Notices

Keep it Sober Weekender Thread Aug 15-17

Old 08-17-2014, 11:13 AM
  # 181 (permalink)  

Noon here. My friend was going to stop in town for a hike, but her uncle had a heart attack last night and she's at the hospital, so she wanted to postpone the hike until later. Alas, I have to be back home by 5pm, so that won't work. I gave her my best wishes, told her to take her time and focus on family. A heart attack is serious business, but it looks like he'll pull through.

Anyway I'm a bit bummed, as I was hoping to get a little social this weekend. But I think I still might just do the damned hike alone. If I leave now, I can be back in a few hours and at least I'll have something to show for the day! Wish me luck....
Old 08-17-2014, 11:16 AM
  # 182 (permalink)  

Sunday lunch with my family. Spending time with my family is super stressful for me, but I won't go into much detail as I'm not in the mood. I did tell them that I am starting voluntary work, giving English lessons to a guy from Africa. I didn't get encouragement. My 89 year old Grandmother didn't ask straight out "is he a rapist?", but it was as close as she could get. I did tell them that I am happy and satisfied, and my aunt looked up from her newspaper and said "well, that's the most important thing".

I know Grandma just worries about me.

On a different topic, the toffee and apple cake went down a treat!

Good luck BigS!
Old 08-17-2014, 11:19 AM
  # 183 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Well, here we go:

Old 08-17-2014, 12:06 PM
  # 184 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Back from the DC trip. Lovely company, horrible eating, crazy traffic, and the wrong team won the ball game. Time to finish out the weekend with a dip in the pool and a massage. Life is so hard.
Old 08-17-2014, 12:07 PM
  # 185 (permalink)  

Love Sundays!
Old 08-17-2014, 01:49 PM
  # 186 (permalink)  

Whew, glad to hear everyone's doing well. Nice to hear you had fun Nons, sounds like a zoo but you can't beat a ball game on a Sunday afternoon. Fandy hope the errm...situation...clears up.

I did go on the hike! It wasn't exactly Mt. Everest but sure does have a great view. I live somewhere in the town below....

Old 08-17-2014, 03:16 PM
  # 187 (permalink)  

Hey Weekenders,

Well it's that time again, Sunday evening and I'm winding down towards bedtime, back to work in the morning, though after this week, I then have a few weeks off work to relax, haven't had a week off since my sister's wedding back in June!!

Thanks to everyone who made the thread this week as always an encouraging and supportive place for all, great to see so many newcomers this week, the thread will be here same time, same place next weekend!!

If you didn't make it, not to worry, tomorrow brings with it another 24hrs to be Sober, we all started with a Day 1, and each day is a new opportunity to begin again on the path of Sobriety, dust yourself off and go at it again!!

I wouldn't have missed sharing this weekend with all of you guys!!
Old 08-17-2014, 03:19 PM
  # 188 (permalink)  

Big Sombrero -- beautiful pic!! Sorry to hear about your friend but so great that you went on the hike anyways.

Nonsensical -- sounds like you had a good time in DC. Well you left just in time b/c its rainy and disgusting here now

Well I had a nice weekend but it wasn't very productive. I dunno...I did some errands but then it kinda felt like I just wandered around alone w/o much purpose. I realized that this happened a few months ago too...that b/c I'm not drinking I'm avoiding social situations (like a bday party I decided to not go to earlier in the week). It is best for me to avoid them, but at the same time, it can get downright lonely.

BUT that all being said, it still felt wonderful being clear-headed and enjoying a cup and a book at a coffee shop at 8am this morning! AND..I don't have to worry about the Monday morning after a weekend binge feeling...and that's totally worth it!

Glad I joined this thread!
Old 08-17-2014, 04:03 PM
  # 189 (permalink)  

Just clicked into Monday 00.01 in the UK. Time flies when you are reading SR and must get some sleep.

I enjoyed the weekend thread and thank you Purple for running it!

Helped me not take a drink today and I get to do a sober and productive Monday at work.
Old 08-17-2014, 04:38 PM
  # 190 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

hey guys... thanks for a great weekend!!!!

PK ROCKS!!!!!!

See you all next Thursday.
Old 08-17-2014, 04:46 PM
  # 191 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tang View Post
I learned one thing. If I forget to post here, I remember to drink. So I must remember to post here in order to forget to drink.
Agree!
Old 08-17-2014, 05:37 PM
  # 192 (permalink)  

Very psyched to be watching football again on tv even if exhibition games. Having to dust off my alarm clock as my summer vacation almost over. I'm not required to be back until Wednesday but I like to ease myself back rather than just jumping back in with both feet. I get in to a pool the same way...hahahaha! Just caught up on this thread and it seems like all had a great weekend; hope the evening is as such for folks. Stay strong this week; you are worth it!
Old 08-17-2014, 06:52 PM
  # 193 (permalink)  

Back On De_Range

Back from our Day Trippin' down to Gunnison CO. Had a fab time in perfect Weather.

The 'Bowl' that ~7,700' Gunnison is in causes it to vie for the record of being the [overall] coldest Town in the U.S.. Results vary by year. When it's nice, it's way nice, however. When it's not, it's -35 F on some Winter nights. Major Shrinkage.

