Notices

Keep it Sober Weekender Thread Aug 15-17

Old 08-15-2014, 05:15 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lola23 View Post
ooohh....I should totally do that this weekend. I might, but I might not

Based on the last few weeks and recent slip, this may be a totally "mental health" weekend. Might do a some binge TV watching. Not much of a TV person actually, but got into Breaking Bad last winter when the weather was bad and finished it over just a couple of weeks. Hmm...anyone have suggestions for another series that's worth it?? I need something to suck me in b/c I get distracted easily!

Horrible when you finish a Series!! Especially being the way we are!!

Anyone with anything new??!!
Old 08-15-2014, 05:16 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  

I recommend House of Cards (the Kevin Spacey/Robin Wright version). Fascinating--and Kevin Spacey is just so "deliciously evil."
Old 08-15-2014, 05:17 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gilmer View Post
I recommend House of Cards (the Kevin Spacey/Robin Wright version). Fascinating--and Kevin Spacey is just so "deliciously evil."
Brilliant thanks!!!
Old 08-15-2014, 05:18 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Ohh...good one. Is it on netflix?
Old 08-15-2014, 05:23 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

I have seen it available on Netflix but haven't watched it myself. I am making my way thru Star Trek TNG. I am also thinking that I might try the Stargate series next.

I love Netflix!
Old 08-15-2014, 05:29 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  

Wow, it's Friday morning and already so much activity!

Nons: You going to a Nats game? Sounds fun, would love to hear your feedback on the park, I haven't been out there yet. My buddy and I used to visit a new stadium every summer, we'd fly out to some random city and make a weekend out of it. Never made it to DC but hopefully I'll get back to the tradition someday...

Mecanix: Congrats on striking it out on your own! Good for you - that takes some confidence, and you must have plenty and for good reason. Hats off to you for taking it up a notch, professionally. You seem to always be in high demand, this seems like a well-planned out move on your behalf. Again, well done and congrats.

PK: My first few weekends sober were over 2 years ago. I was in a treatment center. After I got out, I flew home to Chicago. The first weekend there I spent sitting on my couch, in the same exact spot I nearly drank myself to death....nothing had changed, only the drink was missing. I realized pretty quickly that major life changes were going to be needed. I got out of that house ASAP and walked to the park. Even just spending an hour away from my usual haunts made my life brighter. So for all you new folks: see if you can change it up! If you normally play video games and drink on your couch, take a walk to the cafe or park instead, spend a few hours doing ANYTHING else! Good luck all!
Old 08-15-2014, 05:30 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  

Not much of a TV person actually, but got into Breaking Bad last winter when the weather was bad and finished it over just a couple of weeks. Hmm...anyone have suggestions for another series that's worth it?? I need something to suck me in b/c I get distracted easily!
Hi Lola
Orange is the New Black is a pretty great binge watch. So is House of Cards. Last time I needed a binge watch I chose to go to the oldies and did a day of old Dick Van Dyke shows. That was kinda fun.
Old 08-15-2014, 05:34 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  

I'm actually kinda excited that we cannot go anywhere or do that much this weekend. Hubby is on call at work so that means we have to stay in town. We have just been on the go getting home from camping. Our daughter came into town when we got home home and OFF we were again. She is off with her BFF for a few days so life is really quiet right now. I LOVE LOVE LOVE having her home. I'm just getting older and can't be ON and going all of the time any longer. I need naps!!! LOL! OMG - did I just admit that??? Shhhh. . .. don't tell anyone. LOL!
Old 08-15-2014, 05:42 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  

Another Netflix suggestion - Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey! Really exciting, educational - and for me - spiritual. Learning more about the scientific theories of the Universe and life on Earth certainly has a way of putting things into perspective. All the things that had to occur to make our lives possible, wow. Also Neil Degrasse Tyson is a terrific host.

Good morning from the East Coast of the US, Weekenders!
Old 08-15-2014, 05:43 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  

Hi, DoubleFelix!
Old 08-15-2014, 05:45 AM
  # 71 (permalink)  

Count me in, 4 days sober, first sober weekend!!!!
Old 08-15-2014, 05:46 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  

Waiting...

Waiting for another Sunrise here from our Mesa-top Joint that is typified in my Avatar Pic below from last Winter. No Pic enhancement; just the Real Deal. Got the Italian-strength Coffee on, and enjoying the quiet here in the Wild West. To the right of this Pic, to the South, is endless BLM Land around the Gunnison River Gorge. Up on the level, Mesa-top part, I drive the Pooch over for some Free Range Running and schnorting around while I do a lil Hike.

