Notices

Sad situation

Old 04-09-2015, 02:30 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sad situation

Hiya,
Im trying to cut down, went from vodka to wine. Sometimes I think im doing ok, except I dont remember the nights - the pizzas I ate - or how many bottles of wine I actually drank.
I cant control this, need to just STOP - but scared of withdrawals. Any advice how to tackle this?
Old 04-09-2015, 02:34 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Welcome CherBear. Quitting can be tough, and withdrawals can be scary, even dangerous in some instances. If you have the ability to speak with a doctor or a drug/alcohol counselor prior to quitting that its most likely the safest route. They can assess your health and may even recommend supervised detox. Going completely cold turkey on your own can be very difficult and dangerous...please seek some help before you attempt that.
Old 04-09-2015, 02:36 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome CherBear - it's great to meet you.

I tried that too - cutting down & changing what I drank. Nothing ever worked for me, but I spent years trying to manage it. I ended up in deep trouble because I refused to admit I had to stop. I'm glad you're realizing what needs to happen. Being here will help with the anxiety - you're never alone.
Old 04-09-2015, 02:44 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CherBear View Post
Hiya,
Im trying to cut down, went from vodka to wine. Sometimes I think im doing ok, except I dont remember the nights - the pizzas I ate - or how many bottles of wine I actually drank.
I cant control this, need to just STOP - but scared of withdrawals. Any advice how to tackle this?
welcome!

Cutting down never worked for me. I drank a hell of a lot of vodka. But when I finally quit; I quit.

Old 04-09-2015, 02:51 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome Cherbear here is some links that will help feel free to print them off to keep they are very useful

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-recovery.html
Old 04-09-2015, 02:55 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum CherBear!!
Old 04-09-2015, 04:23 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome CherBear

Yeah I tried that too - doesn't matter what kind I drank, alcohol was still alcohol.

If you're worried about withdrawal, the best advice I or anyone else can give you is go speak to your Dr.

Do it right and do it safe

D
Old 04-09-2015, 04:31 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

I tried all kinds of things to cut down and always ended up worse off then before. It was exhausting and depressing. It was really such a relief to just stop drinking. Have you talked to your dr? It's always a good idea because detoxing from alcohol can be dangerous.
Old 04-09-2015, 05:03 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi Cher
I agree with Dee and Anna .They have a lot of knowledge, But I use to be a big wine drinker and shaking like crazy. I quit wine and went to beer.I'm down to 4 beers a day and tomorrow is my day to quit. Although i'm not worried about withdrawls as i'm worried about the routine. I'm going to get some ice cream and food and i'm going to hibernate for a few days and go for it. I will get medical attention if things go bad,but I think i'm ready and will be on S.R. the whole time....
If your ready I hope you join me....
TC
Old 04-09-2015, 05:07 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I also suggest asking your doctor for help in getting safely thru withdrawals.
Old 04-09-2015, 06:12 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks guys for the welcome, and the support. Im gonna try cold turkey - with some Valium for when things get too rough.
Im nervous, itl be tough. But staying sober must be possible, as you guys are all doing it
Thanks again
Old 04-09-2015, 06:27 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Honestly though, CherBear, some people don't make it out when they try cold turkey.

Please be sure you don't take the Valium and drink.

I also think you should see a doctor, but at the least, have someone with you for the first three days of withdrawal in case something happens. It's dangerous - especially if you're going to self-prescribe Valium.