Notices

Last night

Old 10-14-2014, 03:04 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Last night

My bus was delayed over an hour so it meant I'd a two and a half hour wait to get home. I was twitching and dancing with the devil of drinking. I actually had to use the "just not today if u feel like it tomorrow I'll let you" analogy. It worked. Maybe just now the avrt "yes no game" is too difficult. Because in the moment of temptation when saying no is hard - saying yes is too easy - if it's one or the other. Maybe I have to manipulate my beast as he does me right now. Anyway I'm really pleased I didn't drink last night things still suck but at least I'm not hungover and guilty or anxious
Old 10-14-2014, 03:15 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Glad you made it through 13

D
Old 10-14-2014, 03:45 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 13unluckyforsom View Post
I actually had to use the "just not today if u feel like it tomorrow I'll let you" analogy. It worked.
That worked for me my entire first year sober. Was an incredibly powerful tool, as I meant it sincerely whenever I said it.

This staying sober stuff isn't as difficult as some people make it out to be. If we use the tools we're given. That's why early in recovery I wanted my toolbox to be overflowing. Filled it up, and used every single tool that was availed to me. Still do (well, a lot of them anyway), but it's no longer in order to not drink. I don't drink. Now they're my tools for leading a contented life.

Great job! Keep doing what you did there and you'll be sober for life.
Old 10-14-2014, 06:27 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Well done you! You can outwit your beast
Old 10-14-2014, 06:31 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

That is an excellent idea. "Just not today. If you want it tomorrow i'll let you, but just NOT today!" (My avatar totally agrees with this concept. hehe. )

That's going in the toolbox. Thank you!
Old 10-14-2014, 06:37 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
10/03/2014

Way to go!!! Fight that AV. Stay strong
Old 10-14-2014, 07:20 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'm not sure how separating the voice works as we all know it is "I" wanting but it does work with the AVRT. Any thought process that supports drinking is bunk. It has made early detection of "using thoughts" easier for me I think. Any which way we can. Congrats!
Old 10-14-2014, 08:12 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Do your best

I call my Av my pet dinosaur it can be tamed
Old 10-14-2014, 08:56 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Congratulations, 13, you did it! You succeeded in giving that idea to drink a pass. You get a pat on the back for this.

Next time, consider this. Step outside yourself and take a look at what you are experiencing when these urges come along. OK, so here's this 13 person, an (ex) alcoholic, with a sudden urge to drink. Where are the urges coming from? She surely doesn't want to drink, it is her addiction that is jonesing. Who decides if she will stay sober? Will she make it?

If you ponder these questions in this way while you are standing on that edge, I am confident that you will pull back. I know you have it within to do it and to be successful. I believe in you, 13. Always, OK?
Old 10-14-2014, 09:13 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
A.K.A Bri

Kudos to you for beating the urge!

-B
Old 10-14-2014, 10:25 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Great job!! Keep pushing through!!
Old 10-14-2014, 03:23 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by freshstart57 View Post
Congratulations, 13, you did it! You succeeded in giving that idea to drink a pass. You get a pat on the back for this.

Next time, consider this. Step outside yourself and take a look at what you are experiencing when these urges come along. OK, so here's this 13 person, an (ex) alcoholic, with a sudden urge to drink. Where are the urges coming from? She surely doesn't want to drink, it is her addiction that is jonesing. Who decides if she will stay sober? Will she make it?

If you ponder these questions in this way while you are standing on that edge, I am confident that you will pull back. I know you have it within to do it and to be successful. I believe in you, 13. Always, OK?
As always Fresh you say the right thing at the right time. My urges come from some part of me that's hell bent on ruining me and my friendships and all my close relationships. Actually that's not what it wants to do. It just doesn't care if that happens. Even as I type this and think about the consequences of drinking it ignites a spark in me that pulls me to imagine that warm feeling but it brazenly fails to validate the ensuing negativity that always - always - always - without a doubt follows. I really want to kick it for real this time. I've had my eyes opened to real happiness over the past 6 months - or at least as close to it as I've ever felt ever. Before my latest stint of drinking I was actually comfortable to be a part of this world. I truly saw beauty in living and a real excitement. I need to work on my coping mechanisms - I need to learn to put things down and not get to the point of stress and anxiety where I crave escape. There's tough times ahead. I'm hopefully going to move out from my brothers soon and I've quite a lot of debt but I just need to focus on working and paying it off at a manageable level. Problem is I'm really bad at working out budgets. I should probably get some help with it. I want to take charge of my life. I want to work towards this life that I deserve to give myself. I'm going to keep checking in daily for now because it helps me to get the day in perspective and I know I repeat myself a lot but it's like a positive affirmation to myself

I used your line today in work - I was talking to someone about hitting target and he was saying 'it's been hard today but I'm almost where I've got to be' I answered 'well done' then I smiled and said "onwards" lol I love how simple that word is but it's so meaningful I've sort of adopted it hahaha
Old 10-14-2014, 03:25 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Talking My first sober birthday in 20 years

.......and I have loved it!
Old 10-14-2014, 03:26 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Buggirl View Post
.......and I have loved it!
Sorry I hijacked the thread, thought I had started another thread! Sorry!
Old 10-14-2014, 03:27 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hijack away buggirl how are u and what do u love lol
Old 10-14-2014, 07:51 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

I'm really bad at working out budgets. I should probably get some help with it. I want to take charge of my life. I want to work towards this life that I deserve to give myself.
We all have some AV from time to time, but we also have a rational voice. I think that learning to recognize each for their true nature is important. That rational voice comes up with some good ideas, and best not leave them go to waste. Putting those ideas into action needs a plan too, no?

I would wager that your bank has a credit assistance office, and since they want their money back some day, they will most certainly give you the help you are looking for. Preparing a budget and sticking to it will be a certainty, since you know you can move through the small challenges now.

You can use each success, even the little ones, to propel you forward. Since you have already accomplished this one thing, now let's move on to the next. Small steps, but always keep moving in that singular direction, whatever direction that might be. Yep, that's the one right there! Onward!
Old 10-14-2014, 11:57 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by 13unluckyforsom View Post
Hijack away buggirl how are u and what do u love lol
Thanks. Everything at the moment lol! Love sobriety!
Old 10-17-2014, 06:34 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Nice work 13! How's this week been going so far?
Old 10-19-2014, 04:37 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

So far so good - had a day off today but back in tomorrow. I think I'm ready for it.
Old 10-19-2014, 04:39 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Slight problem this week tho my works organised a party for us all but I just don't think I can go I can think of nothing that could end worse actually lol