Notices

Stay sober New Years thru the weekend! Dec 30-Jan 4

Old 12-30-2014, 07:23 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Smile Stay sober New Years thru the weekend! Dec 30-Jan 4

The new year for me is a bigger deal than other holidays. Not in that I want to drink any more or less but in that it delineates the passage of time.

For those just learning to live sober and what that means it can be extra frustrating to be forced to associate the holiday with how much of the past we gave to drinking and drugging. That can hurt... It does me.

I have learned this year how to let that go. I learned I am not bound by the past as much as I think I am. Certainly I have to rectify my actions but that does not mean I must carry the burdens with me.

This New Years. This moment. Remind yourself of the lessons you learned this year. Try to see the strength in those lessons. Identify what we need to take with us into 2015 and what to leave behind.

I take with me into 2015 the strength from not backing down when the need arises to say those words and mean them... "I don't drink." I own my words.

I leave behind friends who don't understand. People who choose to mock me out of their ignorance.

Let's put our collective will together this holiday week/weekend and stay sober.

Happy New Year SR!

Let's ride our sober bus into 2015!!!!

Old 12-30-2014, 07:25 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Shotgun!!

Bwa-ha-ha-ha!

Not that I care, of course!
Old 12-30-2014, 07:30 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

2014 was a year of growth, for sure. My time drunk was a time of sheer self-indulgence and licking my wounds over even the most miniscule things.

Gradually as I've gotten sober I have learned how to face life, no matter what it throws at me. When I am tempted to get the vapors over a slightly unpleasant situation, I have learned to cut my own crap and handle it like an adult.

That foundation is what I hope to take into 2015.
Old 12-30-2014, 07:31 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Glimmer used two posts. :-/ at "the vapors." Wow, you're older than I thought, Glimmer.

I have a lot in my past that can bug me if I start to think about it. I used to have trouble sleeping because I'd ruminate about the past and things that had happened. Some of it was stuff I did and some was stuff done "to" me.

Now I have learned to not go down that road. Nothing good comes of it and it can ruin a day, week, life. Yes, bad stuff happened. I'm done worrying about it and replaying it. Onward and forward.
Old 12-30-2014, 07:42 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
I will NOT drink to that!

Woohoo, I'm in with my brothers & sisters of the same struggle!!! Last year I didn't remember NYE at all. The hubs & I were $hit faced drunk & passed out by the time the ball dropped. This year I am watching that %$$*@ ball drop!!!
Old 12-30-2014, 07:44 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Do your best

Soberwolf is in at the back of the bus by the heaters im feverish with the cold

Manflu !! LOL
Old 12-30-2014, 07:46 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Im in. January 1, 2015 will be one year sober for me. I have felt weird since Christmas - just thinking of where I was a year ago. I am glad I climbed out of that hole and I intend to keep climbing.

Here's to a Great New Years!!
Old 12-30-2014, 08:00 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Soberwolf in the bus and not on?! Times change and we all need to adjust.

I tend to lose sleep over future events and not past regrets. I can't change the past and perhaps it is situational amnesia. Sure sometimes I regret something I didn't do when younger. Time flirs in life. Make the best of it now with what we have. Today is a new day.

And can I mention the "ruby rule" again? Just say "no" to situations that will put you in the line of fire-going to parties, bars, liquor stores, if you have fears of drinking and even if you don't. I know I don't belong there. I will be hanging out with my parents, my children and my niece and nephew. We will have fun and I do not miss ringing in the new year with alcohol and marring my new slate with a painful hangover. Thanks weasel for getting us started. I hope we dont lose the thread **** last week. Gilmer, you crack me up.
Old 12-30-2014, 08:02 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

I challenge everyone that participates in this thread:

No navel-gazing, reminiscing, lamenting over what was. There is a New Year awaiting you. What are you going to do with that New Year. Some have no way to go but up, some have no way to get but better.