Had this fun and hilarious Lunch at a Burger Joint inside a large Gas Station. Rated very high on 'Trip Advisor', so we gave it a go. Lots of 'Grungers' and Kayakers and Travelers there at the end of the Season. Good People watching and - indeed - an amazing late Lunch. Who woulda thunk? We hadn't been down that way for ~35 years. Back then, we went around Camping out of my Hippie Milk Truck that I used to haul around Sound Equipment to mix Gigs p/t for my Sound Engineering Company: 'Emerald City Sound'.

My Day Job in '78 was Apt. Maintenance At Large. One Property was directly across from 1619 Pine Street in Boulder. That was the Victorian used as the Exterior House Shot for 'Mork & Mindy'. So, that Story is hitting hard because I was right in the midst of all that, being Pals then with the Owner of the major Music Store in Town. Quite the Scene back then that I could not have survived had I remained immersed in it. The older Music Store Co-Owner ODed on Coke, with an Alcohol 'Chaser', in his early 50s a few Decades ago. Live and learn...

Today was much nicer, I must say, with much less Cardiac Stress. My Birthday Girl and I had a good chuckle about how many Tattoos we'd be sporting today, were we in our 20s. My only Tat is a Celtic Wedding Ring of my design. Rings and Bass Guitar Frets and always mucking with Electricity, as I do, don't play well together.

Good Music Vids posted here, so I thought I'd add one. This was considered U2's 'breakout moment' in the U.S. >30 years ago. Where do the time go, eh? This amazing outdoor Venue is due West of Denver, and was a 1930s WPA 'make work' Project to help us out of the Depression. We've seen a number of Shows there, and will be seeing Tom Petty and Steve Winwood in early October on the same night.

Sober Snooze to all. Life is good, and beats all Hell outta the alternative.

U2 - Red Rocks Colorado

------------
Attached Images
Old 08-17-2014, 07:07 PM
  # 194 (permalink)  

Sober me is off to bed. Good night from here, and wishing everyone a pleasant tomorrow!
Old 08-17-2014, 07:32 PM
  # 195 (permalink)  

Great pics everyone! I have been missing on here today and missing being on here today. We are trying to keep my son from being on the iPad and computer all the time. My husband disabled the computer by unplugging the monitor, leaving the iPad. I have a password on it but it seemed hypocritical to be sitting there typing away while he was pining. So I put it down. Missed it.

Olive, that app sounds great. I will look up something like that although I will have to do it on the computer since the phone is super slow.

Heated up the kitchen and baked a ham and made a tuna macaroni salad for lunches this week. Weather is cool and autumn like. Looked like rain all day but nothing came until now but it isn't really raining. A very fine mist is in the air. Really odd weather lately. I wish it would rain. A lot. It's dry and my garden needs it.

Fandy, I wish you luck. Yuck! Hopefully it's a quick and inexpensive fix.

Well, time for ice cream. I hope everyone is hanging in there. The first weekends are the hardest. I had a lot of trouble with unstructured time. Sundays always felt the worst but suffering through Sunday being crabby and discontent beats waking up on Monday with a hangover.

Good night and thanks PK for kicking us off and hosting this weekend.
Old 08-17-2014, 07:40 PM
  # 196 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Old 08-17-2014, 08:19 PM
  # 197 (permalink)  

I love John Denver.
Old 08-18-2014, 01:40 AM
  # 198 (permalink)  

Yay football back on tv, cant say I noticed it had finished.....hubby always finds it or other sport to bore me with..... thank goodness for sr and pepsimax! Xx
Old 08-18-2014, 02:55 AM
  # 199 (permalink)  

My friends and I used to love playing "Rocky Mountain High" and "Country Roads" on guitar and singing along in junior high school!

Mesa Man, is that picture of Emerald Lake? I got pictures of it when I was in Gunnison in the 80s--my brother-in-law lived there for years. Then he moved to Canon City; now he's in Colorado Springs.

Your wife looks pretty terrific for 64! (I'm a woman, so it's not inappropriate for me to compliment her! )
Old 08-18-2014, 05:26 AM
  # 200 (permalink)  

Rockies Overlook Pic

Gilmer ~

We pulled over at 'Hermit's Rest' for one of THOSE Pit Stops required by Females when I snapped that Pic. It's looking down behind Morrow Dam. OK, OK, I was ready for a Pit Stop, too.

Blue Mesa.pdf

Da Wife is more like 34 in that Edinburgh Castle Pic, but good Polack Genes and staying out of the Sun has her looking fine at 64! She graciously accepts compliments from either Gender. All were had by a good time.

On a side note, a Building at Red Rocks Amphitheater - in that U2 Vid Link - is now housing a bunch of John Denver Memorabilia that a Pal helped compile. Also included are things like Elton John's Piano, and various Artifacts from the just-sold Caribou Recording Studio/Ranch. Denver's Widow was very kind is providing his Guitar, and his original Song Books, etc..

Here's some Colorado Scenery you'll recall in a hoot of a Vid Clip shot near Maroon Bells. Of course, we Coloradoans still greet each other traditionally with: 'How's your Aspen'?

John Denver & The Muppets

------