Notices

Keep it Sober Weekender Thread Aug 15-17

Old 08-14-2014, 04:29 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Arrow Keep it Sober Weekender Thread Aug 15-17

Hey Weekenders!!

I’ve been given the reigns by Ken to kick off the thread this week!!

I guess it’s quite fitting as my first day Sober after years of drinking was on a weekend, so it takes me back!!

All of my weekends up until then seemed to have a a sense of impossibility to them when it came to not drinking, it was the weekend, time to "enjoy" myself surely? Isn’t that what people do? I’ve been working hard all week, don’t I deserve a drink? I don’t want to be boring, not drinking would be boring, wouldn’t it?

Well I can honestly say, my Weekends took a turn for the better that particular Saturday evening I decided to commit to Sobriety, but it was tough, and because it was tough, that’s why we need a thread for extra support.

So here we are Weekenders, what are you up to this weekend? For those with some Sober time, how did you get through your first few weekends Sober?

All newcomers are very much welcome, if you’re finding things tough, dive straight in, we want to hear from you, lean on the support that this thread provides every weekend, post as often as you want, whatever gets you through it!!

Welcome aboard everyone!! Let’s keep it Sober!!

PK
Old 08-14-2014, 04:34 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thanks, Captain PK! I'm in!
Old 08-14-2014, 04:44 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hello!

Day 4 for me today so it'll be my first weekend. However, I have tasked myself with lots of things to keep busy. Quite looking forward to being able to remember what I get up to.....
Old 08-14-2014, 05:04 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yay!! I'm in!!

I'm over one month sober after a short relapse...I had 8 months before.

Weather is not good here...very, very mixed and unsettled. We get 10 minutes of sun, then an almighty shower...then rinse and repeat.

I love to read and I have been sorting through my stacks of books, which ones I want to keep and which ones I want to give away. I found some cookbooks I forgot I have so I am going to try some new recipes this weekend, read and spend time with extended family on Sunday.

Hope you all have a calm and peaceful weekend
Old 08-14-2014, 05:08 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

I always want to shake my groove when I see PK's avatar!

Yup definitely in. Sober weekends rock .
Old 08-14-2014, 05:09 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

yup, I'm in!
Just adjusting to having my weekends back again! I already have most of the 2 days planned with stuff to keep me busy and out of trouble
Old 08-14-2014, 05:18 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

I am in! Going to DC on Saturday for a baseball game. Spending the night, then home Sunday. Gonna be fun!
Old 08-14-2014, 05:28 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Ah ha! Not shotgun but I'm in for the weekend. In early sobriety I made sure to keep busy. I avoided places where alcohol was served or sold. I talked to people when I was feeling down or stressed out. I made sure to not push myself too much. If you know you are heading into a stressful situation that cannot be avoided, plan in advance how you will handle it. I attend a beginners AA meeting on Fridays to start the weekend alcohol free and to socialize with other people in my situation.

I will check in later. I'm getting ready for work. Even though it's just Thursday morning here, I'm making plans for my weekend. Talk to you all later.
Old 08-14-2014, 05:32 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Movies. I booked a date with myself every Saturday night. I think I saw every new release for my first 2 months sober!

Happy sober weekend everyone, especially those on their first month. It does get soooo much easier!
Old 08-14-2014, 05:59 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thank you. Re-committing to sobriet again today,,after relapse on day 7 yesterday. I made it through last weekend with family, doing,same this weekend
Old 08-14-2014, 06:12 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

This will be my 2nd sober weekend. Our friends were out of town last weekend, which made it 'easier' (?), and they want to get together this Saturday evening. These are close, long-time friends, so I need to figure out the best way to work within the framework of always drinking when with them - without drinking. It'll be interesting, and I am 100% committed to water or tea. I'll be checking in all weekend to keep my head on straight. Thank you for this thread.
Old 08-14-2014, 06:23 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I'm, day 39 for me today. This will be my 6th weekend sober, they are still so tough!! A ton easier than the first couple, but still have to keep my guard up at every corner!

Hoping to take my son scalloping this weekend; last weekend before school starts.

Stay strong all and happy early-weekend!
Old 08-14-2014, 06:37 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I'm at day 14, so I will be over the 2 week mark for the weekend! Yay! I'm not throwing that away by drinking this weekend so I am all in!
Old 08-14-2014, 06:42 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Great to see plenty of the regulars!!

. . . and welcome to a few new faces . . . Emmajems, 080514 and mapp!!

Welcome aboard!!
Old 08-14-2014, 08:02 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Hey sober weekender team!!!!! Weasel is in the house and ready for a sober weekend.

Special thanks to PK for starting us off and hosting this weekend! I just feel I need to take time to nurture myself this weekend after last week. Not quite myself yet. So hosting would not get my full attention.

Some new faces! Awesome and welcome!

When I asked PK to host and mentioned I start it at about noonish I forgot you are in Ireland!!!!! Time difference! Lol

We are all one sober world here huh?

Pulled my back this morning so heading to get a massage later. Step 1 of my all out nurture the kenster weekend I have planned for myself.

*Ring Ring*

Ken
Old 08-14-2014, 08:23 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

"Weekend" music is a little hard to find. I'll try to keep y'all dancin'.

Old 08-14-2014, 08:31 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Emmajems View Post
Hello!

Day 4 for me today so it'll be my first weekend. However, I have tasked myself with lots of things to keep busy. Quite looking forward to being able to remember what I get up to.....
Congrats on day 4 ... Stick with the weekender team and we will be glad to help you through it.
Old 08-14-2014, 08:32 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mapp View Post
Thank you. Re-committing to sobriet again today,,after relapse on day 7 yesterday. I made it through last weekend with family, doing,same this weekend
Welcome mapp... Get back at it after the slip... We are here for you! Glad you joined in!
Old 08-14-2014, 08:39 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hi purpleknight and everyone, sober weekend for me.
Old 08-14-2014, 08:40 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

early start PK? you got ants in your pants
I was away last weekend and wanted to post a photo or two from then. Didn't want to drag out the thread so I put a couple up on my page in the august folder. The Lobster house in Cape May was a mad house so we ended up getting a nice table at the crab house on two mile point. Photos were taken from my seat watching the sunset. have a look. Having a drink didn't even cross my mind at the beach or at dinner.
I can honestly say that after almost 8 months without a drink it is like I never drank.
Those of you new to this, hang on and stick it out. No matter how difficult it seems, as times goes on you are going to be grateful that you found a new way to live. I know I am.
Have a great sober weekend everyone!