Human Weekend chores include unloading the rest of some Household Goods we hauled over through Monsoon Rains last Wednesday, and hook up some great-sounding 'Infinity' Speakers I got on the cheap from an Indoor Flea Market near our City House. Some Reviews I chanced onto gush on about what superb R&R Speakers these were 'back in the day'. Given how they sounded when tested, they'll vastly improve the sound of my 'second' Stereo System here. It's older Gear I cobbled together that calms the Psyche of this aging Bass Player. I had my first Ham Radio Station by age 11, and mucking around with wiring takes me back to happy times derived 'naturally'.

My 'Big Plan' precludes Drinking, and I don't really wrestle with it anymore. One advantage to aging, I suppose.

A soulful and relaxing Weekend to all...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Mesa Sunrise_700.jpg (78.0 KB, 68 views)
Old 08-15-2014, 05:47 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DoubleFelix View Post
Another Netflix suggestion - Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey! Really exciting, educational - and for me - spiritual. Learning more about the scientific theories of the Universe and life on Earth certainly has a way of putting things into perspective. All the things that had to occur to make our lives possible, wow. Also Neil Degrasse Tyson is a terrific host.

Good morning from the East Coast of the US, Weekenders!

Oh how funny....I was just flipping around last night wanting to watch something and saw this come up and thought it looked interesting. Didn't watch it though, will add it to my list!
Old 08-15-2014, 06:13 AM
  # 74 (permalink)  

I just starting watching this. I'm hooked. I woke up this morning with netflix on 'freeze'. Must have slept though a couple chapters.
Old 08-15-2014, 06:39 AM
  # 75 (permalink)  

Congrats on 4 days, RedheadJen!

Beautiful pic MesaMan, thanks for sharing
Old 08-15-2014, 07:13 AM
  # 76 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Welcome Red... Stick with us and ask if you need anything.

MM... Freaking awesome pic. Love it.

Came home from work early. Told them I don't feel well which is true. Have body aches. I think the massage I got yesterday made me feel horrible today. I will get up later and work it out. But for now I have two kitties that need me. One laying against a leg and the other against my side. They love to lay right there and I never have the heart to move them until I must get up.
Old 08-15-2014, 07:27 AM
  # 77 (permalink)  

Thank you for the welcome and support. I would like to get out with my kids today and do something fun, they so deserve it...mini golf has been suggested I also have a ton of projects around the house that have been put off waaaay too long.

Problem is, I've been kinda stuck in a rut lately, not really doing anything productive

Need to rouse myself out of the lethargy...maybe a little coffee will help!
Old 08-15-2014, 07:37 AM
  # 78 (permalink)  

Hi guys, a bit late,but I'm in. We have an in-law coming into town tomorrow. She used to be a huge trigger for me. Actually, last time she was here I had booze stashed ing the garage so that I could keep myself nice and lit while I appeared to just be sipping a drink or two. Sad times. And if I really reflect, her last visit kicked off the bender that led to quitting. Wow, the first year is really stacked with challenges as we are forced to reflect on all the "reasons" why we drank.
Old 08-15-2014, 07:49 AM
  # 79 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mapp View Post
Thank you for the welcome and support. I would like to get out with my kids today and do something fun, they so deserve it...mini golf has been suggested I also have a ton of projects around the house that have been put off waaaay too long.

Problem is, I've been kinda stuck in a rut lately, not really doing anything productive

Need to rouse myself out of the lethargy...maybe a little coffee will help!
ME TOO!!! I have lost all motivation. (just being a good person....so it is not a bad thing per se, in fact it is a great thing)

I'm in for my 4th weekend in a row. Funny, we are going away on Sunday for three days.......DANG would I sneak booze a few weeks back and get drunk at night......and at the beach etc. It was great. I thought I would never want to do these trips again. It was one of the firs things I thought about when I stopped. (I stopped on one of these trips) Wow was I wrong. They are even easier than being at home. While I do miss the drink, I actually have much more fun if I look at it objectively and I don't obsess and sneak....of and lying. What I actually miss the most....is not the alcohol but the process of sneaking into the beach side bar, the quick beer or two here and there, the beer at dinner etc. I don't miss the feeling of being drunk.....heck, I can't remember the last time I felt drunk. What I'm saying is I am realizing while it is the alcohol, it is the process of putting it into my system that released happy chemicals into my brain. Much like others I have read, even the minute I decided, OK, as soon as I knew, "in five minutes, I'm walking to grab an ice coffee" the chemicals started flowing in my brain because I knew I was grabbing a quick couple of drinks. (sorry for co-opting this thread.....checking in and saying hey).

Have a great weekend, and more importantly, have a great Friday all.
Old 08-15-2014, 07:57 AM
  # 80 (permalink)  

Finally we have a sunny day here

I am going to do voluntary work in my free time - I will be working for a charity here, giving English lessons to a guy. He e-mailed me today to arrange a time and he is SO SUPER EXCITED in the e-mail. His enthusiasm in the message is beginning to rub off on me. I had forgotten how good it is to feel that kind of excitement

Now I have to search through the attic for all my old teaching materials.

I hope you are all having a good Friday!