Notices

I Screwed Up

Old 09-02-2014, 01:30 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I Screwed Up

My sobriety date was supposed to be yesterday. Maybe not the wisest date to choose, because I had to meet with an ex. It didn't end on good terms. Nothing to do with alcohol...we were just not very nice to each other. To be fair, he started it (ha ha). Anyway, I planned to have a coffee while I waited for him. Turned out to be a pint instead. Then after he left, I had another three. What stopped me? The price of getting another one. If they had been cheap, I probably would have had more. This is not an original story. Lots of people have to deal with this kind of situation...and it my case, kids weren't involved.

Today. Filled with hope. Out and about getting groceries and doing what needed to be done. Suddenly, a guy on a restaurant patio (accompanied by 3 friends) suddenly falls down, cracks his head on the pavement and begins to have a bit of a seizure and turn this red/purple colour. I whip out my phone and call 911. He insists that he's fine and can talk coherently to the operator. His friends decide not to get an ambulance because he says he just choked on a bit of food. Secretly, I think they should have. A concussion is not to be messed with. They did thank me though.

So. What do I do? I have a pint and now I have a bottle of wine waiting for me. I bought it to cook with (oh, sure). The desire in me to drink is so strong that I feel like tearing every little hair out of my head.

Am I venting or asking for advice? A little bit of both I think. Don't tell me to pour the wine down the sink cause I won't. (I need it for soup). How do you (personally) stop this spinning out of control thing? I just picture this guy's brain bleeding internally. Maybe I should have been more insistent about getting his friends to take him to the hospital.

Also, I don't want to leave the house ever again. There. I said it.
Old 09-02-2014, 01:36 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by Avice View Post
Don't tell me to pour the wine down the sink cause I won't. (I need it for soup). How do you (personally) stop this spinning out of control thing?
You do it by pouring the wine down the sink because it's the right thing to do. The fact that you think you NEED it to make soup is purely your addiction talking.

You do it by making a commitment to quit today, instead of planning a day in the future that most likely will never come.

You do it by surrendering to the fact that you cannot control your drinking, so the only solution is to not pick up the first drink.

You do it by seeking help via SR, AA, counseling, rehab, detox, or any combination of the above.
Old 09-02-2014, 01:37 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

You picture this guy's brain bleeding?
How about picture your own brain for a minute. Your concern for others is admirable. Your concern for yourself needs a little more work.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
alBrain.jpg (7.9 KB, 197 views)
Old 09-02-2014, 01:39 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

OK.
The alcohol seem to be in charge so when the pain bothers you try try again. You'll be welcome.

BE WELL
Old 09-02-2014, 01:40 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

The only time you can quit is now, this instant, this present moment. Fortunately for you, it is the best time to quit, too. Wanting to quit is not enough, it requires comitment and action. What are you going to do about this? Are you ready to make your plan about continuing to use alcohol?
Old 09-02-2014, 01:43 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

The search for the "best time" to stop abusing any substance is pointless. There's really no such thing and it becomes a game of continuing to make excuses.
You should pour the wine in the toilet and find something else to cook for dinner. (and throw away that recipe).
Old 09-02-2014, 01:44 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I cautiously say this. Don't isolate yourself. Alcoholism is a disease of isolation. Out of shame on both ends, the alcoholic and those that care for them, there is shame, fear, all sorts of negative emoations. You need to have someone in your life you are truly able to reveal all to. A face to face support system. I think that has to be one of the most important things in any recovery.

Isolation is lonely. It produces negative feelings that makes an alcoholic want to drink, a drug addict want to use, an overeater want to eat, you see where this is going. You need a support system of someone who can truly understand what you are dealing with and support you.

Good luck and many blessings to you!
Old 09-02-2014, 01:46 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

What an awful thing to witness, sounds like you have had a tough couple of days. I can only speak from experience( 6 days sober I think, I am trying not count) but I know that I would drink to anything, a happy experience, a sad experience, a stressful experience it's Tuesday, it's not Tuesday, each would validate my reason to get wasted, actually all I wanted to do was get wasted. I personally would never tell anyone what to do and it sounds like you have already decided, just know you have support here and people that not necessarily know what you are going through as we are all different, but I and I am sure others know how you are feeling.
Old 09-02-2014, 02:14 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I figured out a novel solution to this problem. Seriously, I don't want to get ratfaced tonight. What I'm going to do is make some garlic butter, mix that in with the wine and dump some tomatoes in there for good measure. Yeah, I'm an alcoholic, but there's no way I'm going to put that in a wine glass and drink it. I also have to Google a source for non-alcoholic wine. There. Problem solved.
God, I do hate this though.
That picture of the alcoholic brain is horrible, and I think about it all the time. I think about how my body isn't absorbing fats properly, which is essential for brain function. This may be too much information, but I couldn't leave the house today until I'd had no less than seven bouts of diarrhea. Try to eat when that stuff is going on. I actually had to get on my hands and knees for a good 10 minutes this afternoon to wait for the pain to pass JUST SO I COULD LEAVE THE HOUSE. Sounds groovy, huh?
I had no intention to get wasted today. The fact that he hit his head on the edge of a concrete sidewalk and turned bloody PURPLE really affected me. Call it an excuse or not. It really did affect me, and it made me realize that I need more...tools to help me when this stress hits.
I can't put this on my friends though. I can't go to AA (please don't ask me why yet). I wish there were...like - a Rent-A-Hug service or something!
Old 09-02-2014, 02:24 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Avice - I think you're still making deals with your addiction - I did that too - the problem with that is that sooner or later my addiction got the better part of the deal....

