Notices

Do yoga and drink...

Old 04-22-2015, 04:11 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Do yoga and drink...

Local group is now doing yoga classes at the brewery - with beer specials afterward.

If this isn't the very epitome of how booze-centric our western society has become I don't know what is.

Your body is a temple.... Find your center... Then poison it.

So glad to be sober
Old 04-22-2015, 04:19 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I agree. I'm a runner and I see the races with beer and even participated in a Marathon where the last mile was Margaritaville and they had small Margaritas! The last thing I wanted to do after running 25 miles was drink booze and the guy in front of me who did-ended up collapsing and had to be carried off on a stretcher. Oh to be so close to finishing (the last .5 mile was in Lambeu field!) and that be the cause-no thank you.

I am incredibly grateful today that I no longer have to live in fear of my next drink--there isn't going to be one!
Old 04-22-2015, 04:31 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

oh-boy
Old 04-22-2015, 04:35 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

The glorification of liquor is at an all-time high. I only wish society would become as cynical towards it as it is towards other advertising. (Big pharma, Joe the Camel, etc).
Old 04-22-2015, 04:54 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

It is constantly drilled into us all through our adult lift that you can not be happy without alcohol....going bowling...have a drink with it.....going to the christmas market....beer tent in the cold.....run a race.....free novelty beer at the end of it.

During my last sober spell i used to go to club races on a sunday morning running cross country etc and everyone would go straight from the race to the nearest local pub and start drinking around 12pm and spend the whole day in the pub. Back then I didn't partake......then I did......then i just stopped running and got smashed at home on a Sunday afternoon.
Old 04-22-2015, 05:18 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

A guy I used to date always said he belonged to a drinking club with a running problem.

I haven't thought about him in years. I know the amount of alcohol I consumed increased a ton when I started hanging out with the guy.
Old 04-22-2015, 05:21 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Beer and yoga just doesn't go together.
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bookmaven View Post
A guy I used to date always said he belonged to a drinking club with a running problem.
You gave me my first genuine smile of the day....sounds very much like my old club, all running social events based around booze......odd for a bunch of people who were so health conscious in every other way.
  # 9 (permalink)  

What! That's pretty shocking to me. I utilise yoga to remove the cravings for alcohol! It's a mad world.
Old 04-22-2015, 05:23 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I'm guilty of all of it too.

A few years back a friend and I went on weekly 'beer runs'; we'd do a 20-miler and end it at the pub for several pitchers of beer (each) and shoot pool in our running gear.

So glad that my runs today end with a green protein smoothie.
Old 04-22-2015, 05:25 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FreeOwl View Post

So glad that my runs today end with a green protein smoothie.
Not sure about the green protein smoothie :s but I get the point
Old 04-22-2015, 05:27 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

They are awesome!!
Old 04-22-2015, 05:29 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Ha! Oxymoronic for sure. Or maybe just moronic.

Ohhhhhhmmmmmmmmmmmm my god
Old 04-22-2015, 05:32 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FreeOwl View Post
They are awesome!!
True! I should start selling my homemade green juice. There's a place in town that sells them for a stupid price and they don't even taste as good!
Old 04-22-2015, 05:35 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Denial is not the private reserve of the alcoholic
Old 04-22-2015, 05:40 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Ha! You guys are cracking me up this morning!
Old 04-22-2015, 06:09 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

The big wine walk is coming up around here. You even get a little sling to hang around your neck to hold your wine glass stable while you walk. Just craziness. . .and, yes, I used to participate. Oy. I really do love my life now-a-days and realize how driven my life was back then. The justification to drink were everywhere. "I can't have a problem bc I just ran a 1/2 marathon so I deserve a _______" Insane. My body is still healing from the stress drinking had on me and my gut health was trashed from all that sugar. Stopping drinking was hard. Getting my body healed has taken longer, but I'm doing GREAT!!! The idea of alcohol just makes me cringe and the smell makes me wanna puke.
Old 04-22-2015, 06:15 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
30 Days & Under Club

Agreed! Same with most local running groups... They promote running to get in shape but most only join for the post-bar trip. No thanks!
Old 04-22-2015, 06:23 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Altoids View Post
The big wine walk is coming up around here. You even get a little sling to hang around your neck to hold your wine glass stable while you walk. Just craziness. . .and, yes, I used to participate. Oy. I really do love my life now-a-days and realize how driven my life was back then. The justification to drink were everywhere. "I can't have a problem bc I just ran a 1/2 marathon so I deserve a _______" Insane. My body is still healing from the stress drinking had on me and my gut health was trashed from all that sugar. Stopping drinking was hard. Getting my body healed has taken longer, but I'm doing GREAT!!! The idea of alcohol just makes me cringe and the smell makes me wanna puke.
Congrats altoids, you sound like you're in a good place....I remember you had just quit when I was on here doing one of my previous attempts
Old 04-22-2015, 06:51 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I love yoga and I'm working on getting back into it. I just cannot imagine having drinks and getting into some of those poses. I fear for the amount of injuries likely to happen.

This really isn't a bright idea, lol.