-12-2015, 08:54 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hey,

When I said I was going to stop drinking my friends decided that I'd, "gone Straight Edge" haha. I am into my local punk scene although I'm not in a band (how cool that you are!).

I'm in early sobriety and I've removed myself from that scene for a brief period. The cool thing is that I'm in AA so I take along either a friend from AA or a sober friend (who genuinely identifies as Straight Edge!) which definitely helps when I'm out and the pressure is on.

You've made a really good decision to stop drinking and be proud of that.
Old 05-12-2015, 09:04 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I have told my bandmates of my desire to get sober and for the most part they seem supportive and proud of me. No ok ne else in the band really has a problem with drinking. So much so, that at one point one jokingly said "What? Sober? That will mess with the authenticity of the set!" As far as my place of living goes, there are sober people who live where I live and booze is not necessarily always around but when it is around it is in great abundance. I have made what I think is a good first step in maintaining the house situation I love and still being sober which is moving into the secluded basement room. That way I do not have to be about the party if I do not desire to be. Social anxiety and stage fright is a huge part of why I started drinking and in a way I want to challenge myself and overcome these fears. I feel that we all have these reasons why we started drinking and overcoming these obstacles and fears is the first step to sobriety and looking at booze not as medicine. I sought a therapist when I was first trying to get sober and his response was just that. Overcoming those triggers.
Originally Posted by greens View Post
I personally dont, in early sobriety I found it really difficult and annoying. However, when I used to attend aa I knew people who Had long term sobriety and worked in bars ( even in early sobriety ) and I had a friend who loved raves. He was super honest abut it and sometimes2 other sober ppl would go with him to do the whole sober buddy thing. Lol I wouldn't want to go to a Rave wasted or sober bt it just wasn't something he wanted to give up bc he wasn't drinkiG an using anymore.
Imo I'm gonna drink an drug whether I'm home alone or out with friends it's just a matter of my mind set.
it sounds like the band is important to you, have u explained to your hand mates that you are tying to quit and do u think thy will be supportive? A lot of my drinking buddies said they were supportive and then they would try to get me to have "just one beer". I Had to find a new scene, an I'm glad I did. I really don't know of this will,be the case for you but I would definitely set up a plan of action. tell them clean living is the new punk rock
Old 05-12-2015, 09:06 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

First of all welcome Recoveringkevo......I really can't give you advice on this because I never lived in a "party pad" when I was not active in my alcoholism. But there is an old saying "hang around a barbershop long enough, and you are bound to get a "haircut". Personally, I try not to hang out at the "barbershop" Best Wishes
Old 05-12-2015, 09:12 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
I will NOT drink to that!

I live with an active alcoholic. My husband drinks every day & gets drunk every day. My house ALWAYS has alcohol in it and I am still 6 months sober. If you really want to be sober & fully accept that you have no more room for alcohol in your life, you can do it! I'm not saying it's easy but it is not impossible to do.
Old 05-12-2015, 10:03 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the SR family. Take advantage of the support here to help you get sober for good.
Old 05-12-2015, 11:00 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

It doesn't sound easy, and I'm not sure that I could handle it, but that doesn't make it impossible!

Welcome