Dump the wine and eat some nice yummy and non alcoholic soup tonight. What you saw today was horrible but it's no reason to mistreat yourself

D
Old 09-02-2014, 02:31 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Do your best

Right Avice let's break it down

You want to get sober Avice I'm not trying to hurt your feelings but your in complete denial have you listened to yourself I've listened and then I've listened

Avice its excuse after excuse you either face up to it and finally face your addiction to alcohol and break the chains or drown in it. and pls no more excuses if I done it you can do it too pls trust me in knowing that

If you want it then go through WD no more alcohol whatsoever not for garlic butter not for depression its got the better of you

I want to see who the real you is without the alcohol talking

Your going to need help that's obvious and that's where everyone come in were all the same there is no shame just healthy happiness sounds like a dream right ?

Avice if I sound harsh I do apologise were here to help each other I only want to see you truly happy and well and I promise you if u get sober that's what's going to happen but ur never going to know until u get sober and stay sober

Stay in touch
Old 09-02-2014, 02:33 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Well Dee - I actually have another option for dinner. It's gotta be soup, though. My digestive system is going all haywire.
I do like cooking with wine though, so I really do need to find a source for the non-alcoholic kind. Drinking a non-alcoholic beer is a trigger for me. Putting non-alcoholic wine in a soup isn't. Does that make any sense?
Old 09-02-2014, 02:35 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Drinking a non-alcoholic beer is a trigger for me. Putting non-alcoholic wine in a soup isn't. Does that make any sense?
Even if it makes sense, it's still an excuse. There are thousands of kinds of soup you can make that don't involve wine at all.

Bottom line you are in pretty heavy denial of your drinking Avice. You keep talking about relationships, health issues, diet, cooking, everything BUT drinking. The only solution is to stop drinking first - and then work on those other things later.
Old 09-02-2014, 02:37 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Soberwolf. I am definitely not in denial. No way. I know I have a huge problem.
However, I appreciate the fact that you want to see who the real me is without alcohol...and since I've had a few drinks tonight, I might as well sign off and make some soup. Get to bed early.
Thanks to everyone who replied...I'm really glad that this forum exists.
Old 09-02-2014, 02:47 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
quat

Just go to bed with the idea that you can end your addiction, anyone or thing that says otherwise is lying.
Old 09-02-2014, 04:52 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Pressure makes diamonds

Please re read your posts in the morning. See how alcohol affects your judgement? There is a lot of support here- when you really want it.
Non alcoholic beers or wines will keep you on the merry go round of romanticizing having a drink. That's a slippery slope - in my opinion.
Old 09-02-2014, 05:05 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Avice, stay with us. Please post tommorrow so we can see how you are. Remember we are here for you.

Big hugs
Old 09-02-2014, 09:02 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

Well Dee - I actually have another option for dinner. It's gotta be soup, though. My digestive system is going all haywire.
I do like cooking with wine though, so I really do need to find a source for the non-alcoholic kind. Drinking a non-alcoholic beer is a trigger for me. Putting non-alcoholic wine in a soup isn't. Does that make any sense?
I think a nice chicken stock, for example, would make a far better base and be far less astringent than any wine product, alcoholic or not

D
Old 09-02-2014, 09:13 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I figured out a novel solution to this problem. Seriously, I don't want to get ratfaced tonight. What I'm going to do is make some garlic butter, mix that in with the wine and dump some tomatoes in there for good measure. Yeah, I'm an alcoholic, but there's no way I'm going to put that in a wine glass and drink it. I also have to Google a source for non-alcoholic wine. There. Problem solved.
God, I do hate this though.
That picture of the alcoholic brain is horrible, and I think about it all the time. I think about how my body isn't absorbing fats properly, which is essential for brain function. This may be too much information, but I couldn't leave the house today until I'd had no less than seven bouts of diarrhea. Try to eat when that stuff is going on. I actually had to get on my hands and knees for a good 10 minutes this afternoon to wait for the pain to pass JUST SO I COULD LEAVE THE HOUSE. Sounds groovy, huh?
I had no intention to get wasted today. The fact that he hit his head on the edge of a concrete sidewalk and turned bloody PURPLE really affected me. Call it an excuse or not. It really did affect me, and it made me realize that I need more...tools to help me when this stress hits.
I can't put this on my friends though. I can't go to AA (please don't ask me why yet). I wish there were...like - a Rent-A-Hug service or something!
You know, the guy could be epileptic and used to this happening all the time.
Not sure why you can't go to AA (perhaps in a different town if you feel too 'known' in your own, but there is AA online if you needed added support for now, than SR

You're thinking, how I thought back when I first tried to stop drinking. I imagined having to cope with life's problems as I was feeling at the time - all anxious with withdrawals or a system full of booze. It's not like that though, or none of us would stay stopped.
Old 09-02-2014, 10:03 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Avice,

I agree that the last thing we should be talking about is soup. Why use wine at all? When I finally got sick and tired of being sick and tired I had to get all alcohol out of my life. No other problems mattered at all: friends, family, work, soup, nothing could interfere.

Looking back to your other thread, whatever your friend does or does not do can have anything to do with your sobriety. There can be no outside forces that have any influence on your sobriety. Don't even think of it as this big blanket term of sobriety. Think of it as not putting any more alcohol in your mouth or down your throat. I had to cut the booze first and work the rest out later.