What will you do with your New Year?
Old 12-30-2014, 08:15 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Jumping on the bus! I'm looking forward to the holiday season being over. I'm not BaHumbug about it, but it just lasts for soooo long and I do better with a regular schedule.

2015 for me is gonna be all about me becoming a better me. I'm gonna keep doing what I've been doing, but step it up a bit with a bit more focus. Yes, I'm working on my plan and it is coming together nicely.
Old 12-30-2014, 08:23 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

what on earth is "Navel Gazing"????

I have a special new chaise lounger (S-Curve) in my living room for any "attacks of the Vapors" Miss Scarlett.
Old 12-30-2014, 08:24 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Colorado Cold

-5 F still Air Temps around Denver just now. -15 F with Wind Chill from a zippy lil Breeze. -25 F tonight with Wind Chill factored in. Unusual for us, in that this ain't Montana!

I turned down one Drunk Chick Dinner Invite on Xmas Day, and have turned down 2 NYE Invites from [/not]-Normies. One inadvertently-patronizing Invite was from another Gal Pal Teacher who breathlessly told my Wife: 'tell [Mesa] that about half the People at this Party won't be Drinking!' Well, 'whoop de frickin' do', to quote Mike Myers in Character!!! *Guffaw* With these Temps, the only dropping Balls we're gonna watch will be from the safety of our Leather Recliners IF we start a new Trend and stay awake this year for Midnight TV coverage. Dinner out nearby is always possible. That provides all the festive fun w/o the Roadside Sobriety Checks. Then, we'll scoot Home to keep the Pooch calm by our presence should Fireworks be set off by the Wasted Youth 'round here.

My New Year involves keepin' on by keepin' on. Keep doin' what I enjoy, and finding all sorts of lil pleasures in doing 'stuff' Sober. Home Improvement. Travel in a new, modest Camp Trailer once 2 of our 3 Houses sell. Get back into better shape, as I was after intense Whiplash Rehab years ago. Put another year behind me as the 'New' me comprehensively becomes the 'Default' me. I simply don't sweat the past. The past - Warts & all - is exactly what it took for me to become who I am today. If there were Shortcuts evident, I would have taken them. I'm pretty 'Zen' about my Personal Timeline. We got it made in the proverbial shade, so why Hand-wring about anything that cannot now be altered?

I can only get to this Forum Section via 'New Posts' since there's still some Virus-related BS going on regardless of what Techno Trix I try. I'm getting 'No Data Received' Error Messages using Google Chrome when at the top Forum level. So, we'll see ya here as we cya, Technology permitting...

Happy Happy To All!

-----
Old 12-30-2014, 08:33 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

"Navel-gazing" is the practice, sitting head-down, of introspection to ruin.
Old 12-30-2014, 08:35 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
I will NOT drink to that!

Originally Posted by trachemys View Post
"Navel-gazing" is the practice, sitting head-down, of introspection to ruin.
Aaaahhh, that's what it means! Yeah, I have done that too...
Old 12-30-2014, 08:43 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

The past - Warts & all - is exactly what it took for me to become who I am today.
And exactly a great attitude, MM!
Old 12-30-2014, 09:09 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Oh, BTW, weasel...starting an hour and a half early so Gilmer could get shotgun was just....low.

Old 12-30-2014, 09:12 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by trachemys View Post
Oh, BTW, weasel...starting an hour and a half early so Gilmer could get shotgun was just....low.

Let it go, trach. ;-P
Old 12-30-2014, 09:22 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Bim, I had a mental flash of a threat to trach- let it go or we sing the Frozen anthem. Let it go, let it go!! Rven my son sings it.
Old 12-30-2014, 09:25 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

And that came out totally wrong as I have no ill will. Sorry trach. The jockeying for shotgun is cute.
Old 12-30-2014, 09:45 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

The shotgun thing comes from when I had time to play. I was just poking fun. You know there can be no ill will between me and anyone here. I love